• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PS not listed in the open with option

New Here ,
Mar 23, 2018 Mar 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cannot open an image directly into photoshop CC 2018 by right clicking. PS CC 2018 does not show as a default program in the list. I've gone into browse and tried to add it by going to Adobe, Adobe photoshop 2018, choosing the program file, but nothing.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Deleted User
Mar 24, 2018 Mar 24, 2018

If you're on Windows have a look in the registry in this location and see if the Photoshop.exe key is set

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\Photoshop.exe\shell\open\command

You should see the below

Untitled9.jpg

To open the registry just type regedit in the run command

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same old, same old: Start by checking all those other tools that clog up the contextual list and remove their system integration options via their preferences or by uninstalling them if you really don't use them. Otherwise there are enough tools out there that can help you with fixing file associations/ context handlers and customize those right-click menus. A web search will help.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you're on Windows have a look in the registry in this location and see if the Photoshop.exe key is set

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\Photoshop.exe\shell\open\command

You should see the below

Untitled9.jpg

To open the registry just type regedit in the run command

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This fixed my problem!! Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 05, 2018 May 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications does NOT have an entry for Photoshop.exe!!! (screen grab attached)  And yes, it is installed on my machine.  It is open at this moment.  What now?

screengrabRegistry.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since Photoshop.exe is NOT in my registry at the specified location (see my sceen grab above), I had to try something else.  I found this suggestion at superuser.com :  file association - Manually Add Program to Open With in Windows 10 - Super User

It did the job for the current program I am using but, WHAT THE HECK?  I now have to do this for every program that has a Open menu to do some photo editing.   Yes, every program inexplicably LOST Photoshop CC 2018 in its "Open With" list?  Yes, it used to be in the list but then disappeared with the latest update of PS CC 2018.  How did this happen?  WHY did this happen?  Anyone know?  there should be a global fix.  And also, WHY is Photoshop.exe not in the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications registry?  Grrr. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since Photoshop.exe is NOT in my registry at the specified location (see my sceen grab above), I had to try something else.  I found this suggestion at superuser.com :  file association - Manually Add Program to Open With in Windows 10 - Super User

It did the job for the current program I am using but, WHAT THE HECK?  I now have to do this for every program that has a Open menu to do some photo editing.   Yes, every program inexplicably LOST Photoshop CC 2018 in its "Open With" list?  Yes, it used to be in the list but then disappeared with the latest update of PS CC 2018.  How did this happen?  WHY did this happen?  Anyone know?  there should be a global fix.  And also, WHY is Photoshop.exe not in the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications registry?  Grrr. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 29, 2019 Apr 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I experienced the same problem with Adobe Photoshop 2019 (CC 20.0.4 Release) and your fix worked great.
Just make sure that you update the extension as follows for the 2019 releases: "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC 2019\Photoshop.exe" "%1"

Mine was still pointing to Adobe Photoshop CC 2018 for some odd reason.

FYI.... this fix also worked for Coral Draw 2019.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rachel:

This is a "file association" issue with your operating system (OS). Assuming you are on Windows 10:
How to set a default browser (or anything else) in Windows 10 | Digital Trends.

If you are on another OS, you can either google "setting the file association" for that OS, or let us know which one you are on and we can do it for you and post the link here.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 08, 2021 Jun 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC 2018\Photoshop.exe" "%1" in

both HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\Photoshop.exe\shell\edit\command and HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SystemFileAssociations\image\shell\edit\command.

When i right click and click Edit, photoshop is opened but image isn't!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 08, 2021 Jun 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Edit: right-click and click on "edit" a psd or another photoshop file, photoshop opens that file. But if i click on "edit" an image in jpg, bmp, gif, png etc. file types, photoshop doesn't open such images. Opening such files works with right-click and click on "open with".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 03, 2022 Dec 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's what worked for me to force Windows 10 to display Photoshop CC23 as an app for opening JPGs, PNGs, and even PSDs.  In the registry, navigate to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*.xxx (xxx being the extension/file type you wish to associate with Photoshop)  Open the folder of that extension.  If you do not see a KEY that reads OpenWithProgIds, you'll need to create one.   First, make a NEW KEY.  Name that new key OpenWithProgIds. Then, make a NEW STRING VALUE.  In the value name box, type Photoshop.Image.xx (xx being the version number of the current installed version of Photoshop)  In this case, I'm on version 24.0.1.    You may need to search the registry for a String Value that includes Photoshop.Image.    Once you've finished making this new key, save the registry.   Then, find a file with the file format/type you wish to associate with Photoshop.  When you right-click on the file, and then "Open With" - the latest version of Photoshop should be in that branched right-click sub-menu.  From there, scroll to Choose another app.  Another dialog box should open.  At the top of that new list should be the latest version of Photoshop.   Select it.  Then check the box that reads "always use this app to open xxx files".  That should fix the problem.   

GreggCox_0-1670102477855.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 31, 2023 May 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 31, 2023 May 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are unsure about editing the Windows Registry, there is a way using the [Open with] menus to add Photoshop as a default:

1) Select a file and choose [Open with]

2) [Choose another App]

3) Scroll down and [Choose another app on your pc]

4) In the Explorer window navigate to {C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop 2023}

5) Select {Photoshop.exe}

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 20, 2023 Sep 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks Rob. Was having the same issue and this easy solution worked perfectly. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines