• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Program error while using Object Selection tool in Photoshop 22.4.2 on Windows 10

Community Beginner ,
Jun 11, 2021 Jun 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been trying to remove a line in a photo but when I try to make the selection using the Object Selection tool, I get the message "Could not complete your request because of a program error."  PS then locks up for about 20 seconds.

Earlier today, it worked with the same photo but I decided to remove the change and start over because the selection wasn't long enough.  Once I did that, I've had this issue. 

So far, I've tried:

1. Using a different copy of the photo

2. Uninstalling PS and reverting to the previous version.  I'm now on 2.4.1 on a Windows 10 PC.

Neither has worked. 

Any ideas on what's going on?

Thanks,

Mark

{Thread title edited by moderator}

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jun 11, 2021 Jun 11, 2021

Hi,

We're sorry about the trouble with Photoshop 22.4.2 due to the Program error. Have you tried using a different image instead of another copy of the same file to check if you experience the same issue?

You can try the steps suggested here: https://adobe.ly/2JZDqZB

If the issue persists, please roll back to Photoshop version 22.3.1 or earlier using the steps suggested here: https://adobe.ly/2wH0JjE

Please uninstall the latest version of Photoshop first & select the option to Keep Preferenc

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

We're sorry about the trouble with Photoshop 22.4.2 due to the Program error. Have you tried using a different image instead of another copy of the same file to check if you experience the same issue?

You can try the steps suggested here: https://adobe.ly/2JZDqZB

If the issue persists, please roll back to Photoshop version 22.3.1 or earlier using the steps suggested here: https://adobe.ly/2wH0JjE

Please uninstall the latest version of Photoshop first & select the option to Keep Preferences prior to installing the previous version.

Let us know how it goes!

Regards,

Nikunj

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Nikunj,

Thanks very much for the tips.  I'd already tried other photos so I went ahead and rolled back to 22.3.1 and it worked!

Any idea when I'll able to update Adobe again?

Regards,

Mark

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 14, 2021 Jun 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the info Mark! Our product team has been able to fix most of the issues that cause the Program error in Photoshop but they are still working on a couple which are left. We currently do not have an offiicial timeline on them.

Regards,

Nikunj

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 14, 2021 Jun 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks.  I'll wait a few months before updating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 14, 2022 Mar 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there, is there any update on this? I'm having the same issue. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 28, 2022 Jun 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found I was able to update my graphics display adapter to the newest version and that solved the problem in v23.

I'm keeping v22 active as well because I like the camera shake correction filter. (Motion Blur).

I still have an issue with current camera raw not being able to select sky "cannot load AI Model"

Windows kept telling me my driver was up to date because it only looked on my PC but I found out how to get it to check online and it was quick and easy.

Good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 23, 2022 Jun 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having same issue - works in v22 but not v23

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi, did you get this sorted? i dont know how far to go back with the versions, this is disgraceful! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since then I also upgraded my PC so that may have helped as well.  Not sure what fixed it in the end. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 22, 2022 Sep 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried all of the above.  The problem is with 23.4 and newer.  Quick selection and magic wand both work.  The message reads "couldn't find an object to select.  there might not be enough edge contrast or the object may be too small."  As noted, it works perfectly on anything before 23.4 so the problem is someplace in your system.  Interestingly, if one clicks "edit," it gives the option to undo object selection despite there being no object selected (neither with the rectangle, the lasso nor will the blue cover show up).  Help.  This is a big problem for me in my work.  Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 17, 2023 Jul 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This program error is giving me endless grief as the object selection tool is an important part of my workflow. Can adobe please give an indication when it will be fixed. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines