• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop crashes on launch - Mac Catalina

New Here ,
May 03, 2021 May 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!  I'm having big problems.  Photoshop crashes on launch - every time.  Every time I launch it, it will crash before even getting to the splash screen.  

I've created a new ueser, same problem.  I've reinstalled multiple versions of Photoshop, I've reset preferences.  I've confirmed accessibility access for the app.    Nothing. Launch app, ... crash.  

So, I reinstalled the OS (MacOS Catalina), and it worked! ... for a few hours.    But, then, the next morning, it crashes at each launch.   All other Adobe apps seem to be fine.   

The crash seems to have something to do with the GPU.

MacPro (2013 model).  

Photoshop 22.3.1

Catalina 10.15.7

Here is what seems to be a relevant section of the Crash Report: 

Crashed Thread: 12 GPU Sniffer Launcher

Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)
Exception Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x00000000000004e0
Exception Note: EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY

Termination Signal: Segmentation fault: 11
Termination Reason: Namespace SIGNAL, Code 0xb
Terminating Process: exc handler [61279]

Help!!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 11, 2021 May 11, 2021

This is a known issue with the latest Photoshop release. Recommended roll back to a previous version with the CC desktop app until a fix is posted.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
May 03, 2021 May 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi use the adobe clean remove tool and try Photoshop 2020 if this works well then I think you need a new MacBook pro for the latest application...regards

Ali Sajjad / Graphic Design Trainer / Freelancer / Adobe Certified Professional

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 11, 2021 May 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the exact same problem. 2019 i9 iMac, 64 gig of ram. Terrabytes of free space. My wifes iMac is doing the same thing. It is easy to tell people to downgrade to Photoshop 2020, but for your many, many rural customers trapped by your utterly cloud centric business model, it is not so easy. These are the people you see all over the country parked outside coffee shops and internet cafes trying to download patches, updates, reinstalls, etc. Rural broadband in America is in pretty poor shape. We are the ones that suffer with quick to release patches that clearly have not been thoroughly tested. Our only option is to turn the program off and hope Adobe gets it together. Today is May 11th. Your post is May 3rd. That means this has been going on for at least eight days. Frankly, that is unacceptable in a product for which we pay dearly. At the moment, we are paying for a product that is core to our business needs, which doesn't work, and which doesn't look like anyone is doing anything about it. I haven't even mentioned the maddening instability of the Creative Cloud app.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, the creative cloud app... I always wonder why it eats 10% single core performance on my 10900 cpu while sitting there, idling. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 16, 2021 May 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i understand the problem as there is a lot of changes are going in apps and operating system all will be fixed soon...regards

Ali Sajjad / Graphic Design Trainer / Freelancer / Adobe Certified Professional

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks.  Tried this a couple of times.   I even got Photoshop to launch once, then upon quitting the app, it crashed.  Now back to the same cycle of launch-crash.  

The difficulty with your last suggestion is that I'm on a MacPro, not MacBook pro.   So, replacing this with one of the new MacPros is excessively expensive, and may not be a great investment with the new Apple hardware rollout...   This experience is causing me to question my allegiance with Adobe products.   These days, there are alternatives. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My above comment is in reply to lambiloon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That answer is unacceptable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 05, 2021 May 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i have a one year old MAC and this happend to me yesterday after creative cloud updated at 1:06EST. PSD 2020 opened without issue. Tech support suggested waiting for the next PSD update before trying PSD 2021 versions. FYI am also using catalina.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 08, 2021 May 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem and tried uninstalling and reinstalling PS 22.3.1. Tried Creative Cloud Cleaner. Tried disabling the GPU. No joy. I finally resorted to installing PS 21.2.7. That works fine. I'll use that version until Adobe releases an update fixing the problem. BTW, you can install earlier versions of the Adobe apps using the Creative Cloud Desktop app. Click on "Other versions".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 10, 2021 May 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to chime in - had the same problem, downgrading to 21.2.7 works so far. I hope Adobe will release a fix soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 01, 2021 Jun 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Seems like the latest catalina "security" update fixed my problems. Must have contained new GPU-Driver.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a known issue with the latest Photoshop release. Recommended roll back to a previous version with the CC desktop app until a fix is posted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 16, 2021 May 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kevin, has this issue been fixed with v22.4 that was just released?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 17, 2021 May 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For some yes - its not as comprehensive as they first thought. Some people are stil experiencing issues. Worth a try.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines