• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

One of the weirdest bugs/glitches I've ever seen... jpg file size.

Community Beginner ,
Jan 13, 2020 Jan 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I received 3 files from an agency in layers. Relatively medium in size, about 34 megs each.  If I flatten them and save as jpgs, they are ALWAYS 24 megs.  I've changed image size to 1"x1" at 72 dpi and every size in between and they are always 24 megs.

I had a coworker try it on his desktop, our server, same exact result.  We even tried making a new document, flattening the problematic file and dragging it in and saving it - same result 24 megs. 

Even tried saving as a different format png - same thing!  

Both of us have never seen this in 20 years of using Photoshop. We have checked color settings and profile, color mode, bit depth, channels, layers, etc. nothing works.

Anyone else experience this?  By far, the strangest thing I've encountered.  

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Community Expert , Jan 13, 2020 Jan 13, 2020

Try Save for Web, quite likely the files carry (useless) Ancestors metadata. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Jan 13, 2020 Jan 13, 2020

There is a Script available to remove Ancestors metadata, please see if it makes a difference for you: 

https://forums.adobe.com/message/8456985#8456985

That metadata is carried over when copy/pasting a composite image into a newly created blank one (see File > File Info > Raw Data) by the way. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , May 07, 2021 May 07, 2021

I have updated the following blogpost with a solution for automating the removal of photoshop:DocumentAncestors metadata in smart object layers:

https://prepression.blogspot.com/2017/06/metadata-bloat-photoshopdocumentancestors.html

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try Save for Web, quite likely the files carry (useless) Ancestors metadata. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That worked!  What in the heck could that have been?  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ancestors metadata probably … check out File > File Info > Raw Data for the original files.

There may be a huge amount of accumulated information that you do not actually need or want. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a Script available to remove Ancestors metadata, please see if it makes a difference for you: 

https://forums.adobe.com/message/8456985#8456985

That metadata is carried over when copy/pasting a composite image into a newly created blank one (see File > File Info > Raw Data) by the way. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks!  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Inside of Raw Data by the way it says "Cannot display raw metadata,contents too large"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you share the file, if you blank out its contents?

I think that the Ps engineers might want to take a look at the file, and see if they can fix the issue in future versions, if you post a thread on the topic at https://feedback.photoshop.com an engineer or QE might be interested by the file, don't delete them all!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How/where can I upload the file? It's not sensitive info, no need to blank out the contents. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 17, 2020 Jan 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Once you've posted on feedback, you can link there to a file hosted on your creative cloud space...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 07, 2021 May 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have updated the following blogpost with a solution for automating the removal of photoshop:DocumentAncestors metadata in smart object layers:

https://prepression.blogspot.com/2017/06/metadata-bloat-photoshopdocumentancestors.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 07, 2021 May 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Great article. Thanks for sharing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines