• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop 22.4.1 Crashes Frequently (Windows 10)

New Here ,
May 25, 2021 May 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Over the last week or so, Photoshop has become increasingly unstable. A couple of days ago, I could typically work on an image or two before it crashed, but today, I have been unable to work at all because it crashes as soon as I open a file. I've sent the automatic error report several times.

I've tried restarting my computer. When that didn't work, I uninstalled Photoshop completely (including user settings), restarted the computer, and reinstalled from Creative Cloud. Still no luck.

At this point, I'm completely blocked.

Photoshop version 22.4.1

Windows 10 Enterprise 20H2 build 19042.928

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When PS crashes, the first thing to try is trashing your Photoshop preferences. Press and hold Alt+Control+Shift (Windows) immediately after launching Photoshop. You will be prompted to delete the current settings.

This action only affects the items found in the preferences dialog box. Numerous program settings are stored in the Adobe Photoshop Preferences file, including general display options, file-saving options, performance options, cursor options, transparency options, type options, and options for plug‑ins and scratch disks. Brushes (and lots of other setting) are not affected by the above instructions for deleting preferences. You may wish to make a screen capture of the settings in the Preferences dialog to reset them prior to deleting of this file.

Also: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preferences.html

*To manually delete Photoshop preferences:
Quit Photoshop.
Navigate to Photoshop's Preferences folder:
Windows 10: Users/[user name]/AppData/Roaming/Adobe/Adobe Photoshop [version]/Adobe Photoshop [version]

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No go. I couldn't tell that Alt+Control+Shift did anything. It certainly didn't prompt me to delete anything.

I manually deleted the settings, but Photoshop still crashes as soon as I open a file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What if you make a new document and edit it: crash?

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A new file seems to be fine. I can even open and edit PSD files. But when I try to open a PNG or JPG or export a PSD to another format, it crashes.

I have a slew of PNG screenshots that I need to edit, though, so this does not solve my problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That indicates a problem with those documents and perhaps your hard drive and not PS pre se.

Do you have another drive you can copy and test the documents that causes a crash?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I copied the files to a USB drive and Photoshop crashed when I opened them from that drive.

As a workaround, I'm using a different computer that has version 22.3.1 on it, and the files work fine on that computer and in that version of PS.

I've reverted to 22.3.1 on my work computer and things seem to be normal again. I'll hold off on updates until the next version of PS is released.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines