• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop making me save to PSB instead of PSD

Explorer ,
Jul 08, 2021 Jul 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just updated to Photoshop 2021 (22.4.2 Release). I'm trying to save as psd but photoshop says "Could not save this document because the document exceeds the 2.00G limit for file data in this format. Would you like to save it in Large File Format (.psb)?" so click ok but then I see the saved file is 157 MB

By the way, I'm not a new user and I've saved files before as PSB because they're too big to be a PSD so I understand all that.

This has got to be a bug.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 08, 2021 Jul 08, 2021

I have no personal experience with this situation. A couple of thoughts...

Corrupt file
Could you be dealing with a corrupt file? Does this happen with similar files? If you duplicate the file does it still happen? If you copy the layers to another document of the same dimensions does it still happen?

Reset Preferences
If the problem is not the file but Photoshop, a good old reset of the Preferences may help. Open up the Preferences from the Photoshop menu on a Mac or the Edit menu on Windows.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have no personal experience with this situation. A couple of thoughts...

Corrupt file
Could you be dealing with a corrupt file? Does this happen with similar files? If you duplicate the file does it still happen? If you copy the layers to another document of the same dimensions does it still happen?

Reset Preferences
If the problem is not the file but Photoshop, a good old reset of the Preferences may help. Open up the Preferences from the Photoshop menu on a Mac or the Edit menu on Windows. Within the General tab is the Reset Preferences On Quit button.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like one of the layers. A smart object vector file that was blown up 200% bigger or more by the look of it. I had to duplicate each layer individually to a new file to find that out. It was a sunburst shape. Just a flat simple one. I found a different workaround (kept the shape in a psb and embedded that onto a new psd) which is way less work than setting up my preferences all over again. Thanks for the ideas that led me to troubleshoot some more! Doesn't explain why but I got other things to do. 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah the good old corrupt sunburst shape situation huh? 😉

That's great to hear you worked out a solution. Cheers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A Layed document can contain up yo 8,000 layers if many if the layers are smart object layers with embedded file objects. It is not hard to the believe the saving all that information will; require nor the 2GB of data.  If you were saving a flat 8bit color jpeg needing more  then 100MB would make me feel the a problem.

You provided no information about the layered document  you tried to save as a PSD. Or if you changed  save preferences for PSD and PSB file.    Still 158MB is only 16% of a GB that does seem odd its nowhere near 2GB

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 16, 2021 Jul 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

17 layers in the Photoshop file, most of them smart objects of AI files. And yes, I did change the preference to saving as PSD when I wanted a PSD, and to PSB when it wouldn't give me a choice. As I explained, the most complicated of the AI files was the starburst -- 13 triangle-shaped paths that were a flat #fcb83d color over a white artboard. I made this vector smart object AI file (31 KB) an embedded file in a PSB (55.8 MB) and embedded that on what was finally what I wanted, a PSD (158.6 MB). I guess Photoshop needed 2GB worth of processing? Either way, problem solved. Thank you for your thoughts!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines