• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

My files grew by one pixel when saving from psd to jpg

New Here ,
Jun 28, 2021 Jun 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey folks - I've been using a 1920x1080 template that is sized correctly.  Every now and then, when I save the file  as a jpg, it someone adds one extra pixel length - to 1081x1920.  I haven't done anything to change the template, the size is correct, and the next time I use it, i can't replicate the issue.  Has this happened to anyone else before and might you kow what's going on?  Many thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually that would be a 1920 Pixel canvas size change.  Template file should not be overridden unless you are modifying your templates design.  Template are not changed when you use them you save out new files.  Your template file should  not be change at all.  It should still have its 1920x1080px  with the content it has. If you are using a newer version of Photoshop you can change the .PSD extension to PSDT to protect you template from accidental modification.  Your PSDT template will open  as a new unsaved document with you template's layers and content.  You will not be able to accidentally overwrite your template. If your Photoshop opened template document canvas size changes when you populate it.  Something you did populating the template change the documents canvas size. Photoshop does nothing on its own. File size and canvas size are not the same.  File size depends on what the file formats support and how well the document data can be compressed image content plays a big roll there.  More image detail requires saving more data.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

Are you dragging an image into your template, and then resizing it? What is your workflow when you process your images? And what version of Photoshop are you using?

Michelle

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with JJMack. Probably you have added something on the design that have changed the canvas size of the template.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What command you are using to save file? Export As, Save for Web or Save As? From where you are acessing save command? More details and perhaps some screenshot can help us to replicate the problem or to figure out what is wrong.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 29, 2021 Jun 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for all of your responses - but I have to tell you, I really am not changing the canvas size or anything along those lines,  This same exact thing has also happened to other members of the team.  

My process on this is as follows:

I have a pre-exisiting template our team created that I open in Photoshop.  I drag the image I want to resize into the template and size to fit.  When I think it looks good, I "Save As" and make sure the file weight is under 2m and save it as a jpeg.  This does not happen all the time - it happens very rarely.  But when it does, it is always by exactly one pixel.  I'm always using the same exact template and the size of the template never changes.  It's only the jpeg. This same thing has happened with other folks as well.  It's very strange and, since it is not consistent, I can't replicate it on demand.  At no point am I ever going into Canvas Size, not even by accident.  It's not part of my workflow and I can't see how I could even accidentally change that.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your response. I am wondering if because it's not just happening to you, but also to others on your team, that it must be something to do with the template. How was the template created?

Michelle

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are standard for creating templates so we have no idea of what  you template structure is other then you state the Template has a 1920x1080 canvas size.  You tell us drag in image and resize the new image layer for the template.  When you save the populated Document the  Image file canvas  is 1920px x 1081px.   Even  if you resize the layer and position the layer so part of the image is off canvas the template's canvas size does not change  when you save the populated document Photoshop would  save an image file with a 1920px x 1080pc canvas size if you have not resized the document.   If Photoshop is not working correctly try resetting  Your Photoshop Preferences and Photoshop tools.   Photoshop should not resize the image. The Files saved should have a canvas size 1920px bt 1080px.  However  you state its happening to all your users.    Your not telling us something you do when you are populating the document.  The document is being resized.  Are you using any Action or Scripts when your populating your templates.  I something is resizing the document.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JJ,

Have you ever heard of Photoshop working with percentages of pixels? Or does it always work with whole pixels?

Michelle

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop use math the calculate many things.   The results of a relative percentage  often will not be a whole  number there will a fraction and Photoshop will show  number.xxx in Pixel fields.   When it come resizing  Photoshop will round up or down to the nearest pixel there is no such  thing as a part of a pixel.  Guide are relative  to document canvas  sizes so the may well not be on a Pixel boundary.  You will be able to see this  when you zoom way in where you see  pixels displayed large in the Pixels grid you will see guide lines within the pixel grid not on the grid. Also whet you select a pixel with the Eye dropper Photoshop picks the center of the pixel  x.5,y.5 as the pixel location. Photoshop uses precise calculation.    So if some calculation resulted in 1080.55555 Photoshop would round to 1081. Still some resize operation  would be required to produce the 1080.555  result.   Photoshop does not do anything on its own.  A human or so some automated process Action or Script  has Photoshop resize the document.  or add canvas for content aware fill if the canvas is rotated.  Some Process you do populating the template is resizing the document.  A crop with the content aware fill option can actually increase the document canvas size.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So then, could this be what's happening to this template-based image? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are doing  some process that resize the docment.  You are not just adding image layers.  That would not chage the documents size.

Here I dragged in 8.2MP images into a 700px by 500px  Canvas sized document.  While the image layers are huge compared to the canvas the document size is still 700PX by 500PX.

image.pngimage.png

image.png

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 30, 2021 Jun 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I agree with JJMack. I think you are doing some process (adding image or someone else) that resize the document. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines