• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

My photoshop crashed and I lost hours of work

New Here ,
Jan 31, 2019 Jan 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was finishing up my work and went through to save it as a JPEG and right when it saved my Photoshop crashed and my work is now unrecoverable. This is infuriating due to the fact that I'm paying more for essentially a faulty software where my work is not safe. This has happened to me 3 times this week alone and I'm getting frustrated. Any help would be useful.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop is very reliable on a well specified system with a healthy operating system.  In fact there are now more than ten million people with a Creative Cloud subscription, and that would not be the case if the software didn't work properly. 

So what version of Photoshop are you using?
What operating system?Open Photoshop and go ​Help > System Info > Copy ​and paste to this thread.

Mean while, with a flaky system, save your work often.  How long does it take to hit Ctrl S (Cmd S)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 26, 2024 Feb 26, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

that was the worse response i have ever seen, just acting as if you dont know that adobe is just an industry standard stating that its used by millions by choice and not by demand, so unconcious and unprofesional, i litterally saw this post cause im tired of this happening and it happened AGAIN on my BRAND NEW WELL BUILT PC, and its UNNACCEPTABLE for this to happen on a PAID app. instead of just trying to make people mad in this platform try to be helpful or just go on your way and dont waste our time. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Lukasb,

We're sorry to hear about Photoshop crashing, could you please let us know the exact version of Photoshop and operating system you're working on?

Also, when did Photoshop crash, while using a specific tool?

You could try looking in the auto recovery folder and see if you can recover the lost work.

macOS: Open Finder
              Open the Go menu
              Press and hold Alt/Opt to see, and then click on Library.
              From there you can see the path on the bottom of the screen shot: Application Support > Adobe > Adobe Photoshop CC (Version) > AutoRecover

Windows: C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Photoshop CC (Version)\Photoshop CC (Version)settings\Autorecover (Appdata is an hidden folder)

Regards,
Sahil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 19, 2021 Jun 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I'm having a similar issue (it froze while saving and is stuck unreponsive at 0% for a few hours now and I'll probably just have to close it). I followed that path and I can't find anything like Autorecover? Will this only appear once I've closed it and have something to recover, or should it already be there for use when I need it? Or is there another option for avoiding losing the hours of work I put into the piece before it crashed? I have Photoshop 2021

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was finishing up my work and went through to save it as a JPEG and right when it saved my Photoshop crashed and my work is now unrecoverable.

I hate to ask the obvious question but do you not have backup systems in place?

If you're on Windows, you can automatically save multiple versions up to the last keystroke with utilities such as:

https://www.ajcsoft.com/active-backup.htm

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John, I use Shadow Protect after it was recommended by the Premiere Pro forum guys a good few years ago.  It saves incremental backups with a user defined time interval.  You can go in an remount at any of those time points.   You can also set up a boot drive image and boot with that in the case of a catastrophic OS failure.  It only cost me $100 back then.

https://www.storagecraft.com/products/shadowprotect

The down side of this is that you end up with a LOT of storage space.  I have about 32Tb over 16 physical drives.  A good benefit is that if you ever need to reinstall your OS, having none of your data on the boot drive simplifies the process.   Having said that, I do need to reinstall Windows, but I have been putting it off for the last week or so.   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

I just want to encourage you to not wait until you are finished to save your work. I know others have said it above, but as one who has gone through the same issue, I can relate to losing your work--Save often! And, always save your layered file before you do a Save As for your jpg file. The only solace I can give (that comes with experience), is it won't take as long to build it the second time around.

Saving your file after every major change or addition will assure you that you won't lose the whole file and saving often is part of a good workflow. One thing we've all learned is that ALL systems will crash at some point--you just need to minimize the damage they cause when they do.

Michelle

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is why you save as you go. Save after each edit you make. You worked hard on it and the best way to protect you work is to hit Comm+S.

Can you provide info on your system? This will help find what is causing the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 01, 2019 Feb 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I completely agree that to save often is vital. I don’t think I agree that just doing Save (command-S, Ctrl-S) is good because if the last save corrupts (eg power cut) you lose everything, perhaps days or weeks of work. I would advise saving with a new name each time, unless you have a magic backup system that automatically archived each copy. Yes, it takes longer, but so does repeating weeks of work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 29, 2020 Dec 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Literally had the same thing happen just now. Photoshop corrupted the file somehow and I have to do it all over again, if they even let me because now I'll miss my deadline. I didnt wait until the end to save it, I saved it multiple times. Once PS started back up the file was just a single black layer. SUPER frustrating 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 03, 2021 Jan 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have also had this issue. Multiple times with Camera Raw, I've updated it and everything and YES I SAVE MY WORK REGULARLY WHILE WORKING ON IT. Can't find my recovery file ANYWHERE, please help, I am BEYOND frustrated at this point. hours of work gone!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines