• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

New Photoshop Update Can't save a Jpg?

Community Beginner ,
Jul 14, 2021 Jul 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Updated Photoshop today and of course there's a problem. It no longer offers Jpg as a format to save in? Any thoughts on how to correct this would be helpful.

- Restarted servel times and nothing, still the same.

- I have plenty of memory available.

- I've been on hold with one of many phone numbers for direct help from Adobe, and no help as of yet.

Also I would have no idea on how to rewrite code or whatevers required in that vain.

Hellllpppp nowwwww prettyyyy pleazzzzeeee....

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 14, 2021 Jul 14, 2021

Hi @James First 

As of 22.4.1, you can find png, jpg, pdf, etc., in Save a Copy.

As of 22.4.2 you can revert to the previous behavior in Preferences > File Handling > File Saving Options:

• Enable Legacy Save As
  • Do not append Copy to filename

See this help page for details and cautions:
https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/saving-images.html  

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @James First 

As of 22.4.1, you can find png, jpg, pdf, etc., in Save a Copy.

As of 22.4.2 you can revert to the previous behavior in Preferences > File Handling > File Saving Options:

• Enable Legacy Save As
  • Do not append Copy to filename

See this help page for details and cautions:
https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/saving-images.html  

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

File > Save a Copy, select JPG from the Format drop-down menu.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 03, 2022 Mar 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is a horrible feature. Can I go back to an older version of Photoshop? What is you help phone. I pay a lot of money each year for the Creative Suite and need to save some pictures as ,jpegs!!!!!!! CF

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 03, 2022 Mar 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@CM1st wrote:

That is a horrible feature. Can I go back to an older version of Photoshop? What is you help phone. I pay a lot of money each year for the Creative Suite and need to save some pictures as ,jpegs!!!!!!! CF

Adobe offers the current version of Creative Cloud and one previous. What version are you using that you have just now discovered this, may I ask?

This was driven by macOS so you can complain to Apple. Details here:

https://petapixel.com/2021/05/18/photoshops-save-as-function-has-changed-on-mac-heres-why/ 

Adobe came up with a fix for what Apple broke in PS 2021. 

• you can use File > Save a Copy for your jpegs if your image has features not supported in jpeg (layers, etc.)
    or
  • you can revert to the previous behavior in Preferences > File Handling > File Saving Options

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 05, 2022 Oct 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

These files reduce colour and are not acceptable

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apologies - I was wrong. It does work to go to Save a Copy and select JPEG.

I tried Save in the usual way and then altering the suffix from .jpf to .jpg and that was what reduced the colour.

Thanks for the good advice

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The underlying change behind all this, is that Save now only offers file formats that support all the current properties of the document.

If you have to discard data to fit into the target format, it goes to Save A Copy. Very logical, really, when you think about it.

Jpeg is an extremely limited file format that pretty much doesn't support anything you can do to a file in Photoshop. But note that if the file already complies with the jpeg spec - 8 bit, no layers, no transparency etc - it will appear in Save As.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines