• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop Save As TGA gone?

Community Beginner ,
Apr 28, 2020 Apr 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can no longer save as Targa (.TGA) in Photoshop since update.

Is this gone? If so, why???

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 14, 2021 May 14, 2021

There is a change in v 22.4 which moved file formats that do not support the layers or bit depth in your document to Save As Copy, to prevent layers being inadvertently lost.

Tga is still available.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is still there in the latest version (v21.1.2) and will appear if your image is 8 bit RGB

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 13, 2021 May 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is incorrect, because I cannot save in TGA and I know for sure I am RGB/8 bit. I am only given three options: PSD, PSB and TIF.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 14, 2021 May 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a change in v 22.4 which moved file formats that do not support the layers or bit depth in your document to Save As Copy, to prevent layers being inadvertently lost.

Tga is still available.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 02, 2023 Jul 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

thaaaaaaaanks! you saved me!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right, the highest bit-depth per component TGA supports is 8-bit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 13, 2021 May 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Targa is still an option, however, adobe added a new wrinkle into the saving process with 22.4 by

introducing an actual File>Save As Copy menu item.

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/whats-new.html

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/whats-new/2021-4.html

What that means is if your document doesn't meet the exact parameters for saving, which in your case

is a flattened 8 bits/channel document, you now need to press Save a Copy or exit the save as dialog

and fix your document to meet those parameters.

Screenshot-(83).jpgScreenshot-(84).jpgScreenshot-(85).jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 18, 2021 May 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But why change it though? I'm puzzled about this one. It's functioned this way for years and only now does someone want to mess with it for seemingly no reason other than to change things. I don't know what kind of edge case cropped up that prompted this change but it worked just fine 99% of the time otherwise without needing a whole new menu. It's a minor change, sure, but an annoying one nonetheless.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 18, 2021 May 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>>>But why change it though?

See detailed explanation here:

https://petapixel.com/2021/05/18/photoshops-save-as-function-has-changed-on-mac-heres-why/

TL;DR

Apple changed its operating system (removed the API that Adobe used for Save As). So Adobe's solution was to make a new menu item (Save a Copy) in order to circumvent it.

Allthough the change was driven by Apple's OS, Adobe has implemented the change on both Mac and Windows, presumably for consistency between platforms.

Petapixel notes: "Unfortunately, the change appears to be something Adobe chose to do since Apple’s developer notes are not nearly as public-facing as Adobe applications that are used by millions of people."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 30, 2021 Nov 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found a very quick fix to the problem! In the latest version of photoshop, goto Edit > Prefrences > Tools, and choose File Handling. Screenshot 2021-11-30 172628.pngScreenshot 2021-11-30 172851.pngScreenshot 2021-11-30 172700.pngScreenshot 2021-11-30 172935.png Under FIle Saving Options, Check the box labeled Enable legacy "Save As".

Screenshot 2021-11-30 172956.png

Click ok than try saving as or just doing save, you should see all the file types that were missing have reappeared in the save menu! I hope this helped!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 31, 2022 Oct 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also using RGB and 8bit and do not have the option anymore. 
I also do not have an option to save to legacy format.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 31, 2022 Oct 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nicholas,

What version of photoshop and operating system are you using?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines