Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Nvidia RTX 3000 Series, Cuda Cores, Photoshop

Explorer ,
Sep 09, 2020 Sep 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm looking for qualified technical support on what to buy regarding the new 3000 series Nvidia Vid cards for my PS useage.

I will be doing a lot of enlarging of various gigapixel photos with the newer type 2 interpolation, (That uses the GPU as I understand it) as well as using a lot of the oil paint feature in PS.

I've been eyeing the new Nvidia cards to hopefully increase the speed of my work. The RTX 3090 has double the cuda cores of the next model down. Thus the premium price.

What I want to know for sure, before spending that sort of money, is, is there a direct correlation to the number of cuda cores and OpenCL to how quickly PS will perform the tasks I mentioned?

Does anyone know?

Thanks so much! 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

There's very little information out there about how Photoshop utilizes the GPU, but I think the RTX3090 would be over kill for Photoshop, the RTX3070 is slightly faster than the RTX2080ti and the RTX3080 is even faster again, both these cards are half the price of the RTX2080ti and the RTX3090.

What GPU do you currently have and have you checked to see how the GPU is been utilized when working on such large files.

There's some info here about Photoshop and GPU's

https://www.pugetsystems.com/recommended/Recommended-Systems-for-Adobe-Photoshop-139/Hardware-Recomm...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply. I agree that for most PS uses, a 3090 would be
overkill. However, given my usage scenario, the ability to process
gigapixel size images on blowing up using preserve details 2.0, and on oil
paint for my needs, would benefit from a faster GPU. Thus my curiosity if
more cuda cores = more powerful OpenCL/PS functions specific to my needs.
If double the cuda cores doesn't do much for PS and my specific needs, then
yes, I would not want to spend that amount of money!

I have a GTX 1070 right now. I don't think Vram will impact my usage
scenarios above much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you thought about https://topazlabs.com/gigapixel-ai/

Even their system requirements optimal recommentation for a GPU is GTX1080 or higher

https://help.topazlabs.com/hc/en-us/articles/360012811791-Gigapixel-AI-System-Requirements-

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 10, 2020 Sep 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did try the Topaz plug and I found it very slow for even regular pics, much less a 300K x 300K image if it could even handle that maximum? Their plugin however does do a great job for final results. Thank you for your replies on my topic!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You haven't mentioned the other important aspects of your PC configuration

Processor type and speed

System drive, SSD or HDD, scratch disk size and is it on a SSD or HDD

RAM, how much RAM do you have

All these are very important when working with extremely large images, I don't think you'll find much difference editing in Photoshop 2020 with a RTX3080 vs a RTX3090

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may be correct. That's why my question. If cuda cores make a big difference or not with Open CL? If they do, then double the cuda cores may be fast enough to justify the expenese. If not, then yes, it's a waste of money and a 3080 would be fine.

I'm working on a dual Xeon server, 16 cores, with 352GB of ram and even that is not enough! I use an SSD also. Need to move up to an NVME drive.

I'm working on a project that will take another couple of years. It's immense in scale, work and time. This is not a one off thing I'm doing. A nice bump in speed for my needs would be very helpful.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only thing that I can suggest is to head over to the Adobe Feedback Forum, Adobe engineers monitor that forum and may be able to provide more info in relation to your query, you can post a link to this thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great, thanks, I'll give that a try! Appreciate your time!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 31, 2021 May 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I will only tell you that any RTX 30xx I have tried had issues in PS. To the extent that PS runs faster without GPU support than WITH GPU support.

Bostjan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines