• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop 2021 broke the zoom tool

Participant ,
Oct 21, 2020 Oct 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just updated to PS 2021 and there is something seriously wrong with basic navigation. Zoooming and moving artwork leads to a strange and wild flickering. Literally the piece will start zooming in and out wildly regardless if the tool is engaged from the toolbar or via the Navigator. At the same time I lose all the definiton in any line work. The lines start switching between choppy and smooth as I scroll. There is also a huge amount of lag  with general scrolling. I do mostly illustration and digital painting so this odd behavior makes the new version of PS unusable for me.

Playing with the Graphics Processor settings in the Performance tab made no difference. I made NO changes in any settings during or after the update.

Any suggestions would be appreciated

I've attached a PDF of my system info. I updated my video card driver and my Wacom drivers and that didn't help. Windows 10 did update yesterday.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Oct 21, 2020 Oct 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you see this line in your PDF try other drivers

Photoshop crashed on 10/21/2020 at 7:48:41 PM (GetGPUVendorAndRenderer)

Yesterday 10/20/2020 driver your seems dated 

glgpu[0].GLDriverDate="20200930000000.000000-000" 9/30/2020

NVIDIA STUDIO DRIVER

Version: 456.71
Release Date: 2020.10.20
Operating System: Windows 10 64-bit
Language: English (US)
File Size: 610.93 MB

or 

GEFORCE GAME READY DRIVER

Version: 456.71  WHQL
Release Date: 2020.10.7
Operating System: Windows 10 64-bit
Language: English (US)
File Size: 610.84 MB
JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 22, 2020 Oct 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply. According to the NVIDIA website ( yesterday morning) that was the latest driver for my video card. All my other 2d and 3d graphics softwae are working just fine, including Illustrator 2021.  I can have PS 2020 AI 2021, Cinema 4D and DAZ Studio all open at the same time and there aren't any performance issues. Each program runs soothly without crashes, bizzare behavior or lagging. The issue is only  happening in Photoshop 2021.

I'll check NVIDIA again. But I suspect I'll have to stick with Photoshop 2020 and hope a future update fixes the problem-again ( sigh). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 02, 2020 Nov 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am experiencing SERIOUS lagginf problems on Mac as well.
I do not think this is only a driverproblem. 
Each time a new release is dropped it's the same old sh*

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 02, 2020 Nov 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree. It can't be just a driver problem if Mac users are having the same kind of issues . I suspect one of the new little features broke something- just like what happened with Illustrator a couple years ago when the editable toolbars were introduced. 

This is the problem with subscription software. Things get added in a hurry to justify the rental fee and they wind up breaking the program.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 03, 2020 Nov 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem, hopefully a patch is sent out soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 08, 2020 Nov 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FYI everyone. I was able to record a video of what happens. Hopefully it might lead to a clue.  The video was recorded after I re-downloaded and re-installed the latest driver from the NVIDA site ( dated 10-29-2020) this morning. I also submitted a bug report to Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 09, 2020 Nov 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for sharing this.  This flickering and wierd tranform animated effect is happning when flicking between open images using ~ + Tab.  It's quite annoying when all I want to see is the difference between 2 versions and this flickering kills it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 09, 2020 Nov 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No problem.  I've also noticed a change in detail when this happens. The image goes from sharp to pixelated then sharp again. Very bizzare!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 25, 2020 Nov 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The same problem here, zooming with the mouse wheel suddenly disappeares after 4- 5 min when gpu-acceleration is installed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 25, 2020 Nov 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm also having the same issue with the zoom.  After 5 or 10 minutes, nothing will zoom in or out. Right-click to ZOOM, nothing...zoom tool, nothing...I have to exit the programme and get back in.  Unfortunately for the first time EVER, I removed previous versions of photoshop during the 2021 update.  😞 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 15, 2021 Jan 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue as well, and I am on Windows.  I have rulers on the edges of my ps screen and when I try to zoom and scroll or move the image left to right, the rulers move like it is resizing but the image remains still, then in a minute it will catch up.  I can't tell if it is a zoom issue or a filter issue. Because when i click on a layer, to view the image with out that  layer, nothing changes.  They layer could be a sharpened layer or a brightness layer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 15, 2021 Jan 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like it's not a high priority issues because as of right now PS 2021 is still totally unusable. 2020 on the other hand is rock solid. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 16, 2021 Jan 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here with PS 2021 on Mac OS. Totally uncontrollable behaviour of the zoom tool, screen freezing unexpectedly every now and then, plus "File couldn't be saved because of a program error" issue.

Really, really annoying(

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 07, 2021 Sep 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem - I am pretty much working on a 'brand new' machine as my iMac had to be 'wiped' this week and I manually re-installed all software  (did not use my time machine at all....so it's pretty brand spanking new with none of my user settings etc that might cause an issue)... When I zoom inn, the tool either does not respond, jumps to a differnt layer and moves that layer or zooms inn much closer than i wanted it to. I also cannot 'select' and area for the tool to zoom inn to...sometimes it works and sometimes it freezes my entire machine that nothing works ....  yikes... hopefully this gets sorted out?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 07, 2021 Sep 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At this point all we can hope for is that it's fixed in PS 2022 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 18, 2021 Jan 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cannot zoom all the way in, it gets stuck and then wont zoom in or out Photoshop 22.1.0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 12, 2021 Mar 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue, just appeared after the latest update a couple of days ago.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 18, 2021 Mar 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Alas the recent update STILL hasn't fixed the problem I've had since PS 2021 arrived!  So don't hold your breath for a fix. at this rate I'll be using PS 2020 next year as well!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 24, 2021 Mar 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I thought I was the only one! I've got a brand new Macbook Pro, and zooming in and out has been impossible. Just glitches entirely. I'm tempted to downgrade (if you can even? I haven't checked yet). Fingers crossed they fix this ASAP. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've found a temporary solution to this problem. If you untick Scrubby Zoom, it's a lot more responsive (at least for me!). Hope that helps. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 25, 2021 Mar 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I"m glad it helps you. Unfortunately, I always have scrubby zoom disabled because of prior issues. So it's made no difference for me ( Windows)

You most definitely can downgrade. I've been using version 2020 without any problems.  Here's how I did it in Windows.. Hopefully it's the same for Macs...

Open Creative Cloud and click on the 3 little dots next to right of the app name. You get a box with 3 options: Learn More, Other Versions and Uninstall. Click Other Versions and pick the one you want to install.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here. Zoom feature is completely broken (Mac)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 29, 2021 Mar 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's wild this hasn't been addressed or fixed. I use photoshop for art, so zooming is kinda a huge thing and this issue is making it nearly impossible to work. The issues from last year were bad and annoying, from the constant lag and crashing, but now it also just can't zoom? This is on my last nerve, might actually switch softwares. Photoshop 2020 and 2021 are the worst things I've ever seen. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 30, 2021 Mar 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's wild this hasn't been addressed or fixed. I use photoshop for art, so zooming is kinda a huge thing and this issue is making it nearly impossible to work. The issues from last year were bad and annoying, from the constant lag and crashing, but now it also just can't zoom? This is on my last nerve, might actually switch softwares. Photoshop 2020 and 2021 are the worst things I've ever seen. 

By @ljortiz

Same here. If this isn't fixed by the time 2022 comes out I'll have to swirtch to something else.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines