Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop not responding when opening large files

Explorer ,
Jun 08, 2021 Jun 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

for some time now everytime I try to open a large file photoshop stop respoding and I am getting the spinning wheel.

Does anyone noticed this problem?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

We're sorry about the experience due to Photoshop freezing while opening large documents. Would you mind telling us which version of Photoshop are you using along with your computers operating system?

You can try disabling the option to Use Graphics Processor from Photoshop by going to Preferences, then Performance. Once done, quit & relaunch Photoshop to check if that helps.

If the issue persists, you can try to reset the preferences of Photoshop using the steps mentioned here: https://adobe.ly/2Qzc0K3

Please backup your settings prior to resetting the preferences. You can check: https://adobe.ly/2vNz6FG

Let us know how it goes!

Regards,

Nikunj

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi there!

my photoshop is the latest versio (22.4.2)

and I am using an imac Pro with mac OS 11.4

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 09, 2021 Jun 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the info! Please check if Photoshop has the necessary permissions using the steps suggested below:

1. Go to the System Preferences for your Mac, then Security and Privacy, then select the Privacy tab.

2. Then select Accessibility from the list to the left & check if Photoshop is added to the list with a check mark in front of it.

3. If Photoshop is not a part of the list, please add it by unlocking the window first using the lock at the bottom left, then clicking the + icon & navigating to the Applications folder.

4. Also, grant permissions to Photoshop under Full disk access located in the same list as Accessibility.

5. Once done, restart the Mac & check if it helps.

Let us know if it helps!

Regards,

Nikunj

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm experiencing something similar just since update 22.4.1. Update 22.4.1 did not solve the problem. My large TIF files eventually open, but it can take 20 minutes. I am using a desktop with Windows 10.0.19041.928.

I have tried all the options recommended (with and without graphics processor and removing preferences as well as a number of other things).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Annie Hi.

exactly the same thing!

TIF files not opening! I also tried all the options mentioned but the problem remains!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Georget,

I just timed opening a 361MB TIF file: 26 minutes and 55 sec.

I seem to have other issues as well. (I can't save to a JPG because of a memory error. I can save to all other formats, however.)

I have 16GB of system memory and 6GB on my graphics card. My system meets all the PS requirements.

I've also tried uninstalling and reinstalling PS, changing to different scratch drives, testing memory, testing &  optimizing drives (even though they didnt seem to need it)-spent the last three days troubleshooting...

Thanks to Nikunj for trying. Any other ideas?

Annie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oops, I meant 22.4.2 did not solve the problems

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

We're sorry that you are also experiencing issues while trying to open large documents in Photoshop. Since the suggested steps didn't help, please try launching Photoshop as administrator by right clicking on the Photoshop icon & selecting the option to Run as administrator. Then open the files & check if it still takes the same amount of time.

Also, please let us know if the files saved on an external drive or on your computers local storage?

Regards,

Nikunj

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hey!

as you can see from the attached screenshot, I don't have this option by right clicking...

and to tell you the truth what is the point of all these  suggestions???

Adobe has to figure out what's went wront with all these damn updates!!!

so I am not resetting - i am not configuring - I am not messing up with my Mac!

Adobe should give us the answer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

GeorgeT - Wish I knew how to "run as administrator" on a Mac. On my PC I had to access the program from a different way than I normally do to see the option. I don't know if you have other ways to get to Photoshop on a Mac.

-Annie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Annie Hi,

unfortunatelly I don't know any other way of doing that kind of thing on a Mac,

and as I wrote previously we don't have to do anything in my humble opinion.

Adobe should figure out what cause the problem and solve it. Period.

-George

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Nikunj.

Running as administrator did solve the file loading issue. (thank you!) Files still save more slowly and I can't save ANY size JPG without the memory error (I can save to other formats like TIFF, GIF, PNG just no JPG).

I am saving to an internal drive with lots of space. I also tried saving to an internal SSD drive but get the same result. I have 16 GB system memory, 6 GB memory on my graphics card and have PS set to use 85%.

Next I may try using the image processing script to convert...

Many thanks for your help with this!

-Annie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 28, 2021 Jun 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cannot open any files in PS 22.4.2 had to revert back to PS 22.3.1 and everything works OK. 

MAC OS 10.14.6.  MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2018).

2.9 GHz Intel Core i

32 GB 2400 MHz DDR4

Radeon Pro Vega 20 4 GB

don't tell us to disable graphics card that is ridiculous solution. Fix the code! earlier versions work.. it is adobe code!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 29, 2021 Jun 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's what I ended up doing. Going back to an earlier version in order to get my work done.

I have a Intel Windows machine but it seems the issues are similar.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 29, 2021 Jun 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

and I am running as Administrator and trierd the other suggestions and does not solve issues

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines