Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop Hair selection.

New Here ,
Jul 11, 2021 Jul 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! Everyone to the community.

Subject:  Masking out hair from a dark background.

Can anyone here tell me that how to mask out hair from a dark background?

Thanks in advance.

Regards:

Ali Naqi.

Note: It will be my pleasure if you suggest me anymethod irrespective of painting hairs.

I have attached the example in the attachments.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Quite frankly I think the image is a bad fit for the task, presumably the photographer was not aware of how the image is now being used and the noise is pretty bad to boot (though the jpg artefacts may be a factor, too). 

Do you have access to the RAW image? If so developping it in 16bit and with more attention on the noise might provide a better starting point. 

I think Select > Subject does not do a terrible job but much of the fine hair gets lost. 

So one can try to isolate the areas of the most meaningful separation of forground and background in the channels and try to combine them; but ultimately I doubt that a lot of manual input (aka painting) can be avoided. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need good contrast between the Hair and the background for a good extraction. Your image is quite dark lacks contrast and I'm colorblind so I do not do color well.  Still IMO select subject did an acceptable job  given this difficult image. You are not going to be able to extract her stray hairs.

image.png

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Sometimes you need to fake em.

Many years ago I would use the smudge tool at a high % and a small brush size with a Wacom tablet. There are many "hair brushes" available these days too.

If nobody sees the original, then they have an "unbiased" expectation.

It's funny how things go, back in the day, art directors usually wanted to remove the "whispies", not retain them!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines