Jul 14, 2021 Jul 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi, how do you fill a path with color?  

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Just right click on the path and select fill path

2021-07-14 17_17_07-Untitled-1 @ 50% (RGB_8) _.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Note that when you fill a path as per Ged's instructions, you are putting pixels on the current layer. The path and pixels no longer have any connection to each other and are edited / moved / adjusted independently. 

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried but the path doesn't fill after me click okCapture.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have to have the pen tool selected. The screenshot shows you have the eyedropper selected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the pen tool is selected Capture.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK I see it is in this screenshot and it still doesn't fill?  This has happened to me, and for some reason it sometimes loosens up if I go CTRL/ALT/Delete (Windows 10) and then "Cancel."  When I go back to Photoshop, everything is working again. I don't know why.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe the path has to closed in order to be filled. Going off memory, though.  xD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Neither of these worked.  I don't understand 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I got it.  I was on the path option not the shape option 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"how do you fill a path with color?" 

By @mindyt743513

Ged's answer is correct for the question that was asked "how do you fill a path with color" and the path does not need to be closed.

janee_0-1626297150861.png

When you choose "Fill Path" with the Pen tool selected, PS jumps by itself to the Eyedropper. (I had not noticed this before!)

janee_2-1626297380861.png

The path is then filled with pixels on the current layer and the Pen tool is selected again.

janee_3-1626297431445.png

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I love your screen shots Jane.  How do you get those lovely big tool icons though?  

You made a good point earlier about filling a path as a raster layer ends its connection to the work path.  You could follow up with using a Fill Solid Color that make the work path into a shape layer retaining it as a vector object.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Trevor.Dennis wrote:

I love your screen shots Jane.  How do you get those lovely big tool icons though?  

Those 2x resolution screen captures come naturally when you do them on a display set to Retina (Mac) or HiDPI (Windows). For example, if I shoot a 600 x 400 pixel dialog box that is on my standard external display, the file will be 600 x 400 pixels. If I shoot the same dialog box on my Retina MacBook Pro display, the file will be 1200 x 800 pixels — same content, but 2x the detail.

You can hack your way there on a 1x display if your OS allows choosing a Retina/HiDPI setting on any of your connected displays, but this is usually not in the default list of resolutions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I like Jane-E's answer because it doesn’t require converting the path to a selection first. I did not account for this in my reply, so we’ve come up with three ways to do it!

Fill Path is actually a variation on using a path to fill a region of a pixel layer, so it’s still less flexible than using a shape layer. But I also wanted to mention that for those who are not used to right-clicking, or are using a Mac mouse or trackpad where right-click hasn’t been enabled, you can get to the commands such as Fill Path by clicking the Paths panel menu.

Photoshop-Fill-Path.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Be aware that there are two ways to fill a path.

The older way is where you convert the path to a selection and fill that. You end up with filled pixels on a layer. The disadvantage is that it’s no longer a vector path, so if you need to change the filled area, you have to go back and edit the path, convert it to a selection again, and fill it again.

Photoshop-fill-path-selection.gif

The newer way is fewer steps, faster, and much more flexible: Before you draw, you make sure the Pen or shape tool is set to Shape in the options bar, so when you draw, it creates a shape layer (a layer with vector objects, like Adobe Illustrator). You can control the fill and outline of shape layers directly, using the Fill and Stroke settings in the options bar. And when you edit a shape layer’s path directly (if it is selected in the Paths panel), the fill and stroke update along with the edited path because they are attached to it.

Photoshop-fill-shape.gif

So start by deciding whether you want to end up with a pixel layer or a vector shape layer, and set the options bar to Path or Shape accordingly. Then use the fill method that goes with how you set it up.

And it’s useful to understand that a path alone is not fillable because a path alone cannot be printed or exported; a path is just a framework. If you want a path to create an object that you can fill, print, or export, what you fill with the path must be a pixel layer or shape layer. Only layers can be printed or exported.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You can also go Edit>Define Custom Shape before deleting the path. Now you have it in your shapes. I do this if it's something I'll use again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines