• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Placed AI objects won't open from Photoshop.

Participant ,
Jul 16, 2021 Jul 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Recently I am having issues with placed Illustrator files in Photoshop. When I go to edit them (double-click) I get an error message:
"To edit this item, please install Illustrator on your computer. If you were trying to place the item, you can do so by dragging it into an open document."
I have Illustrator installed and have never had an issue with it opening placed files. 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make sure AI is the default application on you system the vector files  in File explorer of finder try to  open a svg or ai  file does AI start up.  If you  uninstall a version of Photoshop or AI  Adobe may have reset file extension associations.

They do not open in AI on my maching for I doe not install AI they open in other applications like SVG will be display by Chrome or open in Notpad++ or InkScape. Depends on what .SVG is asspcoiated with.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Vector files are assigned to AI. I can open an ai or svg from my Desktop no problem. Seems to be more of a Photoshop issue not recognizing that AI is installed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On windows what ever application I associate  the extensions .SVG and .AI with opens the smart object work file.  I believe Photoshop just has the OS open the file.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 01, 2021 Aug 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I am having the same problem. When I try and edit the placed AI file in photoshop I get the same message even though I have AI installed and even open.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines