• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unable to save files using "Save As" option in Photoshop 2020

Community Beginner ,
Apr 03, 2020 Apr 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, I was working on a rather important project and I was ready to save the file like any other time. However, when I went to 'file', scrolled down to 'save as' and clicked it, nothing popped up like it would normally. I have previesly saved a file before on Photoshop 2020 with no issues until yesterday and today. Anyway I can try to fix that? Not being able to save my work is a little frustrating. 

(I use windows 10)

Thank you in advance!

(EDIT: I can't save anything, no matter the file.

EDIT 2: I've also found out I can't open a new file anymore.)

TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Apr 04, 2020 Apr 04, 2020

Uninstall it and then reinstall Adobe Photoshop 2020. I'm sure it works.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Apr 04, 2020 Apr 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like a file corruption, did you do a lot of work on the document without saving it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See, that's one thing I should mention. I can't save anything at all, even a fairly small file. Everytime I press 'save as' I get the window's error noise and nothing pops up. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try resetting the preferences.
To restore preferences quickly using a keyboard shortcut:

Press and hold Alt+Control+Shift (Windows) or Option+Command+Shift (Mac OS) as you start Photoshop. You are prompted to delete the current settings. The new preferences files are created the next time you start Photoshop.
Note: Using the keyboard shortcut, preference files for custom shortcuts, workspaces, and color settings will also be reset to default.

from here:

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preferences.html#restore_preferences

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For some reason I can't even access that, I keep getting a windows error sound. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Uninstall it and then reinstall Adobe Photoshop 2020. I'm sure it works.

SunNy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, it did. Thank you! 😄

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 08, 2020 Sep 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This did not work despite several attempts. Still experiencing same issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 15, 2020 Sep 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mine I did restore the IPC that I delete. and it works perfectly fine 
I deleted my IPC because I can Run the Photoshop HAHAHAHA

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 10, 2020 Jul 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Its not

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 20, 2020 Jul 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I uninstalled and reinstalled and it still isn't working for me. Any other Solution?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 02, 2020 Aug 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also having the same issue and nothing has worked for me either. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 11, 2020 Aug 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SAME. Ugh.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Me too...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 09, 2020 Nov 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been intermittently been having this issue. The easiest workaround (not a true solution) is to make a copy (dupe) of you original file before you begin making changes/adjustments. That way, when you are finished, you can just "Save" and your new work will be included.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SAME ISSUE. This is making me NUTS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been intermittently been having this issue. The easiest workaround (not a true solution) is to make a copy (dupe) of your original file before you begin making changes/adjustments. That way, when you are finished, you can just "Save" and your new work will be included.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 20, 2020 Aug 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here after updating to PS 21.2.x versions. Save As doesn't work w/ keyboard shortcuts or by menu pulldown. Though PS for a few milliseconds acts as if it is working by greying out all the other menu pulldown function choices.
Win 10 Home 64 bit (w/ latest OS updates) and latest graphics card drivers from the manufacturer's sites.

I would like to use the newest version of PS since I'm paying for it w/ the subscription. If I use the 21.2.x versions I have to resort to exporting PNG, JPEG etc. and can not save my work (w/ layers or w/out any layers) to a PSD version of any file.

File-> New also doesn't work. 

File ->Open doesn't work the first time PS is opened after resetting the preferences to default, but after dropping a file onto PS to open, it the next time PS is opened File-> Open command works. The location of the file has nothing to do with the failures, I tried the PS functions w/ files in different locations / drives. 

I can do every other function I want to do in PS without a problem; if it was the graphics card, the functions that require more out of a graphics card would not work.

Before reporting the problem I tried all the troubleshooting: new GPU drivers from manufacturers sites, deleting the presets, removing all the remnants of the older versions using the built in CC tool, turning off the graphics card accel in preferences->performance and all the other preferences suggestions on adobe's sites. More than once I did Uninstall-> reboot PC-> reinstall PS 21.2.x version. 

Had a 2 hour online chat with the last hour being a PC takeover session w/ Adobe tech support levels 1 and 2. Seems to be the first time they had seen File->New not working. They insisted on repeating some of the things I'd already done, and they tried much more, including using a tool on their end to delete abandoned PS files on the PC and Win 10 display driver tweaks.They eventually agreed that going back to an older version where everything works (21.1.3) is the best solution.

Their final claim is that the 2 year old NVidia Titan Xp doesn't support the latest PS version. Seems to be Adobe's default response when a problem happens with PS: blame the graphics card. The Titan Xp with 12GB of memory meets all of Adobe's published requirements for a graphics card in the Adobe link tech support provided by tech support. We also tried a card in the PC that is listed on Adobe's specific list of compatable cards and with that card PS had the exact same failures.
Tech support refuses to believe that the changes Adobe made to the PS file management functions in ver 21.2 and later has anything to do with the file related functions no longer working. They won't submit a problem report to the developers.

The behavior of PS 21.2.x versions is not the symptom of a graphics card incompatibility. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 25, 2020 Aug 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi I'm having the same issue and nothing seems to be working! Are there any other solutions for this out there?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 02, 2020 Oct 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi all. don't know if this helps anyone but...

Workaround

1. open history panel
  2. create new document from current state
  3. save

TL;DR

i had a similar `Save As...` problem that seemed to be related to a cloud doc conflict (ipad/desktop)

in my case, i could create/save new files but could not `Save` or `Save As...` a specific working file that had been changed on the desktop

similar symptoms...

• `Save As...`: dialog never pops up
  • `Save`: shows progress, but document never gets updated in cloud
  • `Close`: will not close (Really!?)
  • no visible errors

tried a bunch of things to no avail (deleting the document from ipad, pausing sync on desktop, etc)

fortunately i was able to create new documents and save them so i ended up creating a new one from the history panel and saving under a new name

a strange tale indeed

we may never know the mystery of what happened to that file that day

but it will live on in my memory - at least until i close  Photoshop

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 23, 2020 Sep 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As a workaround, I was able to copy the layers onto a new file with an artboard.

Export artboards as PDF and it allowed to save/keep layers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 07, 2020 Oct 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A workaround is fine and appreciate the creative solutions but this is very frustrating.  Has anyone tried to downgrade back to the previous version? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 07, 2020 Oct 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using the 21.1.3 version because it's the last version that works for me using the native Save As function and File->New function.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines