• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Pen tool unexpected behavior in release 22.4.2

Community Beginner ,
Jun 15, 2021 Jun 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been using Photoshop for over 2 decades now, but it has always been on Macs with older versions.  For example, the newspaper I work at uses CS 5.5.  So I now have 22.4.2 on my PC at home and we are converting to Adobe CC on PCs at work this week.  So what is really killing me is the pen tool in 22.4.2.  For some reason, a straight line shoots from anchor point to anchor point when drawing curves.  This is beyond distracting and I have looked everywhere to turn this off or fix it.  Every brand new tutorial out there simply does not mention this.  Also, when drawing a path, the curves appear on screen just fine (except for that every present extra line), but when I just click for a straight line, the line does not appear nor does the anchor point.  I can see it in the paths palette, but not on my canvas.  It's as if I didn't draw the point at all and am drawing blind.  I certainly hope someone can clear this up.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jun 15, 2021 Jun 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On Windows Photoshop can use two different Pen Interfaces  either WinTab or Microsoft INK.  Also  Microsoft system INK support can interfere with  Photoshop operation whether WinTab or INK interface is being used.  If Windows system INK support is not configured to work well with Photoshop.

I use WinTab for old version of Photoshop only have WinTab support. I also feel WinTabs support performs better then INK with Photoshop. My Pen device is a Wacom device.  

Here is how I configure  Windows, Photoshop and Wacom to work together well  using either WinTabs or Windows INK.

PenConfig.jpg

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 16, 2021 Jul 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great post @JJMack 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 19, 2021 Jul 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I am speaking of the pen tool, not a pen device.  Hopefully this screen snip will show with the resolution I save it in.  Anyway, no anchor points show when I place them.  I click, it's there, but I don't see it.  So - one anchor point (no show), next anchor point and drag to create a simple arc.  A LINE CONNECTS THE FIRST ANCHOR TO THE SECOND on a straight line trajectory that has nothing to do with my path.  Seriously, if I can't fix this issue, it (and a few other frustrations) will get me to kick CC to the curb and continue with 5.5.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hang on. You experience the same problem, too? Whenever you want to draw a curve or line, an extra anchor appears and distracts you? That happened to me. Very annoying.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not use my Wacom pen with the pen tool to make Paths. I use my mouse. It is to easy to accidentally drag get a curve  wrong control point type and even extra control points using the Wacom pen.  The mouse is a much better device to use making paths. It slow and steady even in  my 80 year old hangs.  Wacom pen  accidence oftennnnnnnn. On curve segments active anchor points have handles these are not extras lines they are part in the path interface you can adjust the curve path shape using them. You uset them withe the pen tool abd modifier keys Ctrl and Alt... The modifier keys are easer to use with the mouse for me also then with the wacom pen.

image.png

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't use a pen, either. Strictly mouse, and now the pen tool is whacked.
This is a major concern for me, as we are switching over from Mac to PC at
work, our clunky Adobe CS5. 5 replaced with CC. I run PCs and CC at home,
so I know that this bit of fresh botheration is going to bottleneck
production when I am called upon to do a photo illustration. Still no
remedy for an issue that has ruined Photoshop for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines