• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

overwritten files not saving with current date

Explorer ,
Jul 19, 2021 Jul 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've searched for the answer and couldn't find it, but now I'm baffled.
When I open an existing file and make a change to it and "Save As" (to create a new file name) the date I'm getting is the original file save date - even though I made a change and saved it with a new file name. If I create a NEW canvas and paste the same image, it gives me the current date when I choose "Save As". Why is it giving me the original file save date on the hard drive? This is making it impossible to sort my files by current date unless I create a new file. In older versions, if you saved a file with a new name it gave you the current date!  Thanks again.. sorry to be inundating people with these issues, they're all on the subscription version and it's frustrating.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are two dates recorded in metadata: created date and modified date. You see the former, but want the latter.

Both should be listed in the operating system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So why would every other program - including adobe programs - show the latest save date, but Photoshop shows only the original date? I didn't set it up that way - I clearly wouldn't have. I don't really have any need for displaying both dates -  not that I would know how to do that.  Seems like just another dumb thing they did with Photoshop to keep amateurs  like me guessing. lol

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Mascot Graphics Depending on the details you select, you can show multiple dates. Actually, it is a bit odd in a random test I just did. For image 0001, "Date" is a date that must have come with the image because I only recently downloaded it. "Date Created" is not when I first opened the file on my system. That would be the earlier "Date Modified" date. But that's not really intuitive to me now that I study it. Image 0002 is the "Save As" version I just made after I changed something in the file. Both the Created and Modified date are today. That's a bit confusing, too, without comparing the dates to 0001.

JainLemos_0-1626726691591.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I really don't understand this because it's only in Photoshop, no other program on my computer does this. I just opened an illustrator file, saved as with a new file name, it shows a date of 7/19/2021, while the original file was 2019.

The only way a Photoshop file will save with the current date is if it's a new canvas, as in, I didn't open an existing file. Any image I open in photoshop retains that original save date indefinitely, even when I save it to a completely different drive.

I only have one date shown in File Explorer, and for every other program on my computer, if I Save As, the file always get the current date. As I mentioned, this is only happening with Photoshop Subscription Download. very strange... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 20, 2021 Jul 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it is strange and I think problematic or even a bug unless there is some new setting we don't know about. I don't remember date tags for images being like this and I rely on dates quite frequently myself. FYI, if you click on the toolbar area you can add any details from a long list. Look at all these for Date, most of which produce empty results for image files.

JainLemos_0-1626800139563.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Date Last Saved might be useful. I'll test it out!

JainLemos_0-1626800448615.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm trying to wrap my brain around why they defaulted to this method - and only with the newest versions of Photoshop and not the rest of the suite. Do you know anyone who sorts every piece of artwork by the creation date - including updates to artwork?  I can't imagine it. LOL

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines