• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Freezing, cursor stuck when scrolling/flick panning

Participant ,
May 04, 2020 May 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, over the years we've generally found Photoshop to be one of the most stable of all apps we use. But lately, it's been freezing a lot when doing relatively simple editing. We've updated to the very latest version (21.1.2) on a late 2013 Mac Pro with 24GB RAM. 

What seems to be causing the freeze is just scrolling around a zoomed-in image when using the spot healing brush tool on grayscale TIF images that aren't overly huge or complex. But this may just be coincidence since it's a pretty common task. But using the space-bar scroll will just suddenly freeze and the image becomes completely unresponsive. Fortunately, I am typically still able to access menus, including 'File/Save'! Sometimes I'm able to just save & re-open the file to get it to work again, other times I must restart PS.

- Is this common? 

- Anything we can try to resolove (if clearing prefs, any specific - as they seem to be pretty widespread and in multiple places)?

Seems like this has only recently started happening, so not sure if one of the recent updates has caused this. We've never experienced this kind of thing with PS over the years.

Thanks! 

Bug Acknowledged
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Apr 04, 2022 Apr 04, 2022

Go to Preferences > Tools... and uncheck "Enable Flick Panning" and "Animated Zoom". Restart Photoshop. Does the problem go away?

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 147 Replies 147
147 Comments
New Here ,
Oct 11, 2020 Oct 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My son is learning Photoshop and using my app, and he said he hit a command and suddenly it switched to a mode where I can take the cursor and move my graphice around, but I cannot click on anything at all, not even the tabs at the top. He didn't save his work yet so I'm afraid to force quit. Have you found anything that might help so he can save his work at least? He was also zoomed in and just cleaning up some lines with a paintbrush tool. I cannot select anything at all other than the image and I can't do anythign with it. I can't even zoom in or out. Help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Oct 23, 2020 Oct 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Uncheck Enable Flick Panning

Screen Shot 2020-10-23 at 2.16.53 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 03, 2020 Nov 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you manage to resolve the issue without having to turn off "Use Graphics Processor"? Im having this exact same issue and im using Windows 10 and use the Cintiq Pro 24".. 

I tried re-installing an older to an older version of photoshop, and it still experiences the same issue... wondering if this is a Windows/PC issue or a Photoshop software issue... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Nov 03, 2020 Nov 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had a similar problem with mine since the last update whereas it just *poof* disappears, even though I've never hit the caps button. Even if I did and I hit the caps to reveal, nothing happens. Therefore I'm forced to restart Photoshop in order to see my brush cursor again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Nov 06, 2020 Nov 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I still experience this issue in Photoshop 22.0.0 realese. It doesn't happen so often tho. I have a temporary and quick solution for that. When the cursor stops working properly, go to Window > Arrange > New Window for... <the name of the document you're working on>

It opens the same document in a new tab, so you can close the "broken one" and the cursor will work in the new one. It saves more time that to save the document, close it and reopen.

Hope that makes sense.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Nov 06, 2020 Nov 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a temporary and quick solution for that. When the cursor stops working properly, go to Window > Arrange > New Window for... <the name of the document you're working on>

It opens the same document in a new tab, so you can close the "broken one" and the cursor will work in the new one. It saves more time that to save the document, close it and reopen.

Hope that makes sense.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Nov 07, 2020 Nov 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have had this issue now on both my work computer a MAC and Windows 10 at home. After reading the information below it doesn't seem that there is a fix for this yet. Please let me know if there is a fix soon it is really disrupting my work flow.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Nov 07, 2020 Nov 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, this happens all over Photoshop, whether I open a new window or even close out everything to show the home screen. When I say it's invisible, I mean it's.... invisible on every area on Photoshop: drop down menus (File, Edit, Layers, etc), home screen, you name it, it's not there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 14, 2020 Nov 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been using photoshop since it birth around the Late 1980's and have never had such a pain in the arse issue 

i am at my wits end with this freezing i have several Macs and all are the same with this latest version...after all these years

holding this program in high regard i'm looking to cahngs to alternative software and demanding my money back this is costing me time and MONEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Nov 15, 2020 Nov 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks this worked for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 15, 2020 Nov 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same same. What seems to be happening with me is that the program continues to function to an extent but the display doesn't update so I can't see what I'm doing. If I switch layers the display continues to show the last active layer before it froze, but the navigator pane shows the actual current layer as I toggle through them. And as with everybody else, I have to save the file, close and restart the program to get it working. Hasn't caused me to lose any work yet, but it happens regularly and it's very frustrating because it disrupts flow and focus.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Dec 06, 2020 Dec 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It happens to me all the time, I will be zoomed in, and I will use the spacebar to scroll and Photoshop will freeze on me. Luckily it allows me to save, and I have to close and restart. Does anyone know when this will get fixed? It is uber annoying. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Dec 06, 2020 Dec 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Uncheck Enable Flick Panning

[image: Screen Shot 2020-10-23 at 2.16.53 PM.png]

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 14, 2020 Dec 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been having this problem after getting a new laptop from work. Guys, see if it is the 2 GPU confusion issue for photoshop. I resolved the problem by following the steps here: https://helpx.adobe.com/ie/photoshop/kb/troubleshoot-gpu-graphics-card.html#GPUandgraphicsdrivertrou... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Feb 08, 2021 Feb 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem on a xp-pen deco pro. I can cheat by saving to a PSD and restarting the program.

On Windows Photoshop 22.1.1, nvidia rtx 2060.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 02, 2021 Mar 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This solution lowered the frequency of this problem dramtically for me. However, it is still happening with some frequency. Specifically when I am flick panning. The level of zoom does not appear to have any effect on the frequency of this bug. Is there a way for me to fix this entirely? Is this a hardware issue? I've exhaustively tried to recreate the same problem with the mouse and had zero results. I have been able to recreate the bug on a Wacom Intuos Pro (Medium, 2016). All programs and drivers up to date as of this posting. Any assitance on this would be much appreciated.

Windows 10, version 20H2

Photohsop 2021 Version 22.2

Wacom Intuos Pro (Large, 2020)

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 09, 2021 Mar 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Add me to the list of frustrated users. I disabled flick panning for now. Adobe- please fix this bug so we can use flick panning again.

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 15, 2021 Mar 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Go to edit > preferences > performance

Click then the square "Use graphic processor" to turn it off.

It worked for me, hope this helps 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 16, 2021 Mar 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop goes way too slow with "Use graphic processor" so that really isn't the solution. Turning off, "Enable Flick Panning" is a better option but I really miss the abailty to pan quickly around an image when I'm zoomed in tight.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 16, 2021 Mar 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I meant to say, Photoshop goes way too slow without "Use graphic processor".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Mar 21, 2021 Mar 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there, I'm experiencing the same issue and nd68901851's solution didn't work for me. I wanted to reply here just in case anyone found another fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, did you manage to find a fix?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I have not. I've tried every update since posting here .. well every update since 2019. It continues to be a problem. Turning flick panning off works if you don't care about that, but I find it annoying and slower to work with - so much so that I've continued to stick with the 2019 version which doesn't have this bug.

Best of luck and please report back if you find anything!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Mar 22, 2021 Mar 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for the late reply but i did not found any solution. 

Hi, did you manage to find a fix?

By @benji.wtw

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 30, 2021 Mar 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sarah,

I have been using CC 2020 for almost a year.  I never had scrolling issues, until today.
The video link that you posted saved the day.

Thanks.

-Phil-

Votes

Translate

Translate