• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

New Photoshop 2020: Problems with saving, cursor goes to AFTER ".jpeg" or ".psd"instead of before it

New Here ,
Dec 21, 2019 Dec 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am used to being able to change the filename of my images by pressing the right arrow and then adding something after the file name (but BEFORE ".jpeg" or ".psd"). Now with Ps 2020, I can't do that anymore. Every time I want to change the filename, I have to either click manually, or backspace in order to get to the right place.

Is there any way to change this? I know it's a detail, but it's annoying. Thanks for any help you can give!

Example:

"DSCF10.jpg"

before, changing to "DSCF10 1.jpg" was easy

now it becomes "DSCF10.jpg 1", which automates to "DSCF10.jpg1.jpg" - looks terrible

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 18, 2020 Feb 18, 2020

A report/request on such a problem with Mac OS Cataline exists, feel free to add your vote if it’s the same as yours: 

https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/file-name-and-extension-higlight-when-saving-on-osx

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Dec 23, 2019 Dec 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry that Photoshop is now is not navigating to the correct character space so that you can simply press the right arrow and add a file name. 

Please note that Photoshop only uses the operating system Save As dialog so if there is a recent change in the operating system, that might be causing the issue.

Also, which version of Photoshop and operating system are you using?

Thanks,

Akash

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 16, 2020 Oct 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Akash,

I do not believe this is a Catalina problem. 

I'm on Catalina, and can replicate the problem throughout the 2020 suite, but the behavior is completely fine on Photoshop 2019: I can confirm that right arrow goes to end of filename, NOT end of extension.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 18, 2020 Feb 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem with PS2020. Is there a solution available yet ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 18, 2020 Feb 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A report/request on such a problem with Mac OS Cataline exists, feel free to add your vote if it’s the same as yours: 

https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/file-name-and-extension-higlight-when-saving-...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 04, 2020 Mar 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I've had this problem too since upgrading to MacOS Catalina - very annoying I agree!

I have discovered a way around it that you could try, which I found helps...

When the "Save As" window opens press the Left Arrow Key (the cursor will move to the start of the filename).

Next, hold the Alt key then press the Right Arrow Key and the cursor should go to the end of the filename.

It's not perfect but it's better than manually moving the cursor back across the extension (.jpg).

Hope this helps until there is another solution!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 28, 2020 Oct 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Loads of people are reporting the same problem at the link given above, but Adobe is doing nothing to fix the issue. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 23, 2020 Nov 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am so glad I am not the only one that is super annoyed by this! Yeah it is a minor inconvenience but it definitely slows me down while editing. Hope there is a fix soon!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 23, 2020 Nov 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

»I am not the only one that is super annoyed by this«

Far from it, but considering that the report is over a year old I suspect this is one of the things that might seem »easy« to us Photoshop users but is actually a responsibilities mess (OS-functionality, application-functionality, …). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 20, 2021 Jul 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I think it comes from the fact that when you Save as…, in the dialog box, now the whole file name (with extension) is auto-highlighted. It used to be only the name (without extension) that was auto-highlighted. ;-(

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines