• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop Basic 3D Animation Won't Render to Video?

Nov 21, 2016 Nov 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I'm following tutorials where people are building video timelines with 3D objects, rotating them and such. Everything works great except when I export the 1 second of the rotating 3D object it doesn't work. It just sits there.

I'm following to a tee what the tutorials are doing including base rendering settings and Photoshop is not picking up my 3D Mesh keyframes in the video timeline for rotation

I've tried a variety of options but nothing works.

Anybody run into this problem? It would be really cool to render animating 3D objects.

Thanks!

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which stage does it stop working and what version of Photoshop are you using?

After moving your object and creating key frames, can you play your animation from the timeline before exporting ?

If yes to the above, exactly how did you export? The quick and dirty version below just used File - Export - Save for web legacy to save as a GIF, ensuring the animation options were set

Earring1.gif

A smoother (i.e. less jagged)  version would be obtained by first using File -Export -Render Video set to Photoshop Image Sequence then importing the files as an image sequence then exporting again as a GIF as above, but that can  take a while to render.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I tried Render to Video a number of ways. I'm using Photoshop CC. I used Animation frames within the 3D object. Normal 2D layers will export fine, but the 3D attributes only animate in the work area, they don't render. The chip just sits still. It plays fine in the timeline but that's it. I can get it to make an animated GIF (THANKS FOR THE SUGGESTION!!) but the straight to video render doesn't work, not sure what I'm missing to make that step happen as it just spits out a 1 frame sequence for 30 frames (or looks like it).

Screen Shot 2016-11-21 at 12.30.04 PM.png

Thanks for reading!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you show a snapshot of the Render Video dialogue box ?

Ensure the range is set to Work Area (which should be your total frames)

Note If your final aim is a GIF - then change from Adobe Media Encoder to Photoshop Image sequence - ensure the range is set to Work Area and 3D quality to Ray Traced Final. It will spit out a separate file for each frame. Once all those have been rendered go to File - Open As and tick Image Sequence to import the video and then save as final GIF.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 19, 2017 Feb 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Soupking,

I'm having the same issue as you, did you manage to figure out what was going wrong?

My rotation of the object plays fine in timeline section, but I'm just getting a static image once I've exported to video.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 28, 2019 Apr 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Im having the same issue

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Supply pertinent information for quicker answers

• The more information you supply about your situation, the better equipped other community members will be to answer. Consider including the following in your question:
  • Adobe product and version number
  • Operating system and version number
  • The full text of any error message(s)
  • What you were doing when the problem occurred
  • Screenshots of the problem
  • Computer hardware, such as CPU; GPU; amount of RAM
  • Save the documemt as a PSD upload it and Post a link;
  • Describe what you actually tried
  • Post a link  to the tutorial you could not follow etc.

Insidelight360.gif

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How long did you leave it to do its thing?  I'm just thinking that even 1 second of video is going to need 25 frames rendered, and that is going to take a bit of time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Trevor

If you go for the "quick and dirty"  render 3D in timeline then straight to GIF then it doesn't take long but, as in my example above can be somewhat jaggy. To get the full smooth effect, using Render Video and fully rendering every frame ,  does, like you say , take some time .  You do though get an Exporting Image Sequence progress box, as well as the normal render "Time Remaining" progress for each frame,  so you get an idea how long it will take.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

davescm wrote:

Hi Trevor

If you go for the "quick and dirty" render 3D in timeline then straight to GIF then it doesn't take long but, as in my example above can be somewhat jaggy. To get the full smooth effect, using Render Video and fully rendering every frame , does, like you say , take some time . You do though get an Exporting Image Sequence progress box, as well as the normal render "Time Remaining" progress for each frame, so you get an idea how long it will take.

Dave

Thanks Dave.  I am currently two thirds through Deke McClelland's Intro to Photoshop 3D on Lynda.com and enjoying it, but I suspect I am going to need to obsess using the 3D engine for some time to be able to remember it all.  I hadn't even thought in terms of animating 3D objects, and that sounds pretty damn exciting.  At the same time, I paused my digital portrait project to learn 3D for the earrings, and I am kind of keen to get back to it.  There's never enough time.  

Soupking it's super easy to put screen shots here.  Just copy the screen to clipboard and paste to this thread with Ctrl v (Cmd v).  If you are running Windows you have the Snipping Tool, but if you do this a lot, then get Greenshot which is what some of us use.  Or just use the Print SCRN key if you have a full keyboard.  Don't downres your screen shot.  Adobe can afford the bandwidth.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 15, 2017 Nov 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue - GIF works but not image sequence or media encoder.... those just export a non animated image....nothing is moving.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which version of Photoshop this thread was started two years ago?  Can screen capture of photoshop with your Frame animation or video animation timeline visible? Are you using Windows or OSX?

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have hit that glitch before, but not regularly or with any consistency that allows me to file a bug report.

However try this:

Set your keyframes - save the file. Close the file and re-open - check the keyframes are still set (if not enable them) - Render the video.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Because he was able to save an animated Gif I do not know it they have a frame animation or a video animation timeline.   For a Frame animation timeline I'm able to save a animaded gif and also render a video.  With a video timeline I do not seem to be able to save an animated gif

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi JJ
I took it from the thread title it was a 3D animation, for which I would normally use keyframes on the video timeline.

You can export a gif from that timeline using Save for Web(Legacy) but only in Interactive GPU quality

Render Video allows Image sequence or AME encoded video in Interactive or ray traced quality

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 26, 2018 Jan 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone,

I am working on a Mac, 16GRam, Quad core i7, nothing fancy on the graphics card.

I am working in Photoshop CC 2018.

I have a 3D object with lighting and texture and such, and I have keyframes in place to rotate the object.

All is well until I try and render it as a video, it seems by reading above that there is no way to render an object that is rotating?

I have successfully rendered a video with my camera moving around the object.

Thanks for any help.

j

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 27, 2018 Jan 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried what I wrote in post 11 ?

Set your keyframes - save the file. Close the file and re-open - check the keyframes are still set (if not enable them) - Render the video.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 26, 2018 Feb 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same issue as everyone else with a animation working in the video timeline but nothing except camera movement rending in the video. Tried Dave's solution of saving, closing and opening file then redoing the animation (keyframes were cleared out on reopen so had to redo) and then Exporting the video. It worked. Now my students don't think I am insane. Appreciate it Dave!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 09, 2019 Dec 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue. Mine is static and then goes off the screen. So I get to do all the work and then have to redo the keyframes? Infuriating. Photoshop 3d seems like it's packed with bugs. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 02, 2021 Jun 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

had the same problem, i just had to select all the keyframes before rendering and it worked ! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 22, 2021 Feb 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same issue but noticed that my video was an FPS error. Try matching the frames per second on your export settings as the error. (The error should shoe in brackets and in red) 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem, and followed the instructions of @davescm and it worked.
But i also realize you dont have save/ close and redo the keyframes, I just had to select all my keyframes before rendering, and then render, and it worked fine ! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

In theory you shouldn't have to Save and reopen. However, it is a lot quicker to identify a lost key frame issue that way than waiting until every frame has rendered.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines