• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PS will not open files

Community Beginner ,
Dec 25, 2020 Dec 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I try to open a file, jpg or psd, I receive the message "Could not complete your request because of a program error). I have uninstalled and re-installed PS and obtain the same result. Can you help?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which version of Photoshop and OS?

How much RAM and spare disk capacity do you have?

Does this happen on all/most images or just one?

Have you tried resetting your Photoshop preferences?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your prompt response on Boxing Day (for me). I am a user of low experience. I should have known to include this, Windows 10 & PS Release 22.1.0. c: drive = 903 GB total, 525 GB free.

Everything was working OK yesterday and when I started up this morning it happened on all of the files I chose which were jpg or psd files. I think the problem applies to all files. I haven't tried resetting PS preferences, not sure what I would reset with what looks like a failure with all types of files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 26, 2020 Dec 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Derek, After reading another posted problem, and considering your suggestion re preferences, I again uninstalled PS and selected not to retain existing preferences. I again installed PS which took considerably longer than previous install and it has quite a different look/feel even though both versions were shown as Release 22.1.0. I'm now up and running satisfactorily and have not encountered any problems on the small amount of work that I've done. Again, thanks for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 26, 2020 Dec 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad to hear the issue seems to have been resolved.

By the way, you reset the Photoshop preferences under the General tab in Photoshop preferences. I find I have to do it a couple of times a year to clear out corruption that can build up.

The other piece of advice I'd give you, is always  regularly make copies of your work, externally as well as internally, so you don't loose anything if this  occurs again or some other issue arises (such as "loosing" your computer!).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 02, 2021 Jan 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Derek, I save my files frequently while working on them, albiet to my c:drive. In addition, I backup, to an external HDD, the complete c: drive every Sunday evening and a differential backup every day between the full backup. I prefer my own external HDDs rather to the Cloud. Again, to you and the Adobe Support Community, thanks for helping me resolve my rather major problem. Ray aka Alfetta76

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines