• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Convert to Video Timeline option missing - Apple M1 devices

Community Beginner ,
Apr 08, 2021 Apr 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not able to select anything but "Create Frame Animation" in the Timeline. I am trying to create a Video Timeline, but not using Frame animation. This option isn't in the bottom left or top right of the Timeline menu.

I have tried resetting my preferences, uninstalling and re-installing, creating a new document, and converting all layers to smart objects, and none of those have worked. I have a macbook pro with macOS Big Sur version 11.2.3 with an Apple M1 chip.

Thank you for the help!

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jun 17, 2022 Jun 17, 2022

We're happy to announce the release of Photoshop 23.4. This update includes the fix for this issue. To see the list of all fixed issues, click here.

To update Photoshop to 23.4, click "Update" in the Creative Cloud desktop app next to Photoshop. More detailed instructions for updating

Let us know if the update resolves the problem for those affected, and share your feedback.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 860 Replies 860
860 Comments
New Here ,
Apr 13, 2021 Apr 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I recently update Photoshop to 22.3.1 and my render to video options are gone. Not grayed out but non existent. If I go to render image sequence there's no more option for video formats either.  Haven't seen a lot of posting about this so I'm wondering if there is something wrong on my end. I was able to resovle the issue by reverting back a few versions but it is a persistent issue with the most up to date version. It's annoying to have to revert everytime, I need to export a lot of frame animations to video for my job.

I'm running on a Macbook Pro M1 2020 Big Sur 11.2.3

If anyone has a fix for this or has had this issue before let me know!

Thanks

-MassimoScreen Shot 2021-04-13 at 1.37.28 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I notice in your screenshot that there is a "render image sequence" option (the last one in the menu), which is available in the Render Video window up to 22.3. Have you checked if by any chance this is now the default tool, with an option in that window to create video files?

Michael

Michael Niessen - Photographer, photo-editor, educator

Photo-editing (Ps/Lr/LrC) and photography workshops & one-on-one training (off- and online)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It may be a Mac issue not an Issue on a PC.

image.png

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Apr 14, 2021 Apr 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

New update (2021.3.1) and it still hasn't been fixed...

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It doesn't work with Rosetta 2. This sucks. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's probably because your laptio is running M1.

you have to download rosetta: (link removed by moderator)

Once downloaded, just open it so that it's installed and not in a zip file. 

Then finder > Applications > right click on Photoshop and press get info.

In that pop up, you'll see open with rosetta. Click the box and close the pop up. 

Now you can open photoshop and edit any video you want by just dragging it into photoshop

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

*laptop

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 15, 2021 Apr 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue M1 mac.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 15, 2021 Apr 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Came here looking for the same thing, also running latest PS on a new M1 mac. Hopefully an update soon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Apr 16, 2021 Apr 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, same here. Mac Mini m1. I had to reinstall version 22.2 ... way to go Adobe ....

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 16, 2021 Apr 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm also on an M1 Mac and my Render to Video option has completely disappeared. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Apr 17, 2021 Apr 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey! I had this same issue. I did a lot of googling to figure it out because I've never owned a Mac before.  Because you've got a new Mac, it all comes down to them switching to Apple Silicon Chips, and Adobe not up to speed.  Basically your Photoshop is running in universal mode (the faster Apple Chip mode) rather than Intel (the slower Intel chip mode, but gives you all your options).

So to solve you need to run Photoshop as Rosetta. I actually had to ask support how to do this. Exit Photoshop, go into your application folder and find Photoshops folder, right click on the Photoshop application in the folder, click on get info, in that there will be an option that says Run in Rosetta. Check that and then restart Photoshop, and you should have your render as a video button. It worked for me. It will run slower, but you can toggle back and forth between versions if you're doing something quick and don't need that button.  Here is a link and explains some of the things missing

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/photoshop-for-apple-silicon.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Apr 17, 2021 Apr 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, I just posted a solution for your issue in this thread. You just need need to run Photoshop in Rosetta.  I explain how along with a link explaining the issues related to the problem.  I hope this helps. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 19, 2021 Apr 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hallo zusammen,

in der aktuellen Photoshopversion wird die Videozeitleiste nicht mehr angezeigt. Nur noch die Option Frame-Animation. Kann mir jemand weiterhelfen?

Bildschirmfoto 2021-04-19 um 09.59.05.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi – das liegt wohl eher an deinem Dokument. Hab grad ein PSD mit x-Ebenen offen und mir wird Videozeitleiste erstellen angezeigt.

Noch etwas: Dies ist das internationale Community Forum – wenn du schnelle/gute Hilfe möchtest, bitte jeweils auf englisch schreiben, danke dir 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please read this (in particular the section titled "Supply pertinent information for more timely and effective answers”):

https://community.adobe.com/t5/using-the-community/community-how-to-guide-tips-amp-best-practices/td...

Are you working on a Mac with M1? If so does working under Rosetta make a difference? 

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/photoshop-and-macos-big-sur.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here.

I've tried everything, uninstalling, re-installing, searching help websites... until I found this chat.
This sucks so much...

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 20, 2021 Apr 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello 🙂 thanks for your information. I work with a MacBook M1 2020. What is the problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

M1 seems to be the problem (though naturally one could argue the other way if one feels so inclined). 

Can you start Photoshop under Rosetta? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to import an image sequence into photoshop to do some rotoscoping. When I import the sequence, it automatically created a video group and puts the video as a layer within. However, the video will not play and is showing a red question mark icon ovr top of the film icon in the bottom right corner of the layer preview image. The error message is "Video layers are only available in Adobe Photoshop."

That's quite annoying considering I am using Adobe Photoshop (version 22.3.1) on my mac (2021 MacBook pro 13-inch, version 11.1 Big Sur).  Why is this error ocurring and what can I do to fix it? It is not an issue with the software being unable to locate the file since I directly opened it and have not touched it since.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is very frustrating. Same exact problem on M1 Mini with latest PS 22.3.1. Apparently the fix is to downgrade to an earlier Rosetta (non-M1 native) version of PS, but I'm not sure which one? Also this is NOT listed on the "known issues" for M1 Adobe page. Please fix the issue Adobe! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Import, Export, and playback of embedded video layers is listed as the first issue. While it does not spell out video timeline, it's related.

I completely understand it's frustrating when software doesn't work as we hope, but this is what happens when you buy transitional hardware without waiting for software to be natively supported. The same goes for new versions of an operating system which can have problems until apps are updating. We went through this before with the transition to Intel. Transitions periods take time, and to be honest this has been a pretty fast one. 

I don't have an Apple Silicon Mac to test things and help, but getting info on the Photoshop app and checking "Open with Rosetta" is the only potential fix I know of, but someone above said it doesn't work with Rosetta so I'm not sure if it actually works. Apple's Rosetta is good, but not perfect and does not work with all software.

— Adobe Certified Expert & Instructor at Noble Desktop | Web Developer, Designer, InDesign Scriptor

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 21, 2021 Apr 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Photoshop 22.3.1 the option of Render Video (File>Export>Render Video) is completely gone- not even greyed out just gone. The available option is "Render Image Sequence" but I'm trying to export an animated GIF to MP4 format.  Can anyone help on this one?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much! Will look into this solution now!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your response. On the main issue, I can confirm that, on my setup (M1 Mini / Big Sur 11.2.3 and PS 22.3.1), launching PS through Rosetta DOES re-enable video timeline, so thanks for providing this work-around. 

On the other issue,  Adobe has labeled this version of PS "native" for the M1, and there is no other version available. I understand transitions take time, so I waited for the "beta" M1 version to transition to an official release. If M1 integration was not complete, I would rather Adobe held off on making it "official," and then finding out after the fact that crucial (for me) elements of the software are not even available yet. If it was freeware I would have more patience, but for professional software at $53/month, it's not too much to expect all tools to function before moving out of "beta" stage.

Votes

Translate

Translate