PS CC 2020 Freezing when Scrolling

Explorer ,
May 04, 2020 May 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, over the years we've generally found Photoshop to be one of the most stable of all apps we use. But lately, it's been freezing a lot when doing relatively simple editing. We've updated to the very latest version (21.1.2) on a late 2013 Mac Pro with 24GB RAM. 

What seems to be causing the freeze is just scrolling around a zoomed-in image when using the spot healing brush tool on grayscale TIF images that aren't overly huge or complex. But this may just be coincidence since it's a pretty common task. But using the space-bar scroll will just suddenly freeze and the image becomes completely unresponsive. Fortunately, I am typically still able to access menus, including 'File/Save'! Sometimes I'm able to just save & re-open the file to get it to work again, other times I must restart PS.

- Is this common? 

- Anything we can try to resolove (if clearing prefs, any specific - as they seem to be pretty widespread and in multiple places)?

Seems like this has only recently started happening, so not sure if one of the recent updates has caused this. We've never experienced this kind of thing with PS over the years.

Thanks! 

TOPICS
Crash or freeze, Mac, Performance, Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 06, 2020 May 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Argh, just happened again. I was once again zoomed-in a bit on an image and in the process of scrolling (space-bar drag) the image when it just froze. It seems like it is just the image window that is freezing. I can switch tools, turn layers on/off, etc. Even zooming using Navigator 'appears' to work, it's just that the image display does not change at all. I have to Save & Close the image, then re-open to get through it.

- Any ideas? This is starting to happen fairly freqently.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 09, 2020 May 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, I also have a problem with freezing. Good that I'm not alone with it, bad that there doesn't seem to be a real solution for weeks unless you go back a few versions (PS2019). So it's more the program itself than the operating system. I have also worked with competing products (Pix... & Aff...) and both of them are not frozen. But no agency standard yet.

Here are my reports on it from an "f...." expensive Mac Pro from work. On a clean install... just to make sure 🙂

https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/photoshop-21-1-2-freezing-on-catalina-10-15-4...

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop/photoshop-21-1-2-freezing-on-catalina-10-15-4-system-freezi...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 19, 2020 May 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also have this problem and have done for a couple of months. I have read multiple feeds of others with the same problem regardless of the layout they are working on. What is Adobe doing to rectify this???

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 11, 2020 Aug 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll add myself to the list of users experiencing this problem when working on large multi layer files. the only saving grace is that I am able to save the file upon freeze close it and reopen it. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 03, 2020 Sep 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here. Really disruptive to work flow. I use PS more for painting than editing so i frequently zoom in and move the viewing area around. i can't quite place what exactly causes it but generally it comes when i do a series of quick movements/inputs. Was never a problem in legacy versions. Hope theres a fix or if i'm missing something please let me know.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 14, 2020 Sep 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is also happening to me on a Windows 10 machine. Scrolling a zoomed image with either keyboard (space bar) and mouse or a pen and Tablet. I am abe to save the file and reopen, but this is now happening more frequently and is becomming very disruptive.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 18, 2020 Sep 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Add me to the list of people experiencing this! Still no fix??

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 20, 2020 Sep 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I still have this problem, the cursor is super slow, can't work with this.

Is adobe doing anything about this?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 20, 2020 Sep 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've also been experiencing this issue as well, my only solution was to roll back the photoshop to before the 21.1 update and I haven't had issues since. Adobe really needs to fix this issue. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 23, 2020 Sep 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SOLUTION!! 

PixImperfect the photoshop god uploaded a video today on how to fix this, its just a simple click of the button!

Please make sure to give him some love for his help. This fixed the issue for me, thank goodness he figured it out because clearly, Adobe wasn't giving us answers. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNQMsF9hgdM&ab_channel=PiXimperfect 

EDIT: JUST KIDDING, STILL FREEZING, JUMPED THE GUN BECAUSE I WAS EXCITED ugh

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 30, 2021 Mar 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sarah,

I have been using CC 2020 for almost a year.  I never had scrolling issues, until today.
The video link that you posted saved the day.

Thanks.

-Phil-

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 23, 2020 Sep 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

same here on Windows 10 64bit, AMD ryzen 3900x, RTX2060

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 24, 2020 Sep 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can also add me to the list, this has been very annoying. Always gotta save my work, close the document and reopen to fix it.

Happened to me yesterday 5 times in the matter of an hour.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 24, 2020 Sep 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem, reported this many many times but still no fix. Just simple scrolling and panning with spacebar and wacom pen causes freeze on working window. 
ADOBE SUPPORT !! WHERE ARE YOU ??
tired of being used as a beta tester while paying for this

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Windows10Home64-bit/IntelCorei7-4810MQ CPU@2.80GHz/16GBRAM/NvidiaGeForceGTX880M

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 26, 2020 Sep 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has been happening to me as well, would really like a fix to this. A lot of times I'll save, reopen the document and it immediately freezes again as I'm zooming back in on the spot I was working on.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 11, 2020 Oct 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This started happening to me yesterday, and happened twice today. Suddenly I can no longer scroll around - either using the hand tool or the scroll bars. Luckily can still save. Need to exit PS and restart to give temporary fix. I am running Win10 64 bit, AMD Ryzen processor. 

Really hoping for a fast fix as very disruptive. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 11, 2020 Oct 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My son is learning Photoshop and using my app, and he said he hit a command and suddenly it switched to a mode where I can take the cursor and move my graphice around, but I cannot click on anything at all, not even the tabs at the top. He didn't save his work yet so I'm afraid to force quit. Have you found anything that might help so he can save his work at least? He was also zoomed in and just cleaning up some lines with a paintbrush tool. I cannot select anything at all other than the image and I can't do anythign with it. I can't even zoom in or out. Help!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 23, 2020 Oct 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Uncheck Enable Flick Panning

Screen Shot 2020-10-23 at 2.16.53 PM.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 15, 2020 Nov 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks this worked for me.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 14, 2020 Nov 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been using photoshop since it birth around the Late 1980's and have never had such a pain in the arse issue 

i am at my wits end with this freezing i have several Macs and all are the same with this latest version...after all these years

holding this program in high regard i'm looking to cahngs to alternative software and demanding my money back this is costing me time and MONEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 15, 2020 Nov 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same same. What seems to be happening with me is that the program continues to function to an extent but the display doesn't update so I can't see what I'm doing. If I switch layers the display continues to show the last active layer before it froze, but the navigator pane shows the actual current layer as I toggle through them. And as with everybody else, I have to save the file, close and restart the program to get it working. Hasn't caused me to lose any work yet, but it happens regularly and it's very frustrating because it disrupts flow and focus.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 06, 2020 Dec 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It happens to me all the time, I will be zoomed in, and I will use the spacebar to scroll and Photoshop will freeze on me. Luckily it allows me to save, and I have to close and restart. Does anyone know when this will get fixed? It is uber annoying. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 06, 2020 Dec 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Uncheck Enable Flick Panning

[image: Screen Shot 2020-10-23 at 2.16.53 PM.png]

*JONATHAN URBAN*

Senior Photographer

*L*ACM*A*

T: 323 932 5807

E: jurban@lacma.org

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 09, 2021 Mar 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Add me to the list of frustrated users. I disabled flick panning for now. Adobe- please fix this bug so we can use flick panning again.

Thank you.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines