• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop 2021 will not open video files

New Here ,
Jun 22, 2021 Jun 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Long story short, I work for a digital marketing agency and my client wanted a template made for images and videos of items from their website for Instagram stories. I have said template and it is perfect, there is a video/image frame layered in the template for me to easily drop everything in. Images are not the issue, but I cannot open the video files I need at all. I have reached out to my superior for help but he doesn't seem to be experiencing the same issue.

-The video files are not corrupt as they are able to be opened in different applications

-I am using Photoshop 2021 and it as well as my MacBook are completely up-to-date

-I have updated the system preferences on my laptop to add Photoshop 2021 to accessibility and full disk access

-I have reset my preferences inside of Photoshop 2021

-And after each of these updated system preferences I have restarted my laptop

-I have tried opening the video in different formats, .mp4, .mov, etc.

-I have tried opening through import, through file > open, and through dropping the video into the app from my desktop

- I keep getting the following errors "could not complete your request because Photoshop doesn't recognize the file type" or "could not place (filename) because no parser or file format can open the file"

Please, does anyone have any recommendations on what else I can try?!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Based on what little you've told us so far, I think maybe you're using the wrong approach. 

Photoshop can generate and animated GIF from video frames if that's what you're trying to do.

1. Open the Timeline panel from Window menu.

2. Go to File > Import > Video frames to Layers.  See link below.

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/how-to/make-animated-gif.html

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Nancy,

So you were correct, I was not doing it the correct way. 

My timeline panel was not open.

But the instructions from the article provided were from a series of photos.

I still cannot open or import the video files, I also tried adding them from video frames from layers.

Do you have any suggestions for this issue by chance?

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Scroll down the tutorial where video is discussed. 😉

Maybe your video is too long or too big to import.  Try testing it with a smaller video.

"Note: Photoshop may not be able to fully import a video that is too long. Use the options in the Import window to limit the amount of frames imported. You can select to import the entire video, or choose just a segment of the video. You can also limit the amount of frames imported to a set interval, such as every 2 frames."

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines