• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop 22.4 still crashes on start on macOS Catalina

Explorer ,
May 18, 2021 May 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know there's another thread about 22.3 -- Adobe's "workaround" appears to be "use an older version" which is in direct opposition to the GPU troubleshooting of "update the version"... Does anyone at Adobe care?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@vicagreda wrote:

Does anyone at Adobe care?

This is a user to user support forum. To provide feedback and suggestions about what you desire from Adobe, you should go here and comment after selecting the appropriate product:
https://feedback.photoshop.com/categories/products/5f5f2090785c1f1e6cc40864

You've reset your PS preferences? 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, yes, I'm capable of reading and comprehending what this is, hence my new thread on the specific and very recent 22.4 update which seems to have continued the issue in 22.3 as evidenced by my heading "Photoshop 22.4 still crashes on start on macOS Catalina" 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@vicagreda , hi, caring person here.

If you are on 10.15.7, Apple has confirmed an issue with OCL, and 'use an older version' is probably not the best advice, IMO. Any version of Photoshop is going to get tripped up by that version of Catalina.

Perhaps it was suggested that you could use an earlier version of the operating system? That could help, but even then, I would recommend and update to 11.3, where Apple confirmed the issue was fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using an older version seems to be the only fix. I have several Macs, but this machine is a production machine and I can't update to Big Sur willy nilly due to specific applications that are not yet fully 11.3 compatible. I have a Big Sur machine already. Apple still supports Catalina, and up until 22.3 of PhotoShop it was a non-issue. Weird that it's a non-issue with Pixelmator Pro, Affinity Designer, etc. etc. Wouldn't Adobe be using Metal for this anyway?  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@vicagreda, at the moment, Photoshop is sort of in this in-between state where lots of the app still depend on stable OCL resources, but we are also a long way toward a native Metal canvas as well.

Photoshop is not the only app encoutering problems with OCL instability in 10.15.7: https://shapeof.com/archives/2021/4/apple_april_2021_security_update_and_acorn.html

Our plan, since we cannot force Apple to fix the OCL issue in 10.15.7, is to release an update soon that will turn OCL features off in 10.15.7 so that it doesn't crash.

To be fair to Apple, they warned us in 2018 that OCL would be slowly deprecated, so it's not surprising that it's a bumpy descent. The fact that this was fixed in 11.3 is evidence that it's important enough to all Apple developers that OCL remains working and stable even now; removing OCL is a major wrench in software, particularly older software whose dependencies on OCL run deeper (games and Photoshop are similarly dependent in this way).

We are doing everything we can to keep things humming along while we transition to Metal.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 20, 2021 May 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@vicagreda , if you have a moment, could you shoot us your sniffer output; it is located at:

/Users/YOURUSERNAME/Library/Preferences/Adobe Photoshop 2021 Settings/sniffer-out.txt

There may be more than one, so the most recent one would work.

Since I last exchanged info with you, I heard from another customer that an older version worked, too; which version did you install where it seems to be stable?

Thanks for any info you can provide.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines