• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop is totally hosed

New Here ,
Jun 13, 2021 Jun 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't used Photoshop since December, and didn't use it much at all. I got a "full scratch disk" error that prevented me from launching it, so I attempted to install a recent upgrade, thinking that might solve the problem. The update failed. So I did what I normally would do, and uninstalled the software so I could reinstall it. However, that didn't work either. I tried to install the Creative Cloud again (I bought PS as a standalone product without the other apps). After I ran it, the app redisplayed the same Update dialog I'd attempted to use earlier. I tried it again, and the update still failed. What is going on? How do I get Photoshop up and running?

[Moderator moved the thread to the correct forum: Photoshop]

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PS. I'm on Windows 10.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When your scratch disk is full, you have to fix the full scratch disk. No amoujnt of uninstalling and reinstalling and updating and hoping it's a bug is going to do that for you.  Do you understand what Photoshop means by scratch disk? Let us know, as I'd rather give an explanation that makes sense.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, I don't understand it. I looked it up and it said I had missing or corrupted .dlls, which I presumed had been part of the original PS installation. If it's more complicated than that I'll just take the laptop to Geek Squad. Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

" I looked it up and it said I had missing or corrupted .dlls, "

Unfortunately there is a lot of really bad info on the internet, and this is a good example: it's just nonsense.

It's really very simple: Photoshop is designed to work with very big files, and when it starts it makes a huge, huge file to store info about your edits. You can choose which disk (or disks) to use for these huge files. These are called the "scratch disk". There's nothing broken, it's just saying your disk is too full.

There are three causes of this:

1. The disk really is nearly full. You should make sure you have at least 20GB free, and that's a bare minimum.

2. You have plenty of space, but it's on another disk. You can tell Photoshop to use that disk instead.

3. You are unluckily trying to edit a really, really huge file (this can happen because of errors in New document too).

I'm going to assume you have only one disk. A lot of computers come with a disk (SSD) that's just too small, and it gets filled with all sorts of things. So, how much free space is there on your disk? If you're not sure, let us know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Sounds like your computer doesn't meet the min-system requirements to support Creative Cloud & Photoshop efficiently.  An underpowered machine is very frustrating.   See links below.
- https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/system-requirements.html

Pay particular attention to Photoshop's new GPU requirements. See links below.
- https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/system-requirements.html
- https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/photoshop-cc-gpu-card-faq.html

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines