• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop File Saving From Bridge not defaulting to saving the file to Original folder

Engaged ,
Jun 20, 2021 Jun 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I process MANY RAW files via Bridge > Camera Raw > Photoshop.

After processing the FIRST image, I always have to locate the folder where my new raw files reside. 

The Folder with the RAW files does not appear in the Save pulldown options.

Thereafter, file saves will go the the same location where the first file is saved.

I seem to recall that PS used to default to saving processed files to the Raw file origin folder? 

This is a huge time waster, as I often process batches of raw files into multiple folders. 

Is there not a basic setting to improve this? Thanks.

{Thread title edited by moderator}

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 21, 2021 Jun 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, 

We're sorry about the trouble with Photoshop. Would you mind sharing the version of Photoshop you're using along with your computers operating system? 

I believe you are talking about the option to Save As to Original Folder. You can go to the Preferences of Photoshop, then File Handling & ensure that the option is enabled. If it isn't, enable the option & then relaunch Photoshop to check if that helps.

PS save as to original folder.png

Let us know if this helps!

Regards,

Nikunj

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 15, 2022 Jan 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this same issue, but in the latest Photoshop version.  I have "Save File to Original Folder" checked off, but it does not work.  I always to search for the folder the first time I'm saving in it.  I have never had this problem in previous versions of Photoshop.  I cannot find a solution anywhere. Please advise. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 21, 2022 Feb 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this problem too. A solution would be greatly appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Bridge > Camera Raw > Photoshop" is meaningless, are you talking about opening files into Photoshop via Camera RAW? You pick where to save and it defaults to the last folder you saved into.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If that was meant to be helpful, can I just say it wasn't and I would have expected a morte courteous and respectful response from an 'Adobe Community Professional'.

Bridge > Camera Raw > Photoshop is the common way to treat files:

pick from Bridge

basic edit in Camera Raw
    refine edit in photoshop.

I have just tested this on a fresh opening of the applications and it goes to 'Documents' to save whereas, until recently, it would automatically save in the folder that the raw file came from.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not seeing this on either MacOS Monterey or Windows 10 Pro. In both cases, Photoshop saves to the last used folder. Check Preferences->File Handling to see how you have set the Save As preferences (which you'll get when saving a processed RAW file.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may not be seeing it but I am (on Windows 10 Pro).

I have checked Preferences->File Handling and it is is correctly ticked but it is still saving processed Raw files to 'Documents' on opening a new session.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Meaningless? I thought these forums were supposed to be POLITE.

Seems pretty obvious to me:

Select file(s) in Bridge

Process in Camera Raw 

Files open in Photoshop 

Save to hard drive

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 22, 2022 Feb 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

X>Y>Z is typically how we show menu usage. If you mean opening a file in Camera RAW and editing in Photoshop, please say so.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I said so, in terms that everyone else was able to grasp.

Rule #1 in tech support is to not impugn those seeking assistance. 

Did you see that rule?

I beta tested Photoshop 1.0, and have used PS daily since then, professionally. 

Photopshop "professionals" typically employ basic courtesy in online dialog.

So you have corrected my grammar, but not offered any useful solution. 

Why don't we just leave it at that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It may be how you 'typically' use it (I am not familiar with that usage) but the meaning should have been clear enough.

Your tone is abrasive and not what I expect on a forum that is supposed to be supportive,
Meanwhile, the problem persists.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let's just make sure we're all on the same page here:

• "Save As to Original Folder" is checked in Photoshop preferences, which is indeed the default.
  • Open raw file from Bridge > ACR > Photoshop.
  • Save out the rendered RGB file from Photoshop. It will save directly back to the folder the raw file was originally in.

This is the way it's supposed to work, and this is how it works here. I just tested to be absolutely sure.

So. If it doesn't work like this, then it's probably a corrupt preferences file, and resetting preferences should fix it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll try to be more clear:

1. I typically save raw files from a CF Card (from camera) to a NEW FOLDER on an internal drive (nested within the designated folder for that camera)

2. Files are selected in Bridge, then processed in Camera Raw

3. After processing in Camera Raw, the files open in PS, are cropped etc., then saved. THIS is when I have to locate the folder where the newly processed raw files reside. 

I often save hundreds raw files from camera to mulitple folders, then process in Camera Raw. This is where the folder search becomes inefficient.

"Save As to Original Folder" is checked in my Photoshop preferences.

If I "save/save as" a previously processed, or existing file the image WILL be saved to it's designateed folder.

Again, it is only the newly CR processed files that present the issue described above.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 23, 2022 Feb 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I just unticked the "Save As to Original Folder" box, saved the new preferences, closed photoshop, re-opened it, re-ticked the box, saved those preferences and it now seems to work.

So a mangled preferences file appears to have been the problem.

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines