Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop/Adobe Programs Crashing iMac

Jun 12, 2021 Jun 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The short of it - photoshop will freeze/completely crash my iMac (usually when trying to save a file, but has happened a number of other times). At this time I'm not able to use photoshop and save the file without it crashing my computer - Adobe has not given me an answer and I can't complete the work for my current jobs.

The long of it - About 2+ months ago I was using photoshop to create/save files as I always have. I completed a project, uploaded the files to my website and to my printer. Everything was viewed/approved by the client. I received the prints to find they were showing artifacting. I went back to view the files and they had in fact changed (this happened somewhere between 12hrs-2days after the files were saved/uploaded to different platforms. The files were not opened or edited, but somehow the jpeg files had artifacted across all platforms/systems (my computer, my website, and my printers ftp site). This was replicated a few more times on different projects at which point I decided it was time for a new computer because I was told it was likely a bad graphics card or something in my actual system. I purchased a brand new iMac and installed photoshop only to find that I could not "save and replace" a file. I could save a psd file and then a jpeg file as normal, but if I edited the psd and then needed to save and replace the old jpeg file it would just make a new copy (the program even asked "are you sure you'd like to replace the jpeg file" to which I would click yes and I'd still just get a new copy. So we can use "dog.psd - dog.jpg - dog copy.jpg - dog copy2.jpg" as reference and it would go on and on from there not replacing the original jpg. This is an action I repeat multi-daily so I reached out to Adobe and asked for help and after days/hours of "support" received no answers and I had to return the new iMac. I went back to the old iMac and updated photoshop and that seemed to resolve the artifacting issue. A couple weeks of what I would consider normal use goes by and I start getting program error messages intermittently - "cannot use eraser because of program error, cannot save file because of program error, cannot complete request because of program error" - this happened many many times and about 20% of the time one of these errors would pop up my iMac would crash/restart. Well... about 1 week of dealing with these errors/asking for help my iMac finally crashed and would not come back on. I took it in for repair - they could find no diagnosable issues and decided to put in a new ssd. While this work was being done I decided to try switching over to a PC so I bought yet another new computer, downloaded photoshop and continued to get program errors and realized I was no longer able to just "save" a jpeg. Upon some internet searching it seems that Adobe is now requiring users to "save a copy" in order to save a jpeg - so I would try this method and it would put " copy" at the end of all my files and I'd need to manually go in and delete (I'm really hoping this isn't a standard, from what I've read this is an on-going change/situation). So between the program errors I received and the issues with saving I yet again, returned the new PC. I received my original iMac back with the new hardrive about a week ago. I've been working on it lightly without any major issues when I was prompted to update photoshop (from what I've been told by Adobe, I must continue to stay current with the updates to prevent problems). WELL I update and photoshop starts giving me the spinning wheel/freezing when trying to save files and subsequently crashing/restarting my computer. I essentially cannot open/work/save a file in photoshop without my computer crashing which has rendered me basically unable to work. These issues are similarly replicated in lightroom and bridge as well, but I don't use those as heavily. I've asked adobe for help a number of times and they do not have answers and are not acknowleding the money I have lost due to the program creating corrupt files/breaking the system and the ongoing inability I now face to get work done for clients.

I'm really at a total loss. Purchasing a new computer/downloading the programs again hasn't seemed to help the situation and I am now told to wait until Monday for more "support" to help find a solution. I'm terrified that any attempt to work with an adobe product will again completely crash/break my computer and I will be out more money with no fix or acknowledgment from Adobe. I'm currently trying to get acccostumed to Affinity to complete my deadline projects for clients, but am otherwise unable to get my work done with the programs I am paying the subscription fee for as well. Am I out of line to think this is ridiculous and be insanely frustrated with this issues? Am I missing something obvious that's going on and would resolve these issues? I'm willing to invest in a new computer/do what I need to do resolve this, but every attempt has led to differet and/or more problems. I know these programs are being used daily by numerous people, but every person I've turned to for help (it's been many many many in all different places) has come up with no reason/answers and I'm really stuck.

If you've made it through reading this, thanks - I appreciate any help with the situation.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jun 12, 2021 Jun 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A bit more information would help!

Which version of Photoshop and OS?
How much RAM and spare disk capacity on your hard disk?

Have you tried resetting the Photoshop preferences?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Jun 13, 2021 Jun 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Catalina, PS 22.4.2 - 8GB, it's a brand new drive I had to put in the computer I've only got about 100GB of space used.  Yes, Adobe help tried resetting the preferences and unchecking/checking graphics processor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has it stopped crashing?

If you could upgrade your RAM to at least 16GB it would help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, has not stopped crashing. I've been using this computer for years and the 8gb has never been slow or given me general problems. As I've mentioned, I purchased two other new computers with higher specs hoping to just move away from this computer on the slim chance it's the thing causing the problem and both new computers experienced issues after downloading the adobe programs as well. I have been running Affinity on the computer without crashing since yesterday. Something definitely in the adobe programs. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 14, 2021 Jun 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suggest you upgrade your RAM to at least 16GB and that you remove Photoshop using the Adobe Cleaner Tool and reinstall it again.

https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/cc-cleaner-tool-installation-problems.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I have mentioned, I purcahsed 2 new computers - one was a 1TB with 16GB RAM PC, the other was a standard brand new iMac 8GB - photoshop continued to give me saving issues/error messages and even crashing on BOTH of those other systems as well.

Are you trying to tell me that photoshop cannot be used on a system with 8GB of RAM, because I'm pretty sure it's done frequently by many and as I have also mentioned - it has worked fine previously - if photoshop is not able to run on an 8GB computer I would hope there would be flags and signals everywhere letting consumers know, especially considering this has not been the case for years - have I missed something? I don't consider this a solution unless you're telling me no one anywhere is able to operate on 8GB. Why would I need to upgrade when others do not?   ...again, this and re-installing also seem debunked by the fact I was having issues on 2 other computers and the fact that I had to re-install on this system when the new hard drive was put in and still continue to get issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe recommends 16GB of RAM for Photoshop 2021, you can get away with less but it will slow your processing down.

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/system-requirements.html

Clearly, you are having computer issues and that's why I recommended the Cleaner Tool to remove all the bits of the application before a fresh reinstall.

If you are going to spend time arguing there's no point in IMO continuing this discussion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's a nice way to say kick rocks. So the fact that the programs gave me issues on TWO other computers... one with the 16GB as you have recommended... that doesn't seem like it might be a non-computer specific issue to you? Because that doesn't seem as clear to me as you are inferring. Pretty unfortunate that you would see this as combative instead of someone searching for help/answers. Thanks for the info, but again based on what I've tried/Adobe help has tried, I don't quite feel like going down the same rabbit hole of unsinstalling/installing/cleaning etc as you are suggesting and the 8GB vs the 16GB computer change you have suggested didn't seem to resolve the issue either. Was hoping someone might have an option I have not tried that would lead to a solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 20, 2021 Jul 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having these same issues, I am rendered dead in the water and about to lose a huge client!  I upgraded to 16 GB of RAM but same issues.  Ready to lose my mind.  I think this happened when I upgraded to Catalina on my iMac. But that could be a coincidence. My computer has not stopped crashing...Now I can't access my files in Photoshop I get this message 

A required view could not be created because its definition file is either missing or corrupted. In which case I would like to do Harry Carry.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 06, 2021 Sep 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue on an 8GB Macbook Pro on Big Sur update. I regularly download Photoshop updates as well.

I just downgraded from a 16GB Macbook Pro because one of our devs needed it. Never had problems on that Macbook though. Maybe it is the RAM for me... but ya'll are saying it still didn't work with your 16GB RAM, so maybe it's Photoshop. 

Either way, would love some ACCURATE and ACTIONABLE clarification from Photoshop on this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 06, 2021 Sep 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I am having the same issue with my entire computer crashing while using Adobe Products (InDesign, Illustrator, and Photoshop). I upgraded in May 2021 to a newer Mac, but the problem persists. It seems random, but always when I'm using Adobe products. I've reinstalled my OS, Apple has run remote diagnostics, etc. It is not an issue with my computer. Adobe - please help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines