• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop won't activate window on launch?

Engaged ,
May 31, 2021 May 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have posted this problem before several weeks ago, but never got a response.

2019 Mac Pro 12-Core, 96GB RAM, Catalina 10.15.7

This issue is driving me nuts!

Every time I double click any file from the Finder to open it in Photoshop, the image opens and Photoshop shows to be active in the upper left menu bar (and dock), but the system does not recognize that it is active? If I start entering any Photoshop keyboard shortcut it is ignored. The only way I can get it to start working is by clicking on the opened image window first? It is like the OS is in limbo - neither the Finder or Photoshop seems to be active?

If I open Photoshop and select OPEN from the File menu everything works prefectly as soon as the image chosen appears.

If I have several images open in Photoshop and then go back to the Finder or any other active app as soon as I click on the Photoshop Icon either with Command-Tab or from the Dock, the Photoshop name appears as the active application in the upper left menu bar, but again Photoshop is not actually active until I first click on an open image. Very strange.

Other Adobe apps like Illustrator and InDesign - no problem - just Photoshop?

Any ideas?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Engaged , May 31, 2021 May 31, 2021

I finally found the culprit!

I decided to take off the day to try and diagnose the souce of this issue.

Since Photoshop was the only app in the Suite I was expeeriencing this with, I started by making the assumption that it probably was something specific to that one application. I started by deleting the Photoshop settings file on app launch. Immediately everything seemed to be working fine again, but I noticed that the NIK by DxO "pallette" was missing (I usually had that activated by default

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi johnd,

which version of Adobe Photoshop are you using? Have you tried a new installation of the software? Use Creative Cloud Cleaner tool to uninstall Photoshop and remove any corrupted files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I finally found the culprit!

I decided to take off the day to try and diagnose the souce of this issue.

Since Photoshop was the only app in the Suite I was expeeriencing this with, I started by making the assumption that it probably was something specific to that one application. I started by deleting the Photoshop settings file on app launch. Immediately everything seemed to be working fine again, but I noticed that the NIK by DxO "pallette" was missing (I usually had that activated by default in my workspace). That palette has been a pain ever since I upgraded to NIK v3 last November - it always stayed on screen even when I would hit the tab key to hide ALL palettes. It also would not dck with any other palettes and was always in the way.

I then quit Photoshop and relaunched. This time the NIK palette reappeared? The problems also returned! I then thought back and put together that November last year was about the time I noticed the issues I defined in the original post. So I found a flyout in the NIK Palette that allowed me to uncheck lauching the palette on Photoshop launch (not sure if it even exists anymore as I can find no place to turn it back on)?

I then quit Photoshop and downloaded the NIK v3 installer again from their website and reinstalled the plugins. Now I no longer see the NIK pallette (plugins have always been available from the Filter Menu without the need from the palette). So the problem appears to be with the NIK Plugins "Palette"! Everything is working great now!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines