Pattern Preview suddenly stopped performing in Photoshop 22.4.2 on macOS Catalina - NVIDIA GTX 660M

New Here ,
Jul 08, 2021 Jul 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a monthly sub for PS, which auto updates with the latest versions, so I'm currently running the 22.4.2 release on an iMac (27" late 2012 with NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M 512MB graphics card and 24GB RAM).  Back in Oct 2020 I was delighted that Adobe had finally launched the new Pattern Preview function with the new v.22.0 major release. I've used it on several occasions since then with no problems. I tried to use it for a new project yesterday but I'm repeatedly presented with the error message "Pattern Preview mode will work, but the preview is only visible in OpenGL enabled document windows". It does NOT work at all and nothing I have tried changes that. I had no idea what the message meant, but after two days of non-stop googling, it appears that it may be related to my graphics card. Further googling has revealed (on Adobe's own website) that "the Photoshop hardware requirements for Processor and Graphics card have increased for version 22.x". Ok, that's not good... but if the requirements were updated with v.22 in Oct 2020, then why have I only just started to experience this issue? More googling tells me that as I'm running macOS Catalina v.10.15.7 with more than 16GB of RAM, I now need to have a GPU with Metal support, which it appears, mine does have. One other thing... during literally hours of trawling the internet, something that was referenced repeatedly was to make sure that 'use graphics processor' is ticked in PS>Preferences>Performance. I have not been able to do this as it is greyed out. One of Adobe's troubleshooting suggestions to 'un-grey' this option was to click on the button 'Reset Preferences on Quit', which I've tried but it has made no difference apart from wiping all my saved settings.  Despite endless searching for a chat or telephone facility to speak to a real-live-human-being at Adobe, I have just literally gone round and round in circles on their help pages and am now at my wits' end. I would be so grateful if somebody with knowledge of this issue could PLEASE HELP ME!

PS. I am definitely not a techy person!

Many thanks

Bee

{Thread title edited by moderator}

TOPICS
Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 09, 2021 Jul 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

We're sorry about the experience with Photoshop. The reason the option to Use Graphics Processor is greyed out is to ensure an old graphics or obsolete drivers do not cause the application to malfunction or crash.

With the latest version of Photoshop 2021, we recommend a graphics card which has a score of 2000 or higher on the GPU compute benchmark. The card that you're using has a score a little over 600. Please check: https://www.videocardbenchmark.net/directCompute.html

For more info, you can also check: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/photoshop-cc-gpu-card-faq.html

Regards,

Nikunj

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 11, 2021 Jul 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for replying. 

Like I said, I'm no techie... I've studied the benchmark scores in the link you posted but it means nothing to me, it's like another language. There appears to be a score of 1,800 shown alongside my current card but maybe I'm not looking in the right place, as you have said that it has a score a little over 600? Could you explain how all this relates in layman's terms please? It would be helpful if you could advise what options I have to consider in order to get the latest version of PS fully functional again. I'm definitely not looking to purchase a new iMac, but am prepared to upgrade the graphics card - if I knew what to look for - provided pricing is relatively in proportion to the age of my Mac. Could you point me in the right direction please? I guess I also have the option of installing the previous version, but would prefer to leave this as a last resort.

Also, a gripe to pass on to those concerned at Adobe... automatic updates are great when they don't impact existing hardware, but wouldn't it make sense to pause auto updates whilst announcing an early warning to customers of major changes to minimum system requirements? I had no prior knowledge of this at all and I can't believe I'm the only person who has discovered by accident that my system is, in part, no longer compatible with the latest version. I've spent endless hours and lost all my settings, in looking for the cause as to why a tool is no longer functioning whereas, had I been forewarned, I could have chosen to pause the latest update whilst I figured out how to approach the problem.

Thanks for your help,

Bee

@nikunj.m wrote:

Hi,

We're sorry about the experience with Photoshop. The reason the option to Use Graphics Processor is greyed out is to ensure an old graphics or obsolete drivers do not cause the application to malfunction or crash.

With the latest version of Photoshop 2021, we recommend a graphics card which has a score of 2000 or higher on the GPU compute benchmark. The card that you're using has a score a little over 600. Please check: https://www.videocardbenchmark.net/directCompute.html

For more info, you can also check: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/photoshop-cc-gpu-card-faq.html

Regards,

Nikunj

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines