• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop CS crashes when using Save As

New Here ,
May 28, 2010 May 28, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Until just recently, my Photoshop CS worked great on my Dell laptop running Windows Vista.

Now, whenever I try to Save As a photo file in Photoshop, the program closes without any error message. At times I can catch a glimpse of the dialogue box that normally appears when doing a Save As.

I have tried numerous things today to get Photoshop working, but nothing has helped. I did some maintenance on my computer, including disk cleanup, etc.; as well as uninstalling and then re-installing my Photoshop CS program, which I have on a disk. The rest of the program works fine, and I can do a Save and a Save For Web.

Does anyone have any tips for correcting this problem? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Deleted User
May 29, 2010 May 29, 2010

Try resetting your preferences as described in the FAQ.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/375776?tstart=0

You either have to physically delete (or rename) the preference files or, if using the Alt, Ctrl, and Shift method, be sure that you get a confirmation dialog.

This resets all settings in Photoshop to factory defaults.

A complete uninstall/re-install will not affect the preferences and a corrupt file there may be causing the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try resetting your preferences as described in the FAQ.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/375776?tstart=0

You either have to physically delete (or rename) the preference files or, if using the Alt, Ctrl, and Shift method, be sure that you get a confirmation dialog.

This resets all settings in Photoshop to factory defaults.

A complete uninstall/re-install will not affect the preferences and a corrupt file there may be causing the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the great advice.

After finally figuring out how to get the confirmation dialog box to appear,

I deleted the preference files and I can now Save As without the program

closing.

Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 03, 2012 Jan 03, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you for posting this question, I am facing the same problem.

I've tried deleting the preference files by using the Option, Command, and Shift method. But I am not able to get the confirmation dialog box.

@John Joslin and @auntof4: how did you get the confirmation dialog box to appear?

Your help will be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John has passed to the great Photoshop in the sky.

If you want to reset preferences click to start Photoshop and IMMEDIATELY hold down the Ctrl + Alt + Shift for a Windows machine.  It is a little tricky so keep trying until you get the reset window.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Curt Y wrote:

John has passed to the great Photoshop in the sky.

It's funny how it never feels that way, isn't it? Every time one of his old posts pop up, I feel like adding a little comment just to say "Hi, John!"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 16, 2021 Jun 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Were you able to reset preferences by pressing Option, Command, and Shift right when the program opens? My CS6 keeps crashing on my Mac when I try to save and I'm not having much luck finding how to solve it. Please help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@realleeee wrote:

Were you able to reset preferences by pressing Option, Command, and Shift right when the program opens? My CS6

In CS6 on the Mac:

• Quit PS
  • Press and hold Ctrl+Cmd+Opt+Shift and keep holding them down as you launch PS
  • When you see a dialog box asking if you want to reset preferences, release the four keys

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jane, thank you so much for your response! When I followed your instruction I got a pop up window saying "Delete the Adobe Photoshop Settings File?". Would this be the same thing as resetting preferences?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @realleeee 

Yes. It will look like this, but possibly in a lighter color.

~ Jane

janee_0-1623880928789.jpeg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 21, 2018 Dec 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you John, it really worked for me. At least until now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 15, 2021 Jun 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi John, the link is not available anymore. Can you please let me know how to reset the preferences? It'll be a tremendous help. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@realleeee wrote:

Hi John, the link is not available anymore. Can you please let me know how to reset the preferences? 

This thread is from 2010. John isn't here anymore, nor is the link. Here is the Adobe Help page:

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preferences.html

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 21, 2020 Apr 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have been having this problem since the most recent update. The solution still works ten years later.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 15, 2021 Jun 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, can you please let me know how you solved the issue? The link John provided up there isn't available anymore. I'd really appreciate your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, can you please let me know how you solved the issue? The link John provided isn't available anymore. I'd really appreciate your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 12, 2023 Jan 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I had the same problem on Windows. I only solved it by removing a folder from the directory Photoshop was browsing within the "Save As" dialog when crashing. In my case it was the so called "God Mode" system folder.

If your crashes have a similar cause: 

Try removing non-regular files or folders found in the directory shown in the "Save As" dialog when Photoshop crashes.

screen.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines