Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop keeps freezing & crashing after 22.4 update on Windows 10

Explorer ,
May 14, 2021 May 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please help!

I updated Photoshop to the latest version an hour ago. I have since had multiple crashes everytime I drag layers into a composition, or try to use the menu to resize etc it just freezes. Also, all my tabs as you can see on the right from the screen shot are greyed out. It was all working fine yesterday. I'm in the middle of a production too. Advice please!

Spec:

Predator Helious 300

NVIDIA Geforce RTX

Windows 10

PS Screen.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had non-stop crashes since the new Photoshop update the other day (I rebooted after the install). I can only work in Photoshop for a few minutes before it crashes. I keep clicking the Send Error Report to Adobe and hope someone is getting them to fix whatever is happening. I've never experienced this before. 

PC, Windows 10

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

We're sorry about the trouble with Photoshop 22.4. Please ensure you have all available Windows updates installed on the computer along with the latest drivers for your computers graphics card.

You can try disabling the option to Use Graphics Processor from Photoshop by going to Preferences, then Performance. Once done, quit & relaunch Photoshop to check if that helps.

If it helps, you can try the steps suggested here: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/troubleshoot-gpu-graphics-card.html

If the issue persists, you can try to reset the preferences of Photoshop using the steps mentioned here: https://adobe.ly/2Qzc0K3

Please backup your settings prior to resetting the preferences. You can check: https://adobe.ly/2vNz6FG

Let us know how it goes!

Regards,

Nikunj

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm in the middle of working on a project (Photoshop and InDesign) and don't have time for all that right now. I uninstalled the latest Photoshop version and installed 22.3.1 and everything works fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 15, 2021 May 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Nikunj,

Firstly, I disabled the option to Use Graphics Processor. Then this seemed to run things ok, but felt slow and 'clunky'.

Secondly, I enabled this again today, and so far PS seemed to have settled down and running ok, but I have not tried it on main project work as yet.

The most frustrating thing now is some of the icons are greyed out. So hovering over them gives me their identity. This is not right workflow.

Attachment below.

Everything was working great before this latest update. I have updated my driver and Windows 10 is fully up to date.

Photoshop just does not feel right at the moment.

Please help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 16, 2021 May 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, from yesterday, when I thought all was running fairly stable apart from greyed out icons. I continue on my project work. Plugged in my external hardrive where my files are located and carried on with a simple task again of resizing an image to fit into an instagram template and again crash when once the layer is dragged over and trying to transform it. So I go into preferences again untick 'Use Graphics Processor', repeat the above procedure and on transforming the image I get a repeat like ghosting lag. I am going to wait now to see what happens from Adobe's end, before I uninstall or install the previous version, because I had everything set up and it was working great until this update. Feel deflated because I have not had a problem for years to the point of my posts now. Please get this sorted soon! thanks.

All Windows 10 and Drivers are up to date.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 19, 2021 May 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

We're sorry that the issue persists. Please try updating to the 22.4.1 version of Photoshop released today to check if that helps.

If the issue persists, you can try to reset the preferences of Photoshop using the steps mentioned here: https://adobe.ly/2Qzc0K3

Please backup your settings prior to resetting the preferences. You can check: https://adobe.ly/2vNz6FG

Regards,

Nikunj

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok, I will try this, thanks for getting back to me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 20, 2021 May 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I updated Photoshop earlier and all seems to be working fine now. However the icons in my set up are still 'greyed out' and I have reset my preferences too. How can I rectify this? its annoying working with no identification on these? Will I have to do a complete uninstall and re-install now? Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@JonGoldphone , well, that's a new one. Sometimes new drivers break things, too. I can't think of a good reason why some of those icons would be doing that; what are they? built in panels, or plugins?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 21, 2021 May 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Mark,

Here is the screen shot of examples, will I have to do a re-install of Photoshop? thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This 22.4 update is absolutely horrible. By far the worst update I've had from Adobe for PS in like YEARS. Any file I open with smart layers or text layers will take like 10 minutes to load the file. Sometimes it doesn't even load and I have to force quit the application. 

This is even happening via Mac OS, which I'm on. 

Big Sur 11.3

Adobe is REALLY slacking lately with the quality updates, or lack there-of. I really would not like to go through the trouble of downgrading to the previous version and setting it all up again with my proper brushes, etc, but this is really frustrating me. Worst release in a long time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop 22.4 has crashed on me 7 times in 20 minutes.This is the most unstable version of Photoshop I've ever used. Rolling back to previous version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 17, 2021 May 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep...having the same issue. Reverted back to 22.3.1 and it stopped crashing. I also very much disliked the new save feature where it forced you to save things as a copy if you wanted to save them as a PDF or JPG...so annoying.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, they took something easy and straightforward and made it messy and complicated for no good reason.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 16, 2021 May 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can confirm that this occurs constantly when I have 2+ files open and trying to close one of them. The crash occurs every single time. All windows/drivers updates are installed 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Got exactly the same issue. Now installed previous version - works without crashes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cant even save if is not in TIF PSD or PSB, this update works really bad...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yea...you have to "Save As Copy" to get the other file options, then you have to manually remove "copy" from the file name if you are just trying to save over an exisiting file....it's really annoying.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 18, 2021 May 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here.  I've waisted so much time, it's frustating.  I can't print or pretty much do anything and my business relies on this.  I hope it can get fixes ASAP.

how do we downgrade to the old version?  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To downgrade to the previous version (which works fine!), open up Creative Cloud, click on the three dots near Photoshop and choose other versions. Uninstall 22.4 (what a mess) and then Install 22.31.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same result, but mine seemed to be any usage of the menu - just freezes, no crashing and no crash report - 22.4 just goes unresponsive and I have to 'end task' via the Task Manager (Windows 10, fully updated, latest drivers). I rolled back to 22.3.1 and everything is fine again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We discovered an issue with 22.4 that manifested when closing documents AND using the rulers. We fixed that issue and released an update, 22.4.1; please try that version and let us know if you continue to run into problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the update! Is the new "Save as Copy" still present in 22.4.1? That new feature was slowing me down tramendosly as I save all my photoshop files as PDFs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, that feature is still present. You save all your Photoshop files as PDF? Why not PSD?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines