• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop crashing on print every time - new printer installed

Community Beginner ,
Sep 03, 2020 Sep 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I installed a new printer (Epson 1800 ecotank) last week and immediately, PS started crashing around 95% of the time I try to print.

I run a business that involves printing all day, every day, and this is completely doing my head in. PLEASE can someone suggest a solution?

I'm assuming this is a case of PS not liking the fact that the old printer (an Epson 1500) that the .PSD file references is no longer available.

I'm happy to re-input the new printer settings for each file. I am NOT happy to have to crash Photoshop, reset preferences file, and restart it for every single file I need to print. 

Event viewer reports the same thing every time: 
Faulting application name: Photoshop.exe, version: 21.2.2.289, Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 10.0.19041.423, time stamp: 0x06701e03

I'm running Windows Pro 64 bit, i5 chip, 16GB ram. Nothing hardware wise has changed except installation of a new printer.

Since this problem started (a week ago)

1. I've installed a clean copy of windows.
  2. All printer drivers are up to date
  3. All old printer info and drivers have been deleted.
  4. Graphics card (NVidia Quadro) driver is up to date.
  5. Reinstalled older version of Photoshop (same issue)
  6. Reinstalled Photoshop latest version (same issue)
  7. Moved Photoshop from new drive (E) to old drive (C).
  8. Crash still happens in Safe Mode.
  9. Crash still happens when all Start Up programmes are deactivated.
  10. Crash still happens when Graphics Accelaration is turned off (and on)
  11. Crash still happens when graphics card is switched on in  PS preferences (and when it isn't).
  12. Windows support has spent hours going through all the scans, checked for corrupted files etc and explored thoroughly and found nothing wrong with their side of it.
  13. The old "delete the preferences file" thing works for a single file, and then stops working.

I have literally THOUSANDS of files that I use daily. Having to crash photoshop, delete the preferences file, and start again for every single one is going to take weeks and weeks and be complete agony. Not to mention the inability to set any preferences. Working with PS at the moment is like swimming through liquid excrement.

If anyone has ideas or suggestions - I will be forever grateful! Apart from anything else, I will eventually have to switch printers again and the thought of going through this all over again is unbearable.

Thanks

Ruth

Full event log.

Faulting application name: Photoshop.exe, version: 21.2.2.289, time stamp: 0x5f2dd30a
Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 10.0.19041.423, time stamp: 0x06701e03
Exception code: 0xc0000374
Fault offset: 0x00000000000fed79
Faulting process ID: 0x109c
Faulting application start time: 0x01d681e69d22c531
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop 2020\Photoshop.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
Report ID: 7fcbeb0d-c7a2-48b5-b36c-d18f677f4c9f
Faulting package full name:

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ged. I've tried this before but had another go after all the re-installation.The first option results in this

Annotation 2020-09-03 180118.png 

Could this be the problem? And if so, how do I fix it? 

The second one - I've scanned the system twice in the past 24 hours (once with Microsoft Support mid-chat) and no issues found.
I've also done something called a DCIM which also found nothing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll

Indicate it was using some system service.  Can you print to a File? Is it your Printer causing the issue?

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi JJMack

Thanks for responding - yes, I can print fine using all my other applications.

The test page prints correctly.

The problem is getting to the print dialog in Photoshop. If I can get to the print dialog, it's all good. 

It seems to be something to do with bringing up the print dialog that crashes PS.

In about 5% of files, I get a "the saved printer information is no longer valid" or something along those lines, and the dialog then tells me I need to check my print settings, and then brings up the print dialog (where I can set print functions / paper size etc).

In the other 95% of files, PS just crashes. Sometimes I get the Adobe error report tool box up, most of the time it doesn't appear. 

Sometimes using the drop down box to go to "Print One Copy" works (gets me to the "saved information not valid" message.

Sometimes making a small adjustment to the file, saving it, and reopening it works.

Sometimes absolutely nothing works, PS crashes over and over again, at which point I can only delete the PS Preferences file. This works for the first file, but after that - crashing resumes.

I'm not sure how to print to a file in Photoshop but it works fine in Word.

Any ideas?
Ruth

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 07, 2021 Jul 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As far as I know this is a long standing Photoshop issue.  It does not like changing printers.  I have a set-up with several printers and if I save a file AFTER I have printed then open it again when the default printer on Windows has changed, try to print and Photoshop crashes!  Moral is to either NOT save files in Photoshop after printing, or don't change printer defaul outside Photoshop.

If I have saved a file accidentally after printing then I make a new blank file same size, move all layers across in a copy paste then use this copy file to print from and it works fine every time.

It's just a real pain that Photoshop has had this issue for years but the blame keeps being put on others.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Clive - agreed. It should be able to handle having several printer
options. It's a bit staggering that this problem has been around for so
long and has caused so much aggravation, yet hasn't ever been solved.

Like you, I've concluded that for some files the only way is to move all
layers etc and resave as a new doc.

However I've also found that if a particular document or printer change is
causing it to crash, creating a new blank document, opening the print
dialog (which always seems to open without any hassle!), selecting the
printer you want, and just closing the print dialog down seems to clear the
problem and the original problem file will (sometimes) go back to printing
normally.

Ruth Winchester
DoodlePippin
0794 115 7650

Shop / Website
/ Facebook / Instagram
/ Pinterest

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Ruth,

Thanks for the suggestion.  I will try the blank document-open print dialog method next time.

Clive

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines