Photoshop CC: Creating a favicon.ico file

Enthusiast ,
Sep 08, 2015 Sep 08, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am little confused with the favicon.ico file format. There seems to be some Photoshop Plug-Ins and others say a PNG and renaming the .png into .ico is totally enough. Can one of the developers be more specific? I need to create a favicon.ico file for my website in several sizes.

I found this website to create a favicon.ico image format.

My question is as follows:

1.) Does the .ico file format store/include several images of different sizes (such as 16x16,32x32 and 64x64) in one file. Therefore, three different images in different sizes in one file?

2.) As far as I can see on the favicon maker website under advanced settings ... Is there any text information stored within this favicon.ico file such as website url, website title, background color, rss feed url, pixel sizes?

3.) Is there a way to create a favicon.ico file format in Photohop CC?

4.) Can I use an SVG file (no more need to create different screen sizes) ... what are the "perfect SVG settings" to create a standard favicon.ico then?

Thank you.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi yorh.ekin,

Please refer to the below link that might help you:

https://forums.adobe.com/message/4453679'

Regards

Sarika

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The thread is more or less about the topic, how to get an old Plug-In working ... complicated ... Adobe Muse CC only accepts png, jpg and gif image files only as far as I have noticed ... but no .ICO file.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AFAIK, saving an .ico file contains just the one size.  You have to size your icon correctly, or the .ico format will not appear in the formats list.  The link in post #1 has links to the .ico plugin.  I can't answer your SVG question.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 28, 2016 Jun 28, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried every suggestion I found here and elsewhere and nothing worked. The Telegraphics plugin doesn't work with the most recent version of Photoshop CC, at least for me. So I saved the file as a .png and went looking on the Mac app store. Found a 99 cent plug in called Faviconer, and within seconds, I can make a .ico file out of any jpeg or png or whatever file I have. Shouldn't be so hard to get one out of Photoshop. Why this isn't built in is a mystery to me. But Faviconer is very simple, elegant, and does just what I need it to do.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 09, 2019 Dec 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. Worked beautifully (after I tried everything else:)

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 10, 2017 Oct 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use Photoshop CC to create my graphic for my favicon and export a 250x250 png file. I changed the file name to favicon.ico and uploaded it to my website server with Dreamweaver CC and it works fine. I have done this on more than a dozen websites I manage and it has worked on all of them. Maybe it is too simple. I used the ico add-in in previous versions of Photoshop to directly export, but this method works easier with CC.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 04, 2018 May 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just save as filename.ico and CC is so smart that understands

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 02, 2021 Jun 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a shame that Adobe still has literally no answer for favicons.

I mean, after all it's a design necessity. Looking at the workaround, would it be such a big deal to implement a "save as ico" option?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jun 02, 2021 Jun 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You need to make your suggestion on the feedback site.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines