• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop 2021 path direct selection tool issues

Explorer ,
Oct 27, 2020 Oct 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I draw a simple rectangle, switch to the (path) Direct Selection tool and select by the top two points by dragging the across the area the two points are in, then move the points with the cursor keys - the whole shape moves despite only the two top points having a solid fill indicating they are selected. In previous versions this action would only move the top two points.

If I then click on the top right corner point and move it, the point has been duplicated and moves leaving behind another point.

If I only select one point, it is selected correctly and moves as expected and I can select multiple points thereafter as I could in previous versions.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Oct 27, 2020 Oct 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you select the top two points and press right arrow key once then left once then you can press up and it works as expected. This does look like a bug to me. You may wish to log a bug report.

/G

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 28, 2020 Oct 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's why it is a bug (or at worst a user-adversatial regression): In previous versions of PS, the Direct Selection Tool allowed for the direct selection of arbitrary points within any shape, and when the user nudged those points, no other points in the shape would move.  Not only that, if the user constrained that movement to the direction of the edge, the shape would retain its "live shape properties." Only if the selected points were moved counter to the edge would those properties be lost (the live shape would become a regular shape).

As of Photoshop 22.0.0 this longstanding behavior has changed, which is why I'm freaking out a little bit. Now when a shape is placed—let's try a normal rectangle—and the user selects two of its corner points and attempts to nudge them, the entire shape moves (as @TMTI user 1 mentioned above), the same as if the user selected the entire shape with the Path Selection Tool, like a savage. The only way to force Photoshop to behave correctly is to manually break the "liveness" of it by first intentionally moving the selected points in an "off" direction, then continuing in the intended direction. However, doing that means you can never round the corners later, as you could in prior versions of Photoshop, since you had to commit the shape just to make it longer or taller.

I'm fully aware that live shapes can be resized using the numeric entry fields in the top bar—that's always been the case. However, it's a massive chore to be sizing things numerically when directly nudging points by eye is what you're after. (If you're in usability I know I don't need to tell you that.)

The Direct Selection Tool is the tool I use the most, and I nudge shape points hundreds of times per day. This tool-breaking feature of 22.0.0 is driving me up a tree. I hope someone from the mothership sees this note.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 17, 2020 Nov 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is driving me absolutely insane. I work in Photoshop for 8+ hours every day and it's one of my most used features. I wouldn't have updated if I had known. I thought this would be a preference but I've looked everywhere and tried everything and nothing is working so it must be a bug. Has there been a fix yet? For now, I'll try the workaround @Scamper mentioned but yeah, really need the feature to be able to adjust all properties of the shape at any time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 30, 2020 Oct 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey all

I've noticed the same. This drives me crazy 'cause this is my essential tool. The worst part, however, is that it acts unpredictable - sometimes (rarely) it works as it used to, sometimes it moves too many anchors (including not selected ones) and sometimes, when I try to figure out wtf and move my mouse or pen, it just moves the whole path randomly.

HEY ADOBE - WE ALL PAY A LOT FOR YOUR SOFTWARE AND WE USE IT TO EARN A LIVING. PLEASE, FIX THIS OBVIOUS BUG!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 02, 2020 Nov 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here. It drives me crazy !!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue and it's infuriating. Hopefully Adobe can fix this terrible bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 07, 2020 Nov 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it's so critical issue for me.. is it a bug?? then please fix and update it ASAP.

I need to set up the 2020 version again until it's updated..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey all

I've just downloaded the latest version (22.0.1) and the issue seems to be fixed. Hurray!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yeaaah It's fixed !! 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines