• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop Crashes Constantly

Explorer ,
May 28, 2021 May 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is anyone else having an issue with Photoshop crashing constantly? It is driving me insane. It has probably crashed 100 times over the past few weeks. I keep losing work. I have to work super slow so I can constantly save. This morning it has crashed at least 10 times already. Twice when I was literally doing nothing in it. I had it open but both times I had paused to look up something online. 

In addition to the crashing, it's also been painfully slow and not performing right overall. When I use the quick selection tool, it pauses for a couple of seconds every time I click so it's next to impossible to fine tune a selection. Select Subject is also no longer working. And it freezes whenever I open Camera Raw.

This has to be a Photoshop issue. I have a newer Mac Pro with 96 GB of RAM. This is so bad I am considering cancelling CC and moving over to Afinity Photo. I really don't want to, but I can barely do my job. I'm a professional composite artist. I have clients waiting on me and I am behind on all of my projects because of this disaster. 

Any suggestions on how to fix this problem?  I've already tried uninstalling and reinstalling and it is currently up to date. 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When PS crashes, best thing to start is trashing the preferences and if that doesn't work, try disabling GPU.

Press and hold  Option+Command+Shift (Mac OS) immediately after launching Photoshop. You will be prompted to delete the current settings.

(Mac OS only) Open the Preferences folder in the Library folder*, and drag the Adobe Photoshop CS Settings folder to the Trash.

Note:
The user Library folder is hidden by default on macOS. To access files in the hidden user Library folder, see How to access hidden user library files.
Drag the entire Adobe Photoshop [Version] Settings folder to the desktop or somewhere safe for a back-up of your settings 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 30, 2021 May 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for the late reply. I tried everything you suggested and it is still crashing. Plus I am now having the additional problem that adobe will not save any of my preferences again. I changed some things back but every time I close and reopen photoshop, they are reverted back to the original settings. Any other ideas? Thanks so much for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can also replicate Rodney's excellent advice of returning the Photoshop preferences back to the factory defaults under the General tab in Photoshop preferences (Reset preferences on quit).

By the way, how much spare disk capacity do you have on your hard drive?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have 360 GB available on this computer. It was full at one point and I had an issue with Photoshops being unable to save because the scratch disks were full. I archived a bunch of folders to solve the issue. Is there any chance that situation might have impacted something?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which version of Photoshop and OS?

Maybe uninstall Photoshop and reinstall it, if that doesn't work try using the Adobe Cleaner Tool to uninstall the application.

https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/cc-cleaner-tool-installation-problems.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issues here. After the update the PS just keeps crashing. This happens a lot when I zoom in or out of an image. Almost drove me crazy...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try this, untick Use Graphics Processor under the Performance Tab in Photoshop preferences. Then close and reopen Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's driving me absolutely insane. I have actually considered moving to another program all together because it has been almost unusable for me lately. I'm on the same computer, same harddrive space, same RAM as always and this is an issue that arose over the last couple of months. Nothing has changed except Photoshop. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What specific version of OS? 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using Big Sur 11.3.1. Could it be a Big Sur issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@hollyeperret wrote:

I'm using Big Sur 11.3.1. Could it be a Big Sur issue?

Yes, update to 11.4 and try. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

So using the Adobe Cleaner Tool didn't help?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines