• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop CS6 not opening in Big Sur update for Mac

Explorer ,
Dec 03, 2020 Dec 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had Photoshop CS6 installed on my iMac when it was running High Sierra. It ran smoothly for every update through Catalina. With the most recent Update (Big Sur), it will not open. There is a hack, where you "Show Package Contents" for the CS6.app, then go to Contents > MacOS > click on Adobe Photoshop CS6 and just disregard the error notices that pop up, close them and this opens Photoshop. The video I watched worked in Catalina, but when I tried it with the Big Sur update...it showed different popup messages and the only choice was to leave "terminal" open (if terminal was closed, the whole operation closed). Photoshop opened after closing the pop ups, but I was left with a spinning ball and it never ended. Therefore the hack didn't work for Photoshop in the Big Sur update. Does anyone have any solution to this and if not, does anyone know if there will be any attempt to make CS6 et al work in Big Sur? Any advice or information will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Dec 03, 2020 Dec 03, 2020

>>>Does anyone have any solution to this and if not, does anyone know if there will be any attempt to make CS6 et al work in Big Sur?

Regrettably, there is no solution for Big Sur and CS6 will never be updated to run on Big Sur.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer , Jan 09, 2021 Jan 09, 2021

Truth be told, I found an expert who was able to get Adobe CC 2020 to work perfectly with Big Sur, so I'm sticking with what I know for the time being. I'm a digital artist working with Corel Painter software and usually use Photoshop in a limited capacity (mostly composition functions) prior to painting with Corel. The Photoshop software I am using now may or may not work with higher versions of mac IOS, but I plan on staying with Big Sur indefinitely or as long as practicable.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Nov 11, 2021 Nov 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the offer but I'm ok. I always create a disk image before I do major upgrades to any of my machines or servers. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 28, 2020 Dec 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm in the same boat John, I spent over 600 dollars for the CD and had it installed on my IMAC. Now with all updates it canceled the software out. I just through 600 dollars out the window. I have CS6 on windows 10, but I hate using windows. Leaves me no choice. Maybe I should revert back to 32 bit on my MAC, updates are not neccessary for the software. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 10, 2021 Apr 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi John,

How do you know that Big Sur will never be updated to accommodate Adobe CS6 packages?
I'm hoping one day apple there will upgrade to permit the 16-bit capability software

I've got other 16-bit software aswell which I can no longer ac use & was forced to subscribe to Microsoft office 365

There is the alternative to refer back to Catalina but reckon this could end a bit messy to do 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 10, 2021 Apr 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>>>How do you know that Big Sur will never be updated to accommodate Adobe CS6 packages?

The question should be asked the other way around since CS6 needs to be updated to support Big Sur.

Big Sur only supports 64 bit code. While CS6 apps are 64 bit, the installers and associated files contain 32 bit components which Big Sur cannot run. That prevents you from installing CS6 on Big Sur.

So, Adobe would have to replace all 32 bit components in CS6 with their 64 bit equivalents. Since CS6 is dead in Adobe's eyes, that will never happen. Adobe's resources are totally committed to the future and their Cloud versions.

>>>There is the alternative to refer back to Catalina but reckon this could end a bit messy to do 

There is no advantage in reverting to Catalina since Catalina, like Big Sur, also only supports 64 bit.

You'd have to revert to Mojave or earlier to run 32 bit apps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 24, 2021 Oct 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I had the same issue. I created a bootable disk using El Capitan or high Sierra (it doesn't matter) put the bootable disk on a 250-500gb exeternal solid state hard drive. Roughly $50.  After that, takenyour

start up and installation disks from your Adobe and install it to your new HD. Now, fire up your apple off the bootable disk rather than the internal hd. Note: if you hold the option key when you start up, it will boot to a menu prompting you to choose the Internal or the bootable disk. (I named mine "El Capitan HDD" to distinguish the two. It works great! Good luck 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 04, 2020 Dec 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I think that you can't even install CS6 on catalina as the installer is a 32bits apps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 04, 2020 Dec 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi PECourtejoie...read my hack above and look at YouTube for the hack (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhnyYh_N9q4)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 19, 2021 Jan 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any luck to do this with CS5 you think?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 20, 2021 Jan 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CS5 has 32 bit elements that wont run in newer MacOSes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 30, 2020 Dec 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Clearly, Adobe wants you to switch to "rent-ware."  A lot of software companies are headed in this direction, as it feeds their bottom line on a continuing basis.  There are alternatives to Photoshop, notably Affinity Photo.  There of course is a learning curve and some functions won't be available, but depending on your work flow, it might be worth your while to check it out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 09, 2021 Jan 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Move to Affinty softwares. Abode suite became bloated crapwares. The Affinity suite works soomthly and is quite cheaper. You can try it before buying the softwares. I stoped with Adobe at the CS6.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Truth be told, I found an expert who was able to get Adobe CC 2020 to work perfectly with Big Sur, so I'm sticking with what I know for the time being. I'm a digital artist working with Corel Painter software and usually use Photoshop in a limited capacity (mostly composition functions) prior to painting with Corel. The Photoshop software I am using now may or may not work with higher versions of mac IOS, but I plan on staying with Big Sur indefinitely or as long as practicable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have purchased Affinity. However, I reverted my MAC to Mojave. I’m not
giving up my CS 6 on IMAC. So, I’ve decided to keep it. It is a shame that
I had to revert my iMac. I don’t use it much but only for ART design and
photo editing also video editing. Those monthly subscription doesn’t work
for me either. I wish I can throw 55 dollars a month but I needs my money.
Lol

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi SD777,

I’ve remained in Mojave also…  Too many problems and related costs to move on to other OS’s.  Also, the new chips will change everything anyway…

z

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 18, 2021 Jan 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you only do Photo/Video editing there are much less expensive options out there - The Photoshop Photography plan which includes PS and LR is only $9.99/mo.

Premiere Pro added on is another $20.

Better than the $54/mo for more than you may need.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 18, 2021 Jan 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Kevin, but I found someone to get Photoshop cc 2020 working in Big Sur and am very pleased with it. But I will keep the PS/LR option in mind going forward.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kevin,

you mean you are running the photoshop version for Windows on Big Sur? How do you do this? 
I'm at a crossroads because I need a new computer, so do I find an "older" computer that is still being sold in store with Catalina or previous on it or do I get a new computer from Apple with big sur, or possibly Catalina. If I can run bought version on new computer that would be the ticket. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry I meant that for Scottkb2000, not Kevin. I don't know how to edit a post. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

A subscription is not tied to Windows or Mac. You can activate in two machines, in any combination  of PC/Mac but the license is personal and permits use on only one at a time. So it is one seat at two machines.  If you try and activate on a third then you will be asked to deactivate one of the others.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No - you run the Mac version on Big Sur. Your Adobe account allows you to download either version - Mac or Windows depending on your system. You don't buy a Windows or Mac version anymore.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm leaving...this is driving me crazy!Thanks everyone!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the post I am referring to:

"Thanks Kevin, but I found someone to get Photoshop cc 2020 working in Big Sur and am very pleased with it." -Scottkb2000

photoshop cc 2020 is a downloadable version. So how did he get it to run on Big Sur?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There was an update to 22.1.1 that resolved a lot of issues with Big Sur.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 07, 2021 Feb 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you answer a question for me. When using the current Adobe Cloud, is all design work produced on the Cloud or are you downloading the apps to the desktop?  Since Adobe Cloud's introduction, I've not even been able to access the free InDesign trial because of the slow internet connection.  I have Frontier High-Speed DSL in Bishop, California and "high-speed internet" with a monthly limited bandwidth allocation outside of Chico.  One Adobe Acrobat update (940 mb) on the "high-speed internet" used up a month's allotment, slowing the speed down to dial-up.  It's not possible to pay for additional bandwidth. 

Additionally,  I am still working off a 2010 MBP with the CS6 version.  I am a print book designer with publications in CS6, 5 and 4. If I can get the free trial, will using the Cloud make those files in those standalone desktop applications unreadable or will I be able to still access them from the old desktop versions? 

Though not Adobe, I've attached  a screenshot of the download time for a Garmin map update using Frontier High Speed DSL (122 hours) and high speed limited bandwidth (2449 hours).  Our country country's rural areas still lag behind other countries for high speed DSL.  

And thank you in advance  for being reachable contacts for Adobe questions. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 07, 2021 Feb 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The apps are downloaded and run on the local PC. You can choose to save to the cloud or save locally.

Photoshop can be run offline but needs to connect every 30 days to confirm the subscription is valid.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines