• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: OCIO and ACES support for full support 32bit image editing

Participant ,
Oct 20, 2020 Oct 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In a similar way Affinity supports OCIO it would be great if Adobe atleast kept up. The plugin someone has made does not work properly and is far from ideal, it requires LUTs to be made for each possible combination, its not fluid at all and the result is often incorrect.

Full 32bit support is pretty vital in general for everything in PS

Photoshop is the industry leader and has been for years but if you don't keep up with the times you will loose your user base.

Idea No status
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
85 Comments
Community Expert ,
Sep 05, 2020 Sep 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

As volunteers who do not work for Adobe, we can't implement changes — we can only tell you how things work currently. If you want to make a feature request where the Adobe developers will see it, use the link Dave posted above.

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Sep 05, 2020 Sep 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What are you talking about? I clearly said up there, "As long as it doesn't interfere with standard icc color management, I'm all for it." And I am.

We all see things from our own perspective. Yours is perfectly valid, but others are equally valid. A lot of us do work in the print world, and for us, any disruption to standard icc color management would be a disaster. It is still the professional standard, not because we are old and resist change, as you seem to think, but because it works. There is no problem that needs solving.

So again: if this can be implemented without major disruption, we are all for it. Don't make it sound like we're not.

Make a feature request, and if it gets traction, they'll have to take it seriously.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Sep 06, 2020 Sep 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The "correct answers" are marked as such by the community.

Raising and discussing the issue here will get you nowhere, as explained earlier we do not work for Adobe.

You seem to assume that folk here are against ACES/OCIO. We are not. As stated earlier I would be happy to see it implemented and would use it in my own 3D workflow, I already use it in other applications. However, implementation must not break in any way the ICC workflow which is required for printing and web use. Some applications offer a choice of OCIO or ICC colour management, other folk have used and suggested a plug in approach.  Whilst we can all give an opinion on how easy it would be to implement and integrate OCIO,  the true fact is that none of us know as we are not Adobe developers and do not have a clue as to the internal coding of Photoshop.

So the only way this will ever be implemented is to gain traction and support in the forum, linked below,  which is read by Adobe developers. The more people that support it in that forum the more likely it is that the development team take notice.

https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Sep 08, 2020 Sep 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had some time on my hands, so I googled ACES / OCIO to find out what it is.

As it turns out, it's exactly like traditional icc color management. It works in exactly the same way. The difference is in what we know as the Profile Connection Space. In icc-based color management, that's either Lab or CIE XYZ.

With OCIO, the "profile connection space" is ACES2065-1, which is an incredibly large color space that seems to contain a lot of imaginary colors. A smaller and perhaps more practical variety is called ACEScg, similar to the Rec.2020 specification.

Here's how it's explained. Look familiar? It should:

ACES1.png

The articles I found had a lot of "wow"s and "amazing color"s, but the principle is familiar enough. It's basic profile conversions. Holy grail? I don't know. But the ultimate aim is to store masters in this large reference space, which is a sound enough concept. That should be future-proof.

So the question is how this could work with icc color management. I suppose a sort of "device link" concept should be workable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Oct 15, 2020 Oct 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have spent days now to get PS to work correctly with Aces or Filmic ... it simply doesn't seem posible to get a proper workflow. 

Then i tested Affinity Photo, wich offers OCIO color-managment  and it was a matter of 1 minute to set it up correctly. 

So please Adobe build OCIO into PS! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Oct 15, 2020 Oct 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please read the earlier suggestions in this thread for addressing Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

does ANYBODY other than you actually use 32 bit!?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, well in excess of 200,000 people in the vfx industry.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 21, 2020 Oct 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

plus 1 for propper intergration of ocio

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Oct 22, 2020 Oct 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you are working with multipass renders (AOVs) which is very common in cg production pipelines you are basically "forced" to use 32 bit. So yes, there are a lot people using that other than the OP, me included.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Oct 30, 2020 Oct 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes we = many !

32bit is crucial for CGI

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 28, 2021 Jan 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

plus one - Although you can forgive DGrainger for not realising this. ICC and OCIO users rarely meet it would seem which leads to this frustration of photoshop's slow update towards the latest colour technology. Seriously though, After effects supports this why doesn't Photoshop??

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 04, 2021 Jun 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you make 32 bit available for EVERYTHING like smart filters, magic wand, filter gallery etc. I really HATE that you have to convert to 16 bit for magic wand etc. This NEEDS to change!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jul 16, 2021 Jul 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Affinity photo has aces ocio integration. adobe [removed]. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Sep 08, 2021 Sep 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the lack of OCIO and 32bit exr support in photoshop is just embarising. What is adobe doing with all the subscription money. this is not an optional feature if you want photoshop to continue to be relivent. I'm not as comfortable with afinity photo and i asume that is the reason most people still use photoshop but this wont hold for ever. get with the program Adobe. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

According to this help page, Adobe Substance 3D Designer can be configured to use OpenColorIO (OCIO) or Adobe Color Engine (ACE) for Color Management.

https://substance3d.adobe.com/documentation/sddoc/color-management-188973971.html

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OCIO is mainly used in video and film environments. I should think it is much more relevant for After Effects and Premiere Pro, and as Jane points out, Substance 3D.

In the print/web world, where Photoshop mainly lives, we already have icc-based color management, which does exactly the same thing, is well established, and very effective. There's very little incentive.

OCIO and icc color management work on exactly the same principle: source profile > profile connection space > destination profile. One is not "better" than the other, they are just suited to different environments.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

many would like to use PS in the Film-Industrie...  but its complicated with PS. It doesnt matter  ICC Profiles and OCIO work on the same principle.

It makes Color-pipeline integration very hard. I think PS needs OCIO and it would bring more customers from the Film Industrie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Sep 25, 2021 Sep 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

adapt or die. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Sep 25, 2021 Sep 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[abuse removed by moderator]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Nov 24, 2021 Nov 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hope you guys at Adobe will do proper integration of OCIO so we can use native ACES workflow in VFX/film world.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 07, 2022 Jan 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop does not support ACES colour profile effectively. The colour conversion is not accurate so when rendering an image using ACES 1.03 OCIO and then importing into photoshop I have to create two LUT files to get a close match in terms of colour and tonal values. (Even at this point I have found that the colour is not 100% more around 90% match to the raw render.

Full 32bit support is pretty vital in general for everything in PS especially for 3D Artists.

Photoshop is the industry leader and has been for years but if you don't keep up with the times you will loose your user base.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Edit: Currently using ACES 1.3. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've merged this with an existing thread on the topic. (Ignore the early comments about this being the wrong forum for feature requests, they have been merged so this is now teh correct place)

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 10, 2022 Jan 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Doesnt this mean it will just be ignored by Adobe? 

Votes

Translate

Translate