• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop blacking out text

Community Beginner ,
Jun 22, 2021 Jun 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been using Photoshop on this computer a long time, but when I opened it today it started giving me this text issue for the first time ever.  It is blacking out all text with a black background.  I didn't knowingly change anything on my end, so this seems like a bug.  See attached .PSD file and screenshot.  Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

I'm using version 22.4.2 on Windows 10 v.2004.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 22, 2021 Jun 22, 2021

@nrz0 wrote:

Is there a way to restore my preferences so I don't have to reconfigure everything from scratch again?

No, you need to back up everything you've customized first. You can rename or move the Prefs file so you can restore it if it does not solve the issue.

Try resetting the tools first. Right click the Type tool in the options bar (not Tools panel) and Reset tool (or all tools).

Also try:

• quit and relaunch
  • reboot
  • another typeface

before you reset your preferences.

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preferences.html

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried resetting your preferences?

Go to Preferences/General and click "reset preferences upon quit" and restart PS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a way to restore my preferences so I don't have to reconfigure everything from scratch again?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@nrz0 wrote:

No, you need to back up everything you've customized first. You can rename or move the Prefs file so you can restore it if it does not solve the issue.

Try resetting the tools first. Right click the Type tool in the options bar (not Tools panel) and Reset tool (or all tools).

Also try:

• quit and relaunch
  • reboot
  • another typeface

before you reset your preferences.

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preferences.html

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jane, I tried all the things you mentioned, to no avail.

However, at the link you shared was a way to manually reset the preferences by removing the "Adobe Photoshop 2021 Settings" folder (I just renamed it as a backup).  That has fixed the issue, but now I don't recognize the program I'm using.

If I revert to the old folder, everything is back as it was, including the bug.  So I'm not sure what to bring back in to fix my problem.  Any other ideas, aside from rebuilding my customizations from the ground up?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @nrz0 

That means that resetting preferences will fix your issue.

If you have created Brushes, Actions, Shapes, Gradients, Swatches, Styles, Workspaces, etc., save them out so they can be restored. This is always a good idea because sometimes preferences have to be reset when you can't get to these.

If you think it will help, take screenshots of each panel in Preferences so you can remember what you have set there. I do this often enough that I know what I need to change here.

When everything is working again, make a copy of your Preferences file and file it somewhere else so it can be restored quickly.

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't created anything custom.  I've got probably most of the settings configured back now, but I'm sure I'll be finding stuff that needs to be fixed back for weeks to come.  And yes, I was planning on making a backup of that "Adobe Photoshop 2021 Settings" folder once I was done reconfiguring my settings today!

Thanks to you and @kevin stohlmeyer for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You're welcome, @nrz0, and I'm glad the text issue is resolved.

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines