• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop detected an error in your display driver

Community Beginner ,
Apr 23, 2021 Apr 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I have a 2012 retina macbook pro, and I'm running MacOS Catalina 10.15.7. It also has NVIDIA Geforce GT 650M 1GB & Intel HD Graphics 4000 1536MB. 

I have been using photoshop with no problems at all, but then out of nowhere, I suddenly start getting this error message when I'm trying to do basic tasks such as using the brush tool: "The 3D features require that 'Use Graphics Processor' is enabled in the Performance preferences. Your video card must meet the minimum requirements and you may need to check that your driver is working correctly."

So I go into the performance settings and I can't check 'Use Graphics Processor' because there is this error message: 

"Photoshop detected an error in your display driver. Update or reinstall the driver and check Graphic Processor to retry."

My Macbooks up to date, and I've tried suggestions from other topics like this, but nothing seems to work. It's so frustrating because I'm trying to meet a University deadline, and I haven't been able to work on it all day. I would greatly appreciate any suggestions!   

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Beginner , Apr 24, 2021 Apr 24, 2021

Hi there, thanks for the suggestion. I downloaded this application called gfxCardStatus, and it lets you disable the cards. I've attached a screenshot, and it basically switches back to Discrete Only everytime I select Integrated Only. It won't let me use the  main nvidia geforce card on its own. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , May 24, 2021 May 24, 2021

Hi

NVidia's 650M 1GB released in 2012 does not meet the current, published,  system requirements for Photoshop
https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/system-requirements.html

However a little background on what is happening with GPUs and an action that may work for you (paragraph 4).

A bit of background on the video card :

There are several things at play here.
1. Adobe are updating the core graphics functions in Photoshop. This is driven by the operating systems of Apple and Microsoft in which the old Op

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unplug your monitor and relaunch Photoshop - does the error still occur?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 24, 2021 Apr 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just checking, but your recommending I physically detach my MacBook Pro laptop screen?  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 26, 2021 Apr 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You list two graphics cards - I assumed you were connected to an external display.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Photoshop has issues if multiple graphics cards with conflicting drivers are seen. See section 7 here :

https://helpx.adobe.com/uk/photoshop/kb/troubleshoot-gpu-graphics-card.html

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't any luck following step 7 I'm afraid. Thank you though, it was a good suggestion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can try disabling the Intel graphics. Note that the nVidia card is old enough that it may not be supported for graphics acceleration.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there, thanks for the suggestion. I downloaded this application called gfxCardStatus, and it lets you disable the cards. I've attached a screenshot, and it basically switches back to Discrete Only everytime I select Integrated Only. It won't let me use the  main nvidia geforce card on its own. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 28, 2021 Apr 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 22, 2021 May 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nvidia 650M 1GB is officially supported. It doesn't work, I don't see any problem solving here. What does "corect answer" mean in this case?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Correct answer means the original poster's issue was resolved - confirmed by that poster.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for sharing, it's really helpful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the exact same problem. Mac os 10.15.7 MacBook Pro 9.1 . The methods given here did not help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 24, 2021 May 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What version of Photoshop are you running?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 24, 2021 May 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

NVidia's 650M 1GB released in 2012 does not meet the current, published,  system requirements for Photoshop
https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/system-requirements.html

However a little background on what is happening with GPUs and an action that may work for you (paragraph 4).

A bit of background on the video card :

There are several things at play here.
1. Adobe are updating the core graphics functions in Photoshop. This is driven by the operating systems of Apple and Microsoft in which the old Open GL functions are being removed in the case of Apple, or deprecated in the case of Microsoft. This means that the graphics functions that have worked for years must be rewritten to use Metal and Direct X. At the same time, Adobe are sensibly updating those core functions to deliver the additional speed we require to handle the very large files of today.
2. Led by the changes being made above, Adobe introduced new GPU checks in 22.3.1. Unfortunately, these caused issues and have therefore been revised for v22.4. That means that many GPUs that incorrectly did not work in 22.3.1 will now be seen in 22.4 and will function.
3. Some functionality in Photoshop, such as 3D, still relies on the older Open GL graphics functions. To make these work, an additional preference Preferences>Technology previews>Deactivate Native Canvas has been added. This can be checked and Photoshop restarted to restore 3D functions to where they were in 22.3
4. Unfortunately, the move to update the core graphics functions will mean that some older GPUs will no longer be suitable. If you are using 22.4 and your GPU is still not recognised, first make sure the driver is up to date. If it is and you only have a single GPU enabled ( conflicting GPUs remain an issue) then you could try and force Photoshop to use your older GPU by creating a file PSUserConfig.txt containing the lines:
# Force GPU On
GPUForce 1
Save that text file to :
Windows: [InstallationDrive]:\Users \ [UserName]\ AppData\ Roaming\ Adobe\ [Photoshop_version]\[Photoshop_version]Settings\
macOS: //Users/[UserName]/Library/Preferences/[Photoshop_version]Settings/
Note though that this requires 22.4 or 22.4.1 and is not officially supported by Adobe, so may cause other issues such as instability or crashes if the functions are not fully supported or VRAM insufficient – so you do it at your own risk

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 15, 2021 Jun 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't thank you enough!

The PSUserConfig.txt file seems to have solved my issues.

I tried re-installing my Graphics Drivers (GeForce GTX 550 Ti) and nothing worked!

I recently updated my PC to Windows 10 and my Photoshop CS6 would not run right at all, it was slow and I had many issues with screen redraw and major performance issues. So I figured I just needed to update to Photoshop CC. After the update Photoshop did work better but still had performance issues. Using the pen tool would leave traces of the path (like broken lines) and I couldn't see the nodes for the different points in a path.

After adding the PSUserConfig.txt and restarting Photoshop I was able to select "Use Graphics Processor" and "Advanced Settings" (it was grayed out before).

Photoshop seems to be running much smoother now and the pen tool is working correctly now and a lot of functions that weren't available are now available.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 15, 2021 Jun 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm glad it has helped, but treat it as a workaround that has bought a bit of time. The tests that your GPU failed are there to show it will work reliably. You may experiences crashes as more of the new GPU functionality is released and used. So really it is time to look toward a newer GPU that meets the current requirements.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 28, 2021 Jun 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dave mate, you are a legend! Spent way too long trying to figure this out. I know it's a workaround but it's a lifesaver! Cheers Jörgen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 09, 2021 Jul 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Workarounds that solve a problem without creating new problems are great.  Such is the case with your recommendation for a PSUserConfig.txt file.  Worked perfectly for my old GeForce GTX 550 Ti and so far, no new issues have appeared using the latest version of Photoshop (2021).  Thanks for the advice and expertise.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 09, 2021 Jul 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. Same Graphics card here, GTX 550 Ti and this "workaround" fixed my issues and made Photoshop usable again.

I hand been using Photoshop with this workaround for almost a month now and have experienced no problems at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 05, 2021 Aug 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

YOU ARE AMAZING!!! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 05, 2021 Aug 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry I forgot to post my specs for anyone else experiencing similiar issues and might be hesistant to mess with their config. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 14, 2021 Aug 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not every angel has wings. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 22, 2021 Sep 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a way you could simplify the steps for this workaround?  I am not ab;e to locate the foldere where I am supposed to place this new file.

Thank You,

Kim

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 22, 2021 Sep 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just a suggestion but go into your file explorer settings and see if "show hidden files" is checked. If it's not, check it. You may have to restart for it to take effect.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines