• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Pen Tool Not Working as it should

Community Beginner ,
Mar 10, 2021 Mar 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have just updated Photoshop to v22.3 (10 March 2021). When I try to use the Pen Tool it puts the nodes in but doesn't create a linking line. I have closed everything and re-started my PC but the error still there. I've been trying to find a way to report this to Adobe but this is the only feedback area I can find. I have been using Photoshop for over 20 years and using the Pen Tool all that time. I need to complete a job but I'm now stuck as I need this tool.

Can I uninstall this update?

Anyone else having this problem?

Do Adobe monitor this feed?

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , May 13, 2021 May 13, 2021

Hi,

We're happy to announce the release of Photoshop 22.4 which should include the fix for this issue. To update Photoshop to the latest version, you can check: https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/help/creative-cloud-updates.html

For information on other issues fixed with this update, please check: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/fixed-issues.html

Regards,

Nikunj

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 370 Replies 370
370 Comments
LEGEND ,
Mar 22, 2021 Mar 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the hint and the link. That works well and so I can hope that Adobe will solve the problem much more relaxed

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 23, 2021 Mar 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just discovered this the other day. I spent 1 hour online with Adobe support which went nowhere. They suggested I use an older version and claimed not to know about the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The important thing (for now) seems to be that there is a work-around and rolling back Photoshop is not necessary because of this issue – other people may have to do so because of other issues, though. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a known issue in the current version:

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/known-issues.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here.  I did find that I had to dupe the existing path into a Work Path to edit the points. This is a serious production issue here

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just like the subject line says, I've run into what looks like a serious bug in Photoshop 22.3.0. When I try to draw a path using the Pen Tool no path is displayed at all when it is drawn. The anchor points are the only thing showing up visible. I've rebooted my computer system and that hasn't fixed the issue. This glitch makes the Pen Tool worthless while the bug persists.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, one just needs to maintain a Work Path to be able to work on the named Paths … 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Follow up post: I launched a new document and tried the pen tool there. It worked properly. Then I went back to my previous layout and it started working properly there too. Edit: the behavior is intermittent. Sometimes the paths will draw properly. But then it goes back to not drawing paths at all. When I zoom in tight the buggy behavior returns.

Another observation: If I start drawing a fresh "work path" it will draw out properly. But if I double click on the Work Path in the Paths Palette to "save" it any new paths being drawn lay down without any paths, just anchor points. This is definitely a bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, but for me it is an issue when adjusting existing paths. For example Path 1 needs to be made into a Work Path to be edited and the re-saved as Path 1.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I cannot draw paths with the pen tool unless there is a Work Path in the document.

Steps to repro:

• With no paths in doc start to draw a path using the pen tool. Work path will be created and Pen tool functions as expected.
  • If that work path is then converted to a named path trying to draw any further paths with the pen tool will result in only bezier handles appearing onscreen, with no path/curve joining them.
  • If a new work path is created then you can a) draw paths on the work path, b) drawing new paths onto the existing named path layer works as expected.
  • Creating a new path with no work path in the doc gives the same result - can only draw points, with no curve joining them

Win 10, PS version 22.3.0, RTX 2060, Studio driver 451.77

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Bobby Henderson 

This bug has been reported to Adobe. You can add your comments to the feedback forum where the product developers will see them:

https://feedback.photoshop.com/conversations/photoshop/photoshop-2230-pen-tool-not-working-as-it-sho...

The workaround is to create a work path and name it, or return to 22.2 using the CC app.

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sort of glad to find I'm not the only one running into the issue. Hopefully the development team will have a fix released soon. For now, I guess I have to leave a dummy Work Path present in the paths palette to get other named/saved paths to behave properly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems that Adobe would test their products more thoroughly before release and update, but I suppose it's more profitable to use the free Beta testers (aka the paid subscribers) to locate any issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're welcome, @Bobby Henderson. We are hoping it is fixed in the next patch.

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have noticed the same issue recently. I find that restarting Photoshop usually helps. It certainly is a frustrating bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Didn’t you understand what I wrote? 

Create a Work Path – one PathPoint is enough. 

Then you can work on the existing Paths as expected. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Mar 24, 2021 Mar 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See the screen recording: 
bugReportPenToolUnconnectedPat-8beb8571-88a4-4f24-8d22-1ed55522386b-434648261.gif 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank You.  I now understand. Obviously this bug is a workflow slowdown

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue, any word when an update will be released?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 25, 2021 Mar 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

and it is still happening.  Trying to create a path around an object and it continues to stop working.  On a new iMac 2020 Intel chip, running OS Big Sur version 11.2.3 - I have used this program for over 20 years and know its not a traditional function.  I've reset the tool, closed and opened Photoshop.  Restarted the computer.  I am using a wireless bluetooth apple mouse, apple keyboard. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, to be able to work, you need a working path, merging with the main thread on the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have found that if I stop, save and reopen the issue goes away for a brief period of time.  I have a feeling its the new OS.. my laptop at home hasn't had any issues pathing and is an older macbook pro.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Mar 26, 2021 Mar 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

… maintain a work path and working on named paths should function as expected. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the same issue. Already wasted 2 hours on it. Please fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was hoping the maintenance update Adobe released yesterday would address the problem. Unfortunately it has not. It seems the only easy workaround is making sure a Work Path is present in the Paths Palette in addition to any other named paths there.

Votes

Translate

Translate