• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop CS3 Activation [CS3 is dead]

New Here ,
Sep 02, 2016 Sep 02, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I purchased Photoshop CS3 several years ago, but have lost the installation disc along with the activation key.  I never registered the product on adobe's website.  I do have 2 machines that I have activated the software on previously.  In addition, I have a backed up copy of my photoshop folder from "Program Files" in Windows.  Is there any way to retrieve the activation key from my backed up folder?  Or can Adobe check based on my MAC address and find the key based on the 2 computers that have successfully activated previously?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 01, 2020 Jan 01, 2020

It's now 2020.  As an update, CS3 activation servers are gone.  And Adobe ended access to activation-free installers and replacement serial numbers.  Customer Care agents cannot help with this matter.  CS3 is officially dead.

If you never upgrade your computer or OS, you could potentially keep using CS3 for another 12+ years.  But I'm sorry to say that re-installation is no longer an option.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Sep 02, 2016 Sep 02, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You really need to keep a paper copy of all serial numbers in a desk drawer

Lost information - reply #1 in https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2008767

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 03, 2016 Sep 03, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have the machines the software was activated on and they are working you should be able to extract the Product ID which is different to activation. Your post is slightly confusing as you talk about a MAC address by which I'm guessing you mean the unique ID of the network card in your computer rather than a Mac computer? So I'll assume your on Windows as you have a Windows backup.

Download a copy of Belarc Advisor which is free

Belarc Advisor - Free Personal PC Audit, for software, hardware and security configuration informati...

It will produce a list of serial numbers for most of the software on your PC. If you have a Mac you need the commercial version which is not free. If your CS3 was bought as an update to CS2 then this will not work as you'll also require the serial for CS2 -the upgrade qualifying product.

You can download the installation media from here:

Download Adobe Creative Suite 3 products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 03, 2016 Sep 03, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And just to rub it in: You don't pay for the software. That's free. You pay for the serial number.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 24, 2017 Aug 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Honestly, I think Adobe is running a scam on all us. We had older versions that worked perfectly fine. They disabled those versions to force us to subscribe. I've "chatted" with help numerous times to solve the problem,,and nothing. My latest error after downloading their install folder "Photoshop CS3 can't be installed because of a conflict with Photoshop CS3".

I run Windows 10 and had no issue. Been running my Photoshop for about a 1 1/2 years, no problem. I use Photoshop infrequently, so paying $20 a month to make them richer is useless to me.

Goodluck to others. We're being held hostage through cyber terrorism.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 24, 2017 Aug 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, they just closed the activation servers so your old disc and serial number will not work.

You can get a new serial number and non-activation installer here:

Activation or connection error when starting CS3 or Acrobat 8

Of course be very sure your old CS3 is uninstalled and check the "Remove Serial number" option when you do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 04, 2021 Jun 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have CS3 and i still have my serial number. My problem is my hard disc crash and i do not have the chance to uninstall my CS3, now i just want to start my CS3 with my new hard disk. Could you answer me what i have to do at coeurdepomme@cgocable.ca

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are no longer Adobe Activation Servers to Activate CS3. If you missed Adobe download  offer for old CS3 user for an CS3 installer that does not require Activation.  You miss the boat the download is no longer available.  You may want to consider buying a Photoshop Elements version.  It will have RAW support for new camera models and most of the features found in CS3. 

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You write i miss the boat but i do not understand why i have to pay for something working weel for me before my hard disc crash. I receive an answer,

Pour gérer vos notifications, cliquez ici.

Si ce lien ne fonctionne pas :

1. Connectez-vous à Adobe Support Community.
  2. Cliquez sur Mon profil.
  3. Cliquez sur l'onglet Abonnements et marques.
  4. Modifiez vos paramètres, et cliquez sur Sauvegarder les modifications.

to solve my problem but i do not find the element write in the instruction no. 3

Could you help me

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The problem is the CS3 is no longer supported and can no longer be activated. You did pay for it and it broke and can not be fixed there is no support for CS3 its dead. You lost your activation credentials in the crash.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 20, 2019 Jun 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good evening,

I want to thank Gener7 with this answer and his shortcut.

I bought an old camera (canon 1D mIII) and could not open the RAW files with my CS version.

I found via  http://www.imagemaven.com/camera-raw/ the right plug-in but had also to find an old CS3 version.

To day i Bought it in Holland for $ 30,00 and had ofcourse an problem with the activation.

With the link from Gener7 i get an new activationcode and an program from Adobe to install CS3.

After putting in de new code everything is working fine.

Thanks

Greetings

Dirk Rotterdam Netherlands

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 20, 2019 Jun 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm glad it worked for you. A reminder that CS3 was designed for the OS that was current when it was released years ago. It's a 32 bit program and the new MacOS 10.15 will not allow 32 bit programs to run. Windows is usually more generous, but they may follow suit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 01, 2020 Jan 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's now 2020.  As an update, CS3 activation servers are gone.  And Adobe ended access to activation-free installers and replacement serial numbers.  Customer Care agents cannot help with this matter.  CS3 is officially dead.

If you never upgrade your computer or OS, you could potentially keep using CS3 for another 12+ years.  But I'm sorry to say that re-installation is no longer an option.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 13, 2020 Jan 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, If you purchase a copy of 2020 Elements it is inexpensive and a pretty good substitute. There is no subscrition fee as well. My old CS3 cost a fotrune when it came out, compared to Elements 2020 which is under $100. There are some new elements on 2020 that I like better than my CS3. I was angry when I could not transfer CS3 to my new computer, but my anger was diminished when I began playing with the new program. Give it a try. Once you do, you will begrudgingly agree that it is better. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 30, 2020 Jan 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

will I still be able to open all of the files I created and saved in CS3?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 30, 2020 Jan 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

micheller28009829
Most likely, yes.  

See Photoshop Elements 2020 Supported File Types

https://fileinfo.com/software/adobe/photoshop_elements

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 03, 2020 Mar 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad to hear someone give 2020 Elements a thumbs up.  I am babying every computer I have that has my PS on it lol  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 04, 2020 Mar 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Elements is pretty nice. It has many upgrades from CS3. Once you get the hang of it, you will probably like it better. I do. I hate (HATE) change, but sometimes change is good. Elements 2020 (if you use the "Professional" settings) works and feels the same as CS3. Good luck, hold on to what you have for as long as you can! Also know that there is a good substitute for under $100. No subscription fee. You can buy the subscription plan and have all the bells and whistles. I didn't. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 02, 2020 Mar 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear, trying to move the license from Win7 to Win10, but getting issue

please confirm if can do the above.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Maryama, If you are trying to move your cs3 license to a windows 10 you cannot. It has been killed. We all thought we owned our copies of CS3, however Adobe disagreed. They have made it impossible to renew or even use your copy of CS3. If you can leave it on your computer and not upgrade or update it you can still use it. Any change or try to move and it will not be able to be used. It just runs a loop that states you have to license your copy. There is no recovery for that. I bought a copy of Photoshop [Elements] 2020, it is nice. I would recommend it. It is a stupid situation, I'm sorry for our loss. I loved my CS3 and would not have changed anything. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dead.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 07, 2020 Mar 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nothing was disabled in existing installations. Just new installs can no longer be activated.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 07, 2020 Mar 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Intellectual property (software) is completely different from tangible property like cars and cameras.  As such, different rules apply.  Adobe owns the software.  Read the EULA below.

https://labs.adobe.com/technologies/eula/photoshopcs3.html

Every product has an End of Life date and CS1, CS2 and CS3 [EDIT and CS4] were no exception.  All are officially dead now. 

Photoshop Elements 2020 is a one-time purchase. And PSE 2020 is a major step up from CS3.  But it pales in comparison to Photoshop CC 2020 which you can only get by subscription.

Photoshop Elements 2020 (approx $100, no subscription needed)

https://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop-elements.html

Creative Cloud Photography Plan (approx $10/month for 1 year subscription)

https://www.adobe.com/creativecloud/photography.html

Creative Cloud All Apps Plan (50 + apps & services)

https://www.adobe.com/creativecloud/plans.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 08, 2020 Mar 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree!  It is very stupid and regardless if they "own" the software or not we should not have to buy something new if what we have works fine for us!  I don't need updates/upgrades( I never did them anyway).  I spent a lot of money on it when I bought it and never even used all the bells and whistles for my photography business.   Makes me crazy to even have to spend $100 for elements when what I have works for me just fine!  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 08, 2020 Mar 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is the point. If it is working "just fine" on a PC now it will continue to work. It is only when you change something e.g. upgrade your hardware, operating system etc that you require a new install and at that point CS3 will not activate.

There are three parts to a system. Hardware (PC/Cameras etc), operating system, applications. If you choose to freeze any in time then freeze all three and make sure your system is fully backed up so you don't need to re-install. Upgrading any of those three runs the risk of incompatibity or the inability to re-install. None of that is new, it's just the nature of a system.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines