Photoshop won't allow me to edit a text layer

New Here ,
Nov 12, 2019 Nov 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I select a text layer, select the text tool and click on the text, it does not allow me to edit that text. Instead it creates a new text layer. ??????

TOPICS
Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you able to double click the text layer and then move your arrow key to move the cursor?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Double-clicking the actual text object (is that what you are asking) has no effect. If I select the layer in the layers palette, and then select the text tool, I click on the text and it creates a new text layer. The layers are not locked, so I do not know what is going on. Been a PS user since CS3, and this has never happened before.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was referring to double clicking the text layer (specifically the thumbnail) in the layer's palette.

I'm not sure why clicking the text in the canvas is creating a new layer instead of selecting the current text.  That would probably require a remote session to disect the issue.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you move your Type tool, look closely at the cursor. If there are dotted lines around it, that indicates that you are about to create a new text layer when you click. If there are no dotted lines, you are about to click inside existing text. It you want to edit text, either click in the middle — don’t get too close to the edge — or use the layers panel and double-click the T in the thumbnail area.

If it still doesn’t work, reset preferences.

~ Jane

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 24, 2021 Jun 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Check if your text layer is still a a "text layer". It happened to me recently that I trasnformed it by accident and spend like 20 minutos figuring out. lol

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines