Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop Move Tool Not working

New Here ,
Mar 10, 2020 Mar 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all, 

For some reason, the move tool in photoshop is not working at all. Every time I try to move the black rectangle with the Move tool (V), it will not "drag" it anywhere around the document. Unselecting "Auto-Select" will not fix this issue. I have already reseted my prefences by clicking ctrl+alt+shift when I opened Photoshop. 

See screenshot for reference below. 

Please advise. Thank you. 

~ TeleIowa

PS Move Tool.PNG

EDIT: 

Oddly enough, after about an hour or so and restarting Photoshop and my laptop once or twice, the Move tool seems to be working now. I have no idea what I did to remedy that, because after the first time I reset the prefences, restarted photoshop and laptop, I still had the same issue. But after the second time, it seems to be doing okay. 

I'm sorry I cannot provide an answer to this, but I just wanted to give you an update. 

Thank you! 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Deleted User

Hi

What exact version of Photoshop do you have, just tested on 21.1 and 20.0.9 and the move tool works fine, what happens when you hit Ctrl + T can you move it around then

You layer icon looks unusual

2020-03-10 15_05_28-.png

This is what mine shows

2020-03-10 15_05_50-Untitled-1 @ 47.8% (Layer 1, RGB_8) _.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

What exact version of Photoshop do you have, just tested on 21.1 and 20.0.9 and the move tool works fine, what happens when you hit Ctrl + T can you move it around then

You layer icon looks unusual

2020-03-10 15_05_28-.png

This is what mine shows

2020-03-10 15_05_50-Untitled-1 @ 47.8% (Layer 1, RGB_8) _.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello. My current version is the 21.1. 

When I hit ctrl+T, I am able to move it around yes, but I would prefer to use the Move tool if possible. 

You are right about the layer icon being unsuaul. Do you know how to fix that? That may be causing the issue. 

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Alas there's a lot of issues/bugs with version 21.1, I only use it on my work PC occasionally for testing issues reported on the forum. I reverted back to 21.0.3 on my home PC where I use Photoshop a lot more, you can do this via the CC app

2020-03-10 15_20_37-Creative Cloud Desktop.png

2020-02-21 10_28_16-Creative Cloud Desktop.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 28, 2020 Jul 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

when using move tool, try to untick auto-select on the top left bar, so you move things on the layer selected

if auto-select is on, your mouse must land on the pixel of the object to move it, or it will jump to other layer, e.g. background, and nothing will be moved

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 14, 2021 Jul 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. This fixed my same bug with the move tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 16, 2022 Feb 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 11, 2023 Oct 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This one solve my problems! Thank you very much! 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 09, 2023 Nov 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the answer, thank you so much!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 06, 2020 Oct 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem with Adobe Photoshop move tool. I tried to go back one update, and even with the previous update the problem still occures. You can't drag with the move toos or duplicate using alt key and drag. Very frustarting 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 06, 2020 Oct 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 09, 2023 Nov 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@AmySykes 

Hi Amy,

Unlike the OP who had a "Layer 1", you drew the shape with the Rectangle Shape tool and your layer is "Rectangle 1", so the answer for you is not the same.

Instead, use the Path Selection tool (black arrow, keyboard shortcut "A") to move shapes.

janee_0-1699542394168.png

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/tool-techniques/path-selection-tool.html

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 26, 2020 Oct 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue but on top of not being able to move anything on the artboard I also can not move layers up or down in the layers panel. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 03, 2020 Nov 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

(cursing removed) Adobe?? Every single update introduces a new glitch. I can only move using arrow keys! This is insane. They are taking basic functions that have been as is for decades and messing them up. I mean they know we are professionals, right? I do this for my job not for fun. I am seriously searching for  new software....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 05, 2020 Nov 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

same problem here

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 15, 2023 Mar 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the same problem I'm having its annoying

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 24, 2021 Feb 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Im on 22.2 and the same problem....crist sake, you pay a lot to have this stupid bug
Adobe is SO great....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 11, 2021 Aug 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guy. Did you use Illustrator at the same time of Photoshop. I had the same bug here and i try close all adobe apps and open only photoshop and it works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 29, 2021 Nov 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, this worked for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 25, 2022 Feb 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I have the issue you're having, it's because I bumped a key. Either something gets selected from W or I hit the Q shortcut and I'm in quick mask mode (but the layer doesn't highlight showing this). I either somehow selected a pixel somewhere or I got stuck in quickmask (but the layer may not have highlighted reflecting this).

In my case, I continually hit Q to free transform or deselect or something. I could have sworn Q used to be something else other than Quick Mask (Q) but I think I've just been using Flash and Animate for too many years now, that I hit Q to free transform.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 17, 2022 Jun 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. I think I have came accross the solution for this bug. Choose the layer you need to move and turn on "lock position" option and turn it off. There you have it. Hope it helped.

Capture.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines