• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Pen Tool Not Working as it should

Community Beginner ,
Mar 10, 2021 Mar 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have just updated Photoshop to v22.3 (10 March 2021). When I try to use the Pen Tool it puts the nodes in but doesn't create a linking line. I have closed everything and re-started my PC but the error still there. I've been trying to find a way to report this to Adobe but this is the only feedback area I can find. I have been using Photoshop for over 20 years and using the Pen Tool all that time. I need to complete a job but I'm now stuck as I need this tool.

Can I uninstall this update?

Anyone else having this problem?

Do Adobe monitor this feed?

TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
replies 370 Replies 370
Community Expert ,
Mar 10, 2021 Mar 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, seems to be connected to the existence of a Work Path … if one  exists the Pen Tool seems to behave as intended.  

bugReportPenToolUnconnectedPat-0091eb37-89a5-4303-9688-dfdfffe79137-436495303.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 20, 2021 Apr 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There always has to be one attack in every thread. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 12, 2021 Apr 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First off: I deny any such obsession. 

I know that I have made mistakes in my own work sometimes. 

Luckily those mistakes usually don’t affect as many people as when some individual or team at Adobe makes a comparable blunder within the framework of their jobs. 

So I don’t want to criticize those individuals too harshly just for making mistakes. 

Whether those mistakes are addressed in a timely fashion is naturally another matter. 

And there is another point:

The people who process and assess the Reports and Requests from this site are in all likelihood neither the programming staff that might have introduced/overlooked a bug nor the managing staff that made allocation or strategic decisions that might have contributed to the problems. 

Through the »miracle« of division of labour it seems one is hardly likely to ever directly address the actual person/s one might like to criticise here – so it seems better to try and keep polite …  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 12, 2021 Apr 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@christoph_pfaffenbichler

why are you so obsessed with defending adobe; a company that doesn't know or care that you exist. to them you are nothing but a source of money.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 17, 2021 Mar 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I removed the accepted answer as it is a workaround, while the current version seems to have a bug that might need to be addressed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 12, 2021 Mar 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Christoph. Thanks for answering all the points in my call for help. I have installed the previous version of PS and completed the task I was working on successfully. I very much appreciate your help. Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 21, 2021 Jun 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@sam2586 I'm trying to downgrade to the last version, but when I click on the 3 dots like you said, I only have the option to uninstall. Do you know of another way I can downgrade? I need to use my pen tool for a project this week. 😩

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 13, 2021 Oct 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same thing for me.  The pen won't create a path, but keeps making a shape.  It's really odd because I've been using the pen tool in Photoshop for years, and I am updated to the latest version.  I'm going to go to previous version...I'm frustrated

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I updated.  It didn't correct the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@beatrice shimizu Is this pop-up set to Path or Shape? If Shape, set it to Path.

JeffreyTranberry_0-1634144689399.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 23, 2021 Mar 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just like the subject line says, I've run into what looks like a serious bug in Photoshop 22.3.0. When I try to draw a path using the Pen Tool no path is displayed at all when it is drawn. The anchor points are the only thing showing up visible. I've rebooted my computer system and that hasn't fixed the issue. This glitch makes the Pen Tool worthless while the bug persists.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Follow up post: I launched a new document and tried the pen tool there. It worked properly. Then I went back to my previous layout and it started working properly there too. Edit: the behavior is intermittent. Sometimes the paths will draw properly. But then it goes back to not drawing paths at all. When I zoom in tight the buggy behavior returns.

Another observation: If I start drawing a fresh "work path" it will draw out properly. But if I double click on the Work Path in the Paths Palette to "save" it any new paths being drawn lay down without any paths, just anchor points. This is definitely a bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Bobby Henderson 

This bug has been reported to Adobe. You can add your comments to the feedback forum where the product developers will see them:

https://feedback.photoshop.com/conversations/photoshop/photoshop-2230-pen-tool-not-working-as-it-sho...

The workaround is to create a work path and name it, or return to 22.2 using the CC app.

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sort of glad to find I'm not the only one running into the issue. Hopefully the development team will have a fix released soon. For now, I guess I have to leave a dummy Work Path present in the paths palette to get other named/saved paths to behave properly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're welcome, @Bobby Henderson. We are hoping it is fixed in the next patch.

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have noticed the same issue recently. I find that restarting Photoshop usually helps. It certainly is a frustrating bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems that Adobe would test their products more thoroughly before release and update, but I suppose it's more profitable to use the free Beta testers (aka the paid subscribers) to locate any issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 26, 2021 Mar 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the same issue. Already wasted 2 hours on it. Please fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 26, 2021 Mar 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was hoping the maintenance update Adobe released yesterday would address the problem. Unfortunately it has not. It seems the only easy workaround is making sure a Work Path is present in the Paths Palette in addition to any other named paths there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 04, 2021 May 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

May 4 2021 and I'm having the same issue...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 14, 2021 Jun 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Me too- When is this going to be resolved? Absolute nightmare and defeats the object of using the pen tool! 

Trying to cut out products blind. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 14, 2021 Jun 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@D M5FED wrote:

Me too- When is this going to be resolved?

It was resolved three months ago in Photoshop 22.4. See details here:

https://feedback.photoshop.com/conversations/photoshop/photoshop-2230-pen-tool-not-working-as-it-sho...

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 02, 2021 Jul 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Community Guidelines: "Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting." Honestly, I can't think of a kind and respectful way of expressing my frustration with the rolling blackouts of tools that have worked for a decade. Or the reversal of tool hot keys. Or any number of work impeding events since CC launched. I AM HAVING THE SAME ISSUE, and need to actually have Pshop work. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 02, 2021 Jul 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @scotti16514344 

What version are you using? To find out:

• Mac: Photoshop menu > About Photoshop
  • Win: Help > About Photoshop

This has been fixed and you may need to update.

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 24, 2021 Aug 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I am using the latest version and have just started having this issue. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines