• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop Spying for Google - seriously?

Community Beginner ,
Jun 16, 2021 Jun 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK This is what's happening to me. I open a file, named Butterfly in Photoshop & work editing it into another image for several hours. I talk to noone, I don't message anyone, YET when I log onto a web browser, immediately the first AD I am shown, is a t-shirt company selling, you guessed it, Butterflies. The exact color and species I was editing.    ... Today, I edited a squirrel into a portrait using Photoshop version 2020, and you guessed it, AGAIN the frist AD shown to me was a t-shirt with a climbing squirrel. 

I want to know HOW DO I TURN THIS OFF? I find it creepy that Photoshop is somehow communicating my file names, my photo subjects to Google / Facebook Advertising. Its just creepy. Anyone else experienced this?     Am I just super paranoise, because it just seems a little too much. I open up many photoshop files per day, all with subject matter named, possibly with met-data embeded in the images or just simple file names and it keeps on happening.    I would like to disable this.   Thoughts? Thx! 

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

excuse my TYPOS above, There is no edit post feature!   

"OK This is what's happening to me. I open a file, named Butterfly in Photoshop & work editing it into another image for several hours. I talk to noone, I don't message anyone, YET when I log onto a web browser, immediately the first AD I am shown, is a t-shirt company selling, you guessed it, Butterflies. The exact color and species I was editing.    ... Today, I edited a squirrel into a portrait using Photoshop version 2020, and you guessed it, AGAIN the frist AD shown to me was a t-shirt with a climbing squirrel. 

I want to know HOW DO I TURN THIS OFF? I find it creepy that Photoshop is somehow communicating my file names, my photo subjects to Google / Facebook Advertising. Its just creepy. Anyone else experienced this?     Am I just super paranoid, because it just seems a little too much. I open up many photoshop files per day, all with subject matter named, possibly with meta-data embedded in the images or just simple file names and it keeps on happening.    I would like to disable this.   Thoughts? Thx! "

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where did you get the original butterfly and squirrel files? Online?

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Clever, Dave 😉

But yeah, I've asked myself the same question on several occasions. Some of them are no doubt coincidences - all the times when there's no connection you don't think about it and just move on. But still...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One of the original files was photographed by me and just sitting on my local drive, named "butterfly.psd " the other was a stock photo of a squirrel, downloaded at least 3 years ago and again, sitting on my local hard drive that I had renamed squirrel.psd.  . Neither were recent dpwnload or uploads, so this is why I am suddenly convinced Adobe is setting data to Google on some level. 

Its not the first time I've been editing with unusual image elements dropped Into portraits that later popped up. I only noticed because the butterfly and squirrel were exact same species as the images I had been editing... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't say I've noticed anything like that after using local files

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@alixfairy Heh, it's probably a coincidence but things like this have happened to me. I was visiting someone for a weekend and we were talking about a shampoo brand they use that I had never heard of. All of a sudden when I got home, I started seeing ads for that product. Crazy! I guess it was because I was sharing their WiFi? Who knows how this works. It's akin to mind reading, I think. Meanwhile, you may want to check out the options listed on this privacy page to see if you've opted out of certain collection: Adobe Privacy Center

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines