• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Question about convert to profile

Enthusiast ,
Jul 06, 2021 Jul 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a Photoshop document with embedded profile sRGB. The document is "grayscale."  That is, R=G=B for all pixels. When I convert the document to AdobeRGB, I was surprised to see the RGB numbers change. For example, (23,23,23) becomes (29,29,29). The L of Lab remains the same, which indicates the tone itself has not changed. I thought grayscale RGB numbers are the same in sRGB and AdobeRGB, and that only non-grayscale numbers are different. Was I wrong to think this?

Here are my Color settings

color settings.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 06, 2021 Jul 06, 2021

Adobe RGB has a 2.2 gamma tone response curve.

sRGB has a custom TRC, close to 2.2, but not the same near the deep shadows.

Testing two profiles with exactly the same TRC would help to isolate if this is the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe RGB has a 2.2 gamma tone response curve.

sRGB has a custom TRC, close to 2.2, but not the same near the deep shadows.

Testing two profiles with exactly the same TRC would help to isolate if this is the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's interesting, and it answers my question. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, numbers will change when you convert to a different profile. That's the remapping into the target color space in order to maintain visual appearance.

In other words, this is normal and expected.

Profile conversions go through a reference color space (profile connection space), either Lab or XYZ. So Lab numbers will stay the same throughout (unless there's gamut clipping).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My question only concerned grayscale tones, and I still believe they should not change when converting between color spaces with the same gamma  I think Stephen identified the problem: it's the nonlinear gamma of sRGB.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 07, 2021 Jul 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

But few color spaces actually have the same tone response curve (gamma), so in practice you will always get this shift in numbers.

The sRGB curve is highly idiosyncratic and, especially in the shadows, very different from the regular gamma 2.2 curve in Adobe RGB. The sRGB curve is very steep in the shadows and with a flat "toe" near black.

In fact none of the standard working RGB spaces have the same tone response curve. ProPhoto is gamma 1.8. And then of course you have all the grayscale profiles, all with very different tone curves and shifting numbers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines