• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Polygonal lasso tool has become unreliable.

New Here ,
Jul 07, 2021 Jul 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the bast day, the polygonal lasso tool has become almost unusable. It often lags between points and then refused to close off. As I rely on it for almost everything I do it has become a majot nuisance. It did this briefly about a year ago on another computer but this is the first time it's done it on this one. The only thing that fixes it is to restart PhotoShop, but I cannot keep doing this every 5 minutes. Can anyone help me with this? I am running CS6 on Windows 10. Graphics acceleration is unchecked.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jul 07, 2021 Jul 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What have you done for all-purpose trouble-shooting so far? 

Restoring Preferences after making sure all customized presets like Actions, Patterns, Brushes etc. have been saved might be a good starting point:

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preferences.html

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/basic-trouble-shooting-steps.html

What have you done about Photoshop performance? 

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/optimize-photoshop-cc-performance.html

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/scratch-disks-preferences.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 08, 2021 Jul 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for replying. I have reset all the tools a few times and I have checked 'use graphics processor', changed the drawing mode to 'basic' and I even resinstalled PhotoShop. Nothing helps. The polygonal lasso tool works as it should for about half an hour after opening PhotoShop and then starts breaking as described again. However, it will close off properly if I hit enter instead of double-clicking the mouse though it is still slow. 

I seem to recall it did this on my other laptop about a year ago and fixed itself (somehow) after a week or so. I'm hoping the same happens here because I can't seem to do anything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 08, 2021 Jul 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the issue persists you may want to consider using the Pen Tool instead of the Polygonal Lasso Tool. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 09, 2021 Jul 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use the polygonal lasso tool to delete the bloomed edges off of traditional artwork. Can the pen tool do this? I tried but could not see how.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It can do better – it can be used to create Vector Masks. 

And if the Masks need to have uneven sharpness then one can always use »Make Selection« to create a Selection from the Path and edit that, respectively the Layer Mask, accordingly. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I basically use the lasso tool to highlight an area and then delete it. Mainly for straight or angled lines. I use the eraser for everything else.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are clipping objects/persons/… why are you not using Layer Masks? 

Your apporach seems needlessly destructive. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use the eraser to get rid of any area around the character or object, if I want it to be transparent and smooth edged. The lasso tool helps a lot with straight edged objects like comic panels or square-type shapes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Again: Your workflow is destructive. 

In my opinion you should rethink it to avoid unnecessarily damaging your image content – Layer Masks, Vector Masks, Adjustment Layers, Smart Objects – are you using any of those at current? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No none of those, sorry. The only thing I want to destroy really is stuff I'm deleting because I don't need it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

However is does sound like layer maks could be useful for some other things so thanks for that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I for one occassionally make mistakes … if I notice them later on I like being able to correct them. 

Therefore erasing and deleting are pretty much non-starters when editing images (though there are some exceptions). 

As you mentioned comic panels: If you create comic pages in Photoshop I want to again recommend using Vector Masks. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the tips. I'm going to look into a few of these. I tend to save a few versions of stuff just to make sure there are no mistakes. The comic panel lines I have no problem with for digitally frames ones, it's only the traditional ones where I just want to get rid of little bits of dust on the paper or erase wee notes etc. I'll get by one way or another!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you can achieve what you want/need to achieve then your technique is definitely not wrong, it might just be possible that there are more convenient or efficient approaches.

Of course learning about them is in itself work and whether it would be worth the effort is for you to judge. 

Would you mind posting a screenshot including the Layers Panel of one of your edited files, just to get a general idea  of your work?  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines